• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • Member No: 54810
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 10:35 AM

My question concerns the DB moldboard plow.

From reading the manual I know that the coulter position of the plow is fixed at the factory and cannot be changed. Supposedly it is set for optimal performance on this type of plow.

When I look at the coulter position on my plow, the position doesn't seem right.

Original post edited below.....

Okay, I added these photos so that everyone would have a better picture of what I asked previously....

If you notice on the photos the coulter is running right above the shear but to, (what I think is the wrong side of the point). Since the coulter is supposed to clean the "brush" and also cut the furrow wall it seems to me that it should be to the left side of the plow point, (if viewing from the back of the plow).

What I think might have happened is that someone tore this plow down and reassembled it incorrectly with the coulter on the wrong side of the beam. I've done a little bit of measuring and if the coulter was mounted on the other side of the beam it would be riding right alongside of the plow point like I think it's supposed to.

The "head on" photos are the show the positioning of the coulter in relation to the point.

The side photo is to show what side the coulter is currently mounted on.

Please let me know if this setup is incorrect.

If so it should be an easy and quick fix to swap sides.

Also if you'll notice on the "side" photo there is a little square spacer on the rearward bolt. Is this spacer supposed to be on the back bolt or the front? I realize that it's supposed to hold the coulter at a little bit of an angle. I just want to make sure that it's positioned correctly.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails

• plow1.JPG
  • plow2.JPG
  • plow3.JPG

Edited by Likesspace, April 02, 2014 - 07:43 PM.

• trowel said thank you

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 03:19 PM

Not a plow man, but i am thinking the same as you. I do plow in the Dundas Plowing Match held here in PEI in August, but only do it for fun and If I happened to beat a fellow plower, then that makes it even more fun. Noel

• trowel and Likesspace have said thanks

#3 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 07:00 PM

Propane1..

Thanks for the reply.

I think I'll go out and snap a closeup pic of the coulter positioning so every can see what I'm talking about.

Thanks again.

• trowel and propane1 have said thanks

#4 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 08:08 PM

Okay, I went ahead and flipped the coulter to the other side of the beam and now it looks right.

It's running just barely on the left side of the plow point which is where I envisioning it doing what it's supposed to.

The only question that I have now is concerning the little square washer/spacer on the coulter bracket, (see the side shot photo...the spacer under the rear bolt).

I currently have the spacer under the rear bolt which causes the coulter to slant just a little to the right of the plow point.

Of course if I would move it to the front bolt is would move the coulter to the left of the plow point and possibly cut a more square furrow wall.

If someone could look at their plow and tell me what bolt the spacer is supposed to be under it would be greatly appreciated.

• trowel said thank you

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 08:24 PM

Dude, your plow is bent!  Someone snagged a rock & twisted the point to the left.

6c.jpg DSCN1811.JPG DSCN1812.JPG DSCN1821.JPG DSCN1846.JPG DSCN1847.JPG DSCN1848.JPG DSCN1849.JPG DSCN3083.JPG DSCN3084.JPG DSCN3087.JPG DSCN3088.JPG DSCN3089.JPG DSCN3090.JPG DSCN3091.JPG DSCN3092.JPG DSCN3093.JPG DSCN3094.JPG DSCN3094.JPG DSCN3095.JPG DSCN3096.JPG DSCN3097.JPG DSCN3098.JPG DSCN3099.JPG DSCN3100.JPG DSCN3101.JPG DSCN3102.JPG DSCN3103.JPG DSCN3104.JPG

• Alc, trowel and Likesspace have said thanks

#6 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 08:54 PM

Canadian......

Thank you so much for the photos!

Actually the plow is not bent but the coulter WAS mounted on the wrong side of the beam. If you look at the photos I posted the coulter was mounted just opposite of yours!

I was sure that this was the problem but your pics have confirmed my suspicions. 

I still can't tell if the square spacer is supposed to be on the front, (towards the tractor) bolt or the rear bolt but it sort of looks like it should be on the bolt that is toward the tractor, side.

I'd thank your post twice if I could. Those photos helped a LOT!

• trowel said thank you

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 09:02 PM

If you are talking about part #13, it goes to the rear of the bracket, between the part with the DB label (#9) and the outer coulter bracket (#10).  See pic 5 thru 8 of my last post.

57552_Page_03.jpg 57552_Page_09.jpg

6b.jpg DSCN1807.JPG DSCN1810.JPG DSCN1814.JPG

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, April 02, 2014 - 09:05 PM.

• Alc, trowel and Likesspace have said thanks

#8 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 09:20 PM

New.Cadadian.DB.Owner....

Those pictures and the description is perfect! I currently have the spacer on the wrong side of the plow but in the right position.

Just as I suspected by moving the spacer to your location that will move the coulter into the position that will allow the plow to cut a square furrow.

I'm so glad I questioned how my plow was set up. Something didn't seem right from the first time I looked at it and now I know exactly what the problem was. I've said it before but I'll say it again.....I definitely picked the right forum when I signed up for this one!

Thank you so much for your help!

• MH81, trowel and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#9 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 09:30 PM

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: im glad your all set, Canada, you kicked a$$ :rolling:smoking hot thread, should be a sticky!!

Edited by trowel, April 02, 2014 - 09:31 PM.

• Likesspace said thank you

#10 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 09:39 PM

One other thing about my plow..

It does not have the adjustment bolts on the roller plate, like the ones in Canadian's photos. I read somewhere on the web that certain models do not have this adjustment.

It looks like the only thing that I have to worry about is the wheel width on the axle.....the heel setting and the crank, (point), setting. 

Again, I can't thank you enough. You just made things SO much easier for me.

• trowel and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 10:06 PM

Your welcome.

The 8 inch was well after the 6 inch about when the big 5 came out, DB decided it was cheaper and better to ''preset'' the landslide suction, rarely if ever is the landside adjusted so i would not worry too much about it.

• Alc, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Likesspace have said thanks