LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 09:01 PM

Does this pulley have a key or set screw? When set screws come loose they can spin and really mess up the shaft inside.

#17 ol' stonebreaker OFFLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,318 Thanks
  • 984 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 11:22 PM

I've had good luck drilling holes in the pulley close enough to the center so you can still get bolts thru and use the slotted jaws on my puller. I had to do this to get the wheels off my horse tiller along w/ a lot of O/A torch heat. Didn't care about getting the seals too hot as that's why the wheels had to come off. Cleaned the bores w/ my wheel cyl hone and emery on the shafts. Lots of antiseize on reassembly!!
Mike

#18 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • Member No: 40455
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 08:29 AM

Does this pulley have a key or set screw? When set screws come loose they can spin and really mess up the shaft inside.

I don't see any kind of screw on it anywhere, it looks like a pulley with a big washer under it.  Funny thing is the shaft is really clean so I expected it to come easily like the others.  It's just that the pulley seems to be soft metal and bends easily.  I'm thinking I'll try the puller again with some air impact and if that doesn't work I'll drill some holes.  If that doesn't work I may weld something to it and try and as a last resort I'll cut the S.O.B. off and buy a new one.  One thing for sure is I'm learning a lot!

Thanks all for the great discussion!

Matt

#19 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 08:54 AM

Does the pulley have a set of threads on the end?  If so you may have a tapered shaft. You should also be able to see another set of another set of threads up in the shaft the bolt for the PTO screws into.  If you do have a tapered shaft then find a bolt that will screw into the pulley then take a steel rod (about 4 ") and put it up in the shaft and screw in the bolt.  It will take quite a bit of pressure to pop it free.  I had a Yamaha a while back that had a tapered shaft and I found this solution on line. 

#20 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 10:58 AM

Have you tried heating the hub to expand it?

#21 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 12:10 PM

Have you tried heating the hub to expand it?

Yeah I have a propane torch, no oxy or anything, no luck.

#22 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 05:16 PM

So the pulley is off, let me see if I can explain what I did.

The pulley puller goes around the crankshaft above the pulley, it has two holes for bolts on the outside edge of the puller.  The puller comes with two long bolts that you thread in and they hang down, the 2nd half of the puller goes sits on the two bolt heads, then there is a threaded point that goes up into the center of the shaft, when you tighten the center bolt with the point it pulls down on the pulley.  See the attached image.

The problem is the pulley is nearly 6" wide so the puller must be opened all the way so the two holes are exposed on the outside of the pulley so you can thread the two bolts into the puller.  By having it wide it forces the puller to press on the outside edge of the pulley all the way around, crushing it when you tighten it.

What I did was put the pulley puller on and snug it right up against the crankshaft above the pulley and the bolt holes were not exposed.  There was just enough room to get my gear puller (two prong) up and over the lip of the pulley puller, then using the gear puller I pulled down on the top half of the pulley puller.  With a slight pop the pulley moved a bit and then from then on it was smooth sailing.  The pulley is a bit bent, not from what ultimately removed it but from the numerous previous attempts.  By having the pulley puller snug against the shaft the force was on the center of the pulley and I could actually torque it down.

I will attempt to salvage it but if a new one is reasonable priced I will replace it.  I will slather it up with anti-seize on reassembly.

Thank you all for the advice!  Stay tuned for the engine removal and gasket replacement!

Matt

Attached Thumbnails

• download.jpg

Edited by mattsse, April 04, 2014 - 05:18 PM.

• Gabriel said thank you

#23 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 07:01 PM

Glad you got the pulley off. :dancingbanana:

• Gabriel said thank you