wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 10:59 PM

First of all these gearboxes (peerless 1000 & 1050) are getting hard to find and down right pricy used. So I know they will growl because I can just spin them by hand and hear the growl. Obviously this is bearing related and or lack of oil related. So I ask, how much growl is too much?
I can buy all new gaskets, seals, and bearing s for 70 bucks per gearbox and get rid of the growl, but I have five gearboxes. They still work, just louder. I can get the gaskets only for 10 bucks a pair roughly. Then I can just get fresh oil in them and run them, but would still need seals. I mean what is this, am I crazy, they spin 3000 rpm, and are used in the tractor drive train. Is anyone have any thoughts as to the best fix on this now extinct gearbox?

If I want growl free it is 70 bucks a gearbox and I have to rebuild them.
If I want to shut them up a little it would be seals, gaskets, and fresh oil. Probably 30 bucks a gearbox.
Replacement is not an option anymore due to no new ones available, and used will need the same treatments most likely.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, April 01, 2014 - 11:01 PM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 11:54 PM

So far I have lucked out. I went through them on the sears and MF decks, All I needed to do was strip and clean them good, I made the gaskets and shims, then all I had to buy was the seals. The bearings where all in great shape.

What I found odd was that depending on what brand tractor they are used on determined if they where to use grease or gear oil. I used red grease and they are holding up great. I would think that using gear oil would quiet them down better ( I think Alan recommends this also??)but as of right now they only whine slightly.

As far as what you should do? I would at least take a set apart, clean them up good and see what looks to be bad.

One nice thing about these gear boxes is the fact that most everything is the same on them,the only real difference is usually the input and out put shaft. I had one RH box with a broken mounting flange ear, I had a spare LH box that was good, all I had to do was swap the parts over. As the housings are all the same.

Remember also, if the bearings look good and you don't have a ton of end play or run out on the shafts. Just keep them lubed up and you'll be fine. the noise could just be wear on the gears them selves.

If you do take them apart make sure you put the gears back on the same shafts other wise they could make more noise!

PICT1351.JPG PICT1338.JPG

Also Casey, on mine the biggest reason for the noise was lack of lube and being dirty from bad seals.

• Alc, wvbuzzmaster, IamSherwood and 3 others have said thanks

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 12:04 AM

I know lubrication is a biggie, and that is what confused me, the manual says (and I converted it to cups to look at measuring cups) something like 3/4 of a cup of oil or something, that doesn't seem like enough to me. Obviously if I open them they will always get fresh seals and gaskets, and oil, but I considered filling them half full of oil, being more than the book says.

Edited by wvbuzzmaster, April 02, 2014 - 12:05 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 12:06 AM

All my gearboxes are the RH models.

#5 adolphsson09 OFFLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 12:30 AM

I have the same predicament with the Durst A160 gearboxes I use on my Massey 4850 tillers Input shaft gear is impossible to find Spend the money now if you are not able to find the gears you want to protect them at all costs I add some of the Lucas oil additive for the gearboxes to the oil and or grease as it helps to keep the gear box running cooler and quieter You want to keep those gears as cool as possible

• wvbuzzmaster, chris m and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 05:40 AM

Casey , does the growl come from the bearings that are tight but have imperfections in the balls/ races ? Or are they so worn and loose the growl is from right angle gears ?

• wvbuzzmaster and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,544 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 06:38 AM

If you want to keep them atleast clean and lube them. There is probably a generic seal for under $5 that will work, you just have to find it at a bearing distributor. Its a matter for some money and time now, or more money later. I'm going through the same thing with my ACs and a Snapper on their bevel gear boxes. Good Luck, Rick
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#8 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 10:58 AM

Casey , does the growl come from the bearings that are tight but have imperfections in the balls/ races ? Or are they so worn and loose the growl is from right angle gears ?

there is looseness in the gears, but i can hear the bearings imperfections, but the bearings are tight, although i havent openned the cases yet. I will this weekend, but some the seals are bad and something causes that, sometimes time, sometimes dirt, sometimes bearings.
  • Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 05:33 AM

I wonder if it's just one bearing that gets the most abuse , if all boxes use the same parts , maybe you could order one complete set , rebuild it , go through the bearing and maybe save them for the next box and order what you need for the next one right down  the list . IDK how the quality is on these but on my car I bought the mid price front hub bearings for my car at Rock Auto one side lasted under 20K  went to Advance Auto and got a TRW bearing thinking it was just  a fluke but the other side only made it to 30K lol 

• wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted May 15, 2015 - 08:22 PM

What I found odd was that depending on what brand tractor they are used on determined if they where to use grease or gear oil. I used red grease and they are holding up great. I would think that using gear oil would quiet them down better ( I think Alan recommends this also??)but as of right now they only whine slightly.

Chris, just ran into one with grease when the other has oil leaking out, and both from the same brand of tractor, thinking the grease one is real lol. I opened it and stuffed it with more grease and worked it in some. Oddly is that there is no grease zerk on these, where I have seen others with zerks in the covers. Thinking of drilling the cover of mine for adding a zerk so I can add more grease later. Not sure how grease would get out, but it was only half full to begin with... Oddly.