• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 4,887 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 07:56 AM

My son is officially a new driver in the state of Ohio, passed his test yesterday. Told my wife I could see the hairs on my head turning gray, well, what hair I have left. :D

Not sure if I need ot be happy or cry! Now he needs to go get a job!

He failed the first time, right as he hit the railroad track crossing, lights came on, he let off the gas. Tester stated he made a "dangerous move" and thought he was stopping on the tracks when he didn't he just starlted him for a second. This guy fails almost everyone the first time with him. My wife said he acted like a jerk just talking to him.

So looks like he will be driving Tahoe for now and then move onto the 85 Chevy 4x4 I bought for him a while back that needs a bunch of work still.

• Alc, hamman, tinbender7 and 7 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,979 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 08:00 AM

Congrats to your Son, and an EVEN BIGGER CONGRATS TO YOUR INSURANCE AGENT.  He said that's to you his trip to the Hawaii is now secured.

• Alc, boyscout862 and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,663 Thanks
  • 39,046 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 08:04 AM

Congrats to your son! I remember that day, but it's a bit fuzzy now!

• tinbender7 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 08:33 AM

My condolences. Your expenses and worries have just skyrocketted. They grow up and we worry more until they move away. Then it seems to get a little easier.

Working with him to fix up the 85 Chevy is a good way to teach him about care and repair. Teach him about the cost of deferring maintenance. The old trucks are more protection around him except for the saddle tanks. I'm planning a major rebuild on my 85 C10 starting in a few weeks. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, April 02, 2014 - 08:35 AM.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#5 twostep OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,849 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 08:40 AM

Congrat's and condolences.

'85 K10... wow I hope he gets a good paying job or he will be working for the gas money to get to and from work!!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 08:41 AM

Just went through that with our granddaughter.  The day she got her license she calls me up and says she wants to go over to her girlfriends house in the next town.  My heart jumped in my throat !  I was not prepared for that.

Like Rick said, working with him will be good experience for him but also a good memory builder for the two of you. :thumbs:  Just think now you can send him after the part you forgot to get.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 09:01 AM

That's a great moment for father & son. Mine has had his for about four years now. He failed his first too. The lady said he didn't signal when he changed lanes. He was in a subdivision with one lane & had to simply move over to avoid hitting a kid on a bike....she was a jerk too. He has been good. My two daughters were another story. One was so careful she was dangerous & the other way too fast & radio too loud. :mad2:  

• superspeedex said thank you

#8 Guest_rdehli_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 02, 2014 - 09:05 AM

Congrats from Iowa.
Our oldest Daughter is 13, in Iowa they can get there learning permit at 14 then the license at 16. So our fun is just around the corner. I cannot wait!
  • HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#9 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,380 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 09:14 AM

yep, congrats to your son - and: I think, our parents had the same problems when we got the driving licence... over 40 years ago.

• HDWildBill said thank you

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,419 Thanks
  • 4,887 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 11:38 AM

Thanks all.

We have already discussed when he gets to just grab the keys and take off. He already said, "Well, we got three cars. As long as I got the keys and some gas money, what's the problem"  DOH!!! :wallbanging:

He was pretty much kidding though. I know he will want to drive eventually, but for now, we think he got his license because he knows he needed them. We have to drop off and pick him up for school every day due to no busing and we have pushed him to get them to make it easier on us. I think he is gun shy from just taking off running around, not to mention he is a home body.

Oh and he will get to work on the truck, thata's how I learned. He's doing that now wiht his DB 725 too.

I bought my first car at 14 1/2 ( 1972 Cutlass S) and spent the time working on it and learning it, man that was hard having a car and not being able to drive.

I was actually surprised at the insurance, we put him on the Tahoe, not my Firebird. It comes up to about $1150 per year extra, I was expecting double that. He WILL BE getting a job soon too if he plans to be running around and need gas money.

Momma did it, I did it, now it's his turn to learn it!

Bobby, not sure what you are talking about  hahaha. It's only got a warmed over 1971 350 in it from a '71 ElCamino, it was raed at 265 Hp factory, but someone has been in it, it's got some cam lope to it. It's almost to much motor for him, but he will learn. :smilewink:

• Sawdust and superspeedex have said thanks

#11 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,890 Thanks
  • 3,120 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 03:32 PM

I have two that drive but are older now and look after them selfs, But I still don't have any extra cash, oh well.  Congratulations to you and  son. Noel

• TAHOE and Sawdust have said thanks