• 4 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 11:22 AM

i bought a used set of tires for my puller
they are worn down but not to bad down to 80%
i do plain to cut these down for pulling
but!!
i want to know how to go about doing this
would like to see some pictures of tires that are cut and explain how u did this
and if u pulled with them how did they do
no ideas are dum
will take any ideas
tires size i will be useing is 23x10.5x12
dont kare what sizes u used
just dont want to know how to cut pro tires
any help would be nice :confuse:

#2 Josh Smith OFFLINE  

Josh Smith

• Member No: 769
  • 7 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 02:40 AM

Hello Bud Ill try and help you the best I can. The best andvice I can give you on making your tires better is to double cut them. Now the existing lugs that are ther should be sharpened youll do that by cutting a little fron the fron of the lug down towrds the tire and then take a little off the top of the lug and rounding the back edge a little not much though because if you take out to much depending on what kind of tire you have the lugs will get weaker and increase the chance of lug fold. Now to do the double cut youll take a chalk pencil (what I use ) and make a mark in the center between each lug and some what shape your own lug by cutting down into the tire about a 1/4in or a little more then keep taking rubber away from the front side of the line untill you have a small lug about the same length as the original bar but about a 1/4in deep give or take. Brian Miller explains this in more detail with pictures on his site and make no mistake double cutting will help grip tremendously. Go to www.gardentractorpullingtips.com scroll down untill you see his shortcuts to whichever portion you wish I cannot remember which part it is but it will say in the shortcuts part there is lots of useful info on ther good luck thanks Josh

#3 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted June 25, 2011 - 08:00 PM

Well you didnt happen to say if they are cepek tires or carlisle tires.cepeks are cheveron cut while carlisles are more like a regular bar type tire.most cepeks are cut to 5/8s and sharpened with a hand grinder,carlisles are different.but if you want to leard to do it and do it right,josh told you right,check out brian millers site,he has the goodies to explain and show you how to do it,regardless of make,cepek,lawntec,carlisle ect.we pull with 26x12x12 tires is our tire size on all our classes.