#16 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 08:23 PM

Marty was one of my favorite performers.  He is a whole lot of fun to watch perform on the old videos.  He was definitely in a class by himself.  His voice was so strong and versatile. 

Let's take a poll.  Who can recite El Paso flawlessly from end to end besides me?

Ben W.

My wife and I took my Mom to see Marty in 1980 and I don't think I ever saw an enteretainer that seemed to genuinely have so much fun doing his job! My wife got his autograph on her Mom's "Gunfighter" album at that time. Merle Haggard was his lead in performer, who was great also. Good thing you said "recite" because I sure couldn't sing it! It was a pretty long song for the time it came out.

Sammy Davis Jr:

This is absolutely amazing! Thanks for posting it!

There is a show on the Velocity channel with Ray Everham. he travels the back woods looking for old special cars and restores them. He recently found a Marty Robbins old 777, Plymouth Belvedere.

They actually found the guy who originally did the lettering and had him redo it again, 50 yrs later, when they restored it.

http://americarnatv.com/projects/

I was never into the old westerns, but going through my dad's old 33's, I may have some old records you could have Jim. Not sure he has any old country, he was more into Southern Gospel when I was little.

I heard about that but we don't get the network. This link will let me see it! Thanks!

One of my favorite Marty R. songs but the acoustics on this suck...  

I grew up listening to this music too..  

Great songs! "All I Have To Offer You is Me" is my favorite by Charley Pride!

This pic was on Marty's "Devil Woman" album cover,

P.S. I hope this isn't getting away from the "Cowboy" theme of this thread but I dig the women of country music too, listening to a bunch of Patsy Cline right now.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• 58813_10152757801765195_667813986_n.jpg

• KennyP, WNYTractorTinkerer and Sawdust have said thanks

#17 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 08:30 PM

My wife and I took my Mom to see Marty in 1980 and I don't think I ever saw an enteretainer that seemed to genuinely have so much fun doing his job! My wife got his autograph on her Mom's "Gunfighter" album at that time. Merle Haggard was his lead in performer, who was great also. Good thing you said "recite" because I sure couldn't sing it! It was a pretty long song for the time it came out.

P.S. I hope this isn't getting away from the "Cowboy" theme of this thread but I dig the women of country music too, listening to a bunch of Patsy Cline right now.

DAC

I always wished I could have seen him.  From the videos, I think it would have been worth it. 

Patsy Cline is a lot of fun, too.  She has a great voice.  The Nashville sound era she came out of sure is different from cowboy music, but I enjoy it too.  Jim Reeves, Eddy Arnold, Chet Atkins...

Ben W.

• KennyP, MFDAC, WNYTractorTinkerer and 1 other said thanks

#18 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 08:34 PM

My grandfather painted a picture of Marty Robbins.He died way too early.

• MFDAC, superaben and Sawdust have said thanks

#19 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 7,654 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 08:48 PM

How about Burl Ives?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=j2klh2cTa_Q

. . . or maybe you prefer Vaughn Monroe.

Edited by LilysDad, April 03, 2014 - 08:49 PM.

• MFDAC, WNYTractorTinkerer and Sawdust have said thanks

#20 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 09:40 PM

I agree with that.  I would love to know how Marty would have continued to influence the direction of country music through the years.

Ben W.

• MFDAC and Sawdust have said thanks

#21 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 09:41 PM

How about Burl Ives?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=j2klh2cTa_Q

. . . or maybe you prefer Vaughn Monroe.

Ghost Riders in the Sky is a great song.  I think nearly everyone has a version of that.  My favorite version was made by the Sons of the Pioneers.

Ben W.

• KennyP, MFDAC and Sawdust have said thanks

#22 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 09:42 PM

Sammy Davis Jr:

I never knew this about Sammy. I always thought him & Dean Martin were funny together.

#23 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 09:46 PM

There is a show on the Velocity channel with Ray Everham. he travels the back woods looking for old special cars and restores them. He recently found a Marty Robbins old 777, Plymouth Belvedere.

They actually found the guy who originally did the lettering and had him redo it again, 50 yrs later, when they restored it.

http://americarnatv.com/projects/

I was never into the old westerns, but going through my dad's old 33's, I may have some old records you could have Jim. Not sure he has any old country, he was more into Southern Gospel when I was little.

Sounds good Marty thanks.  I seen that show of Ray's a few times but haven't seen it anymore. I enjoyed watching them. Hendrick Motor Sports had something to do with that. 

#24 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 09:59 PM

Guys don't worry about hijacking or off topic, this is some good stuff. You guys have blew the dust off of some good ole legends. Marty actually died one month after his last Nascar race. On this video of Don't Worry About Me at 1:26 was a blown amplifier that was not intended. They didn't realize it until the play back. They liked the sound so well they left it that way.

Edited by Sawdust, April 03, 2014 - 10:10 PM.

• MFDAC and superaben have said thanks

#25 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 10:13 PM

Any Johnny Horton fans. North to Alaska

• KennyP, MFDAC, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#26 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 11:06 PM

Guys don't worry about hijacking or off topic, this is some good stuff. You guys have blew the dust off of some good ole legends. Marty actually died one month after his last Nascar race. On this video of Don't Worry About Me at 1:26 was a blown amplifier that was not intended. They didn't realize it until the play back. They liked the sound so well they left it that way.

Fuzztone is what they called it!

There's one here.  I love his historical songs.  Battle of New Orleans was only one of a whole album. 

Ben W.

• MFDAC said thank you

#27 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 11:07 PM

Any Hank Snow fans here?  Anyone been everywhere, man?

Ben W.

• KennyP, Username, MFDAC and 1 other said thanks

#28 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 08:04 AM

Steve Martin is another one that many people don't know about:

#29 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 12:40 PM

Some great stuff here, I didn't really discover country and especially older country until I was in college, used to drive some of my dorm mates nuts listening to it!!  I always loved the truck driving songs by Red Sovine like Phantom 309.  

#30 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 09:38 PM

Wow! do you have a pic of it? Would dig seeing it!

I agree with that.  I would love to know how Marty would have continued to influence the direction of country music through the years.

Ben W.

When he did "El Paso City" a decade or two after "El Paso" I think that made a lot of people aware of the traditional Cowboy music again. I think he truely loved the roots he came from.

Ghost Riders in the Sky is a great song.  I think nearly everyone has a version of that.  My favorite version was made by the Sons of the Pioneers.

Ben W.

Everyone did a version of that song it seemed like, but I usually like original versions of most any song and agree here too. I sort of remember a TV show they were on and a product that I think was called "20 Mule Team Borax" sponsored it? Maybe it has already been noted but I think Ken Curtis-"Festus" was one of the original members? 

A few artists reminisced about those "Singing Cowboy" years later too. Ed Bruce had a great song in the later '70s called "The Last Cowboy Song", and even The Marshall Tucker Band did a tune called "Last of the Singing Cowboys" in the early 1980's. So many writers and singers were influenced by the originals like Gene and Roy. When I was 4 or 5 I had a little red Roy Rogers guitar. I remember a picture but it was lost in a flood.  

Love that song and movie! We will have to watch it again! His historical songs were mentioned by Supraben who I forgot to quote.

"Sinking of the Bismarck" I think it was called is my Favorite!

Great thread!---DAC

• Sawdust said thank you