nominations featured tractor

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rdehli_*

• Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 02, 2014 - 07:12 PM

this should be a real cool month ...Lets see some tractors.
  • SamMC and PertinonuH have said thanks

#2 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 05:51 PM

Now thats what I call modified Lowell!! I guess I should have waited to make sure there weren't going to be any wringers, before I decided to throw my Case in the mix!  :bigrofl:  Very nice work. :thumbs:

• grnspot110 said thank you

#3 Guest_rdehli_*

• Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 03, 2014 - 06:08 PM

WOW I like them both! awesome jobs guys...
  • grnspot110 and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#4 Cublover OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9512
  • 90 Thanks
  • 110 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 05:42 PM

I have been thinking of doing that with a couple old Cub Cadets I have. Very nice job.

#5 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,748 Thanks
  • 1,393 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 08:11 PM

WOW I like them both! awesome jobs guys...

I can't say it any better.

I'm wondering if you might have scared off all the other potential entries !

• grnspot110 and propane1 have said thanks

#6 nbent OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8320
  • 627 Thanks
  • 519 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 10:02 PM

i was going to submit one of mine, but now i think i will wait for the ugly tractor to do it 

#7 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,875 Thanks
  • 3,111 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 05:03 PM

I was going to enter, but not now, wow nice jobs and a lot of thinking. Noel

• grnspot110 said thank you

#8 hamman ONLINE  

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,519 Thanks
  • 2,551 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 08:34 AM

I have nothing to top those !   Nice job on both. Good Luck !                                                                                                            Roger.

• grnspot110 and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#9 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,379 Thanks
  • 3,959 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 11:44 AM

I have nothing to top those !   Nice job on both. Good Luck !                                                                                                            Roger.

please guys, don't forget the "olypic mindset": being there is what matters

• hamman said thank you

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,238 Thanks
  • 29,693 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 05:24 PM

Come on guys....ya'll afraid of a Case & John Deere???????   Get those nominations in!!!!!!   :D

#11 oldmanmopar OFFLINE  

• Member No: 55570
  • 86 Thanks
  • 47 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 04:10 AM

Just joined and I see already this is going to be great.

#12 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 11:38 PM

I thought the mods I did to my Case 646 were pretty darn nice but by comparison I'm an amateur, great work guys!!

#13 Guest_rdehli_*

• Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 15, 2014 - 06:55 AM

these are all such cool mods ...great to see. 

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,652 Thanks
  • 1,681 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 07:59 AM

I was looking  for lawn tractors over winter that I could sell in the spring, so I placed an ad on craigslist.  Some guy called me and said he had a 1973 637 Simplicity lawn tractor for sale for $50.  He lives about 10 miles north of me, so I decided to go look at it.

It was a little small to my liking, but it was cheap so I took it.  It didn't run, so it sat at my place for about 3 months before a friend of mine saw it.  He wanted me to restore it so i loaded it up and took it to a small sandblasting place in my  neighborhood. In a  week it was done. I brought it back home and tore it down, then took it to be powder coated.  I had never herd of any one doing that to a lawn tractor, but it i decided to do it any way. Because the guy wanted something easy to start, I went with a used  5hp Honda engine.

Looks like a superbeetle (has the grill/vents in the front under the hood)

• panzersarebest said thank you

#15 Hammerdown OFFLINE  

• Member No: 46960
  • 127 Thanks
  • 74 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 09:13 AM

I found an add on Craig's list for this 1991 John Deere 316 and answered it. The seller offered the Tractor, a 50" mowing deck a Power flow bagger and a spare floor pan for $200.00 Not running. When I got there we tried to start it using Jumper cables and the engine would Not turn over. He then dropped his price to $75.00 and I offered him $50.00 as I did not know what I was getting here and it looked to be only Parts. He accepted my offer so home it came, I just had to Rescue it as it was Not far from being scrapped and I felt it deserved to be rescued and Built back to how it used to be Rather than scrapped out. . The engine is a Factory Placed Onan P-218. I found it's wiring harness cut and wires in the wrong spot so once I hooked them, up where they belonged it turned over. I gave it a shot of either and it came to life, so we ran a temperorary gas line down into my 2-1/2 Gallon Gas Can and it started up and ran perfect. The Hour meter was working and showed just 349.2 Hours on it. The steering wheel still had the raised Nubbie portions on it so we feel as though the hour meter was correct on this Tractor, so I decided to Build it for my son in law who was wanting a John Deere Tractor. The reason it looked so rough was that it spent most of it's Life In Stuart, Florida very close to the ocean salt Air and the failed powder coat paint caused the body panels to rust badly. I stripped it to the rolling Chassis and repainted all of the Tractor in stages. The Original 50" Mowing deck was bent Badly so I located a part's Tractor model 317 and we robbed the 48" mowing deck off of it. I Transfered all of the Mowing deck blade spindles from the 50" deck to the 48" deck then painted it all as I did the entire Tractor. it is now completed and sitting in my son in law's Garage he has Mowed twice with it and it runs perfect. We have exactly $632.00 in it finished and the Project took me 6-1/2 weeks to complete the build.  Regards, Hammerdown

Here is how it looked the day that I bought it and Brought it home

Here is how it turned out.

Here it is the first time he mowed with it he is very Pleased with it.

Hello All

I am Deeply Humbled by all of the Thank's my Thread has drawn here. This Build was a Tough one on me as I was recovering from having half of my right Kidney removed due to a cancerous Tumor. Prior to that surgery I had a Major Back surgery that had to fuse completly before I could do much of anything the back surgeon told me that I had to wait for my Back to fuse so I laid around Six Month's prior to locating this restore project John Deere 316 Tractor.I was fused from my Tail bone to my rib cage and Three steel rod's and Plates were Placed, so it was a slow drawn out Process of restoring it as I was weak and would get tired quickly, But I knew that Spring was coming and that my son in law was going to need this Tractor to mow with so that was my driving force behind getting it completed. He has Not had any issues with it snce I built it for him it has run perfect and mow's  his Yard very nice. I suspect this Tractor will last Longer than I will, and maybe my Grand children will get it to enjoy down the road to remember me by.Here are some More Picture's during it's resoration process I hope you enjoy them Regards, Hammerdown

The Body metal panel's of this Tractor were rusted and Deeply Pitted. I had to sand them down and apply Body filler to all of the panel's to fill the Very Deep rust Pit's. The Tractor spent most of it's Life in Stuart, Florida very close to the ocean so when the factory Powder coat Paint failed and peeled rust and Deep Pit's took over due to the airborne Salt air in that area. I could not find another donor Tractor for the body panel's so I had to fix what we had. The left rear corner of the floor Pan was smashed badly but I was able to straighten it out before Panting it all

Here is how it looked once I stripped it down to restore the chassis and wheels

Here it is with the rolling Chassis stripped down sanded and Painted as well as it wheel's

I had to apply a skim coat of Body filler to all of the metal panel's before I was able to prime them to fill The deep piit's here is what it looked like during that process.,.

This show's how rusty the floor pan was after I used a Total of  36-Grade 40 Grit D-A sanding disc's to get the Power Coat off and sand it down to the bare metal. There were rust hole's through the foot Postion of the floor pan on both side's of it that I patched with steel patches and welded them into place with my Gas torch

Here is how it looked just prior to me Priming it the entire floor pan was covered with body fiiller to make it smooth again and fill all of the Deep Rust Pits that it had. I used Just shy of a Gallon of Body filler on these metal panels getting them ready for paint

Four heavy coat's of John Deere paint was next and this is how the Panel's looked as they were spray painted.

Edited by Hammerdown, April 19, 2014 - 09:34 AM.

• jd.rasentrac and propane1 have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nominations, featured, tractor