• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 05, 2014 - 06:47 AM

The Polaris has held up  well.I have rolled on its side twice ,the last time it pinned my leg underneath.so I laid  there for an hour or so.till my co workers came to my rescue.  

Other than that all we have done is service it.  It is an 07 model .  That now has a ton of miles .cruising  corn,bean and alfalfa fields in northeast Iowa and southern Minnesota.

Edited by rdehli, April 05, 2014 - 06:48 AM.

#17 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 06:56 AM

The Polaris has held up  well.I have rolled on its side twice ,the last time it pinned my leg underneath.so I laid  there for an hour or so.till my co workers came to my rescue.  

Other than that all we have done is service it.  It is an 07 model .  That now has a ton of miles .cruising  corn,bean and alfalfa fields in northeast Iowa and southern Minnesota.

Sounds like our 05 Honda 450 4Trax we bought new in 06.  We have abused the heck out of it and it has never let us down.  It still has the original spark plug in it even.  Only parts put into it have been brakes & tires, but she's ready for a new seat cover.  Our Honda doesn't look nearly as sharp as your Polaris, but then it's not ran into the nasty environment the Honda travels.  We ride the Honda HARD & she's put up wet, yet she keeps on truckin!

#18 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 08:15 AM

Good to hear.  I've always been a Polaris fan myself.  Owned quite a few and still have a 2000 Scrambler 500 4x4.  Currently broken, but it was my fault.

#19 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 08:30 AM

I was never a Polaris fan, but being I used to do ATV repair years ago, I had a ton of catastrophic Polaris engine failures come into the shop.  Earlier models weren't as good as the later IMO.  Plus I never liked belt drive, but in today's ATV world, I may have to adjust!  Back then, the Honda's that came in were almost zero engine repairs, rather brakes, an occasional final drive failure, or electrical gremlins.   

The big 4 stroke Polaris always peaked my interests though.  Been a long time since I've dealt with any Polaris.  There is a large Polaris dealer near me.  At one time, the dealer selling the most Polaris machines nation wide was in Munfordville, Ky near me.  I knew the owner well, but he got to living the high life too much & lost his dealership and ultimately his entire business.

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 09:58 AM

I agree, Polaris has its problems, still does in fact.  My Scrambler 500 has never had the engine opened up.  She is 14 years old.  A compression test will quickly tell you its time for a rebuild.  Way past time.  It's a feat to get it running and warmed up.  But once she is, watch out!  I blew the front U-Joint and hub completely apart awhile stuck in a mud hole just holding it wide open.

It's also only had 1 replacement belt in its life time.  Probably has needed a new one for awhile. 

It would cost more money to rebuild it and fix all the broken stuff than its worth.  I do have a used hub and axle for it, just have no time to finish it.  My Dad usually rides it around when its running.

We currently have Hondas as our cruise the back roads and trails rigs.  2013 Rancher 420ES 4x4 and a 2012 Recon ES.  Next Spring there will be either a new RZR 800S or a Artic Cat Wildcat Trail side by side in the garage.  Side by Sides are so much better.

Edited by toomanytoys84, April 05, 2014 - 09:59 AM.

#21 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,626 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 01:46 PM

Side by Sides are so much better.

I would still need my 4-Trax for maneuverability when chasing cows & such, but I would love to have a good stout side by side for the slower chores & just cruising.  They would be super for carrying lots of stuff, like for fence mending & the like.  Hard to keep all the stuff on the rack of the Honda when fencing.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#22 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 02:31 PM

I would still need my 4-Trax for maneuverability when chasing cows & such, but I would love to have a good stout side by side for the slower chores & just cruising.  They would be super for carrying lots of stuff, like for fence mending & the like.  Hard to keep all the stuff on the rack of the Honda when fencing.

I agree for work.  My stuff is mostly for play.  My 4 wheeler might be used 10% for work out of all the run time that's on it.  Most of the time that's just pulling a wagon behind it to gather up some junk in the yard

My main reason for really liking the side by side is I can put the 4 year olds car seat in it, strap it down, and buckle her in with a helmet and I don't have to worry.  We can cruise all day long and have a blast and she is nice in safe in a roll cage, seat belt, and helmet.

Edited by toomanytoys84, April 05, 2014 - 02:32 PM.

#23 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 06, 2014 - 09:22 AM

This is my second Polaris.  The first one was a 300 Hawkeye   a true cheap P O S     ran the wheels off it for 5 years  and it was toast. I really wanted a side by side , but it just was not in the budget,  so my boss picked out this sportsman 500, it is twice the machine that the 300 was,  I really like the clearance, for driving in corn stalks.  I get very little trash inside the undercarriage,  where the 300 I was stopping 3-4 times a day to clean the trash out of the undercarriage.  I have a ton of  miles on this one.  and it has a lot of life left .  I hope to get 2 more years out of it then  get a side by side with an automatic soil probe. My ride does not pull anything ever,  just mapping and measuring fields.   

Edited by rdehli, April 06, 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#24 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 09, 2014 - 07:07 PM

Started pulling soil samples and mapping fields today, bottom ground was a bit slimy on top. here are some pics of my day. Spent most of the day sampling and mapping by the Upper Iowa River. there are some real nice flat bottoms there.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5129 (Custom).JPG
  • IMG_5130 (Custom).JPG
  • IMG_5131 (Custom).JPG
  • IMG_5132 (Custom).JPG
  • IMG_5133 (Custom).JPG

• olcowhand, broken2, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#25 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 09, 2014 - 07:09 PM

the rest of the week I will be in hilly ground  I will post more pics as I go. 

• HDWildBill, EricR and Gabriel have said thanks

#26 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 08:46 PM

Started pulling soil samples and mapping fields today, bottom ground was a bit slimy on top. here are some pics of my day. Spent most of the day sampling and mapping by the Upper Iowa River. there are some real nice flat bottoms there.

Very pretty area! Thanks for the pics!

the rest of the week I will be in hilly ground  I will post more pics as I go. 

Looking forward to the pics!

#27 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 08:07 AM

How do your tires hold up to the bean stubble?  I've seen combine tires that looked bad from running on bean stubble. 

#28 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 12, 2014 - 07:09 PM

Soybean stubble is nasty on tires.  Some farmers also have knife rolls on there corn headshots cut the corn stalks at about 6 inches or so .  They are really nasty too.  My tires are full of rubber plugs.  .

• Cvans and Gabriel have said thanks

#29 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 12, 2014 - 07:10 PM

Covered 300 acres this week.  Good week.  Next week will be crazy.  More pics conning when I head out.  

• Gabriel said thank you

#30 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 22, 2014 - 08:34 PM

finally got back to the field today after 2.75 inches of rain over the weekend,  headed north to South East Minnesota.  got 500 acres done today.  Will post pics soon forgot my camera in the work truck tonight.  Gotta head to the shower to get the dirt outa my eyes.  it was windy all day up here , dust was flying, and so was the poooo wagons!    they are way bigger than the wheeler and me . 

• Gabriel said thank you