#16 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 08:24 PM

It was more of spot welding every inch or something of that sort, can't say i have ever seen the hood come apart like that.

• VSTROM803 and Likesspace have said thanks

#17 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 04:21 AM

I agree with trowel.

• Likesspace said thank you

#18 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • Member No: 54810
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 05:25 AM

Okay, great. 

At least now I know what needs to be done.

Thanks again.

• trowel said thank you

#19 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• Member No: 5214
  • 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 12:58 PM

I've had a couple hoods that were screwed together, they were early 5751 hoods and I figured they hadn't gotten the welds good yet.

• Alc, trowel and Likesspace have said thanks

#20 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 06:05 PM

I'm pretty sure that's not an 8" plow. The 8" had the roller assembly bolted to the beam, yours looks welded like a 6" model.  Turn the plow over and measure from the landside straight over to the rear point of the share, that distance is the size of all plows.

#21 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Lauber1.....

I measured the actual "cut" of the plow just as I was taught to do.

If you take a tape measure and hold it at the point of the plow and then extend the tape measure at 90 degrees from the point....you can then sight down the tape to the rear of the share. When doing so the measurement was exactly 8". 

As I said, that is measuring the actual cut of the plow or the width of the furrow that the plow will cut. 

And yes, this plow does have the non adjustable roller plate but if you read the 8" plow manual there was one model that had the non adjustable roller plate. It seems that I ended up with that model. 

Honestly I was sort of hoping for a 6" since I figure it would be easier to pull. On the other hand now that I have a 5 HP motor that I can mount I'm pretty happy that I have the 8".

Thanks for your comment.

#22 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 03, 2014 - 09:56 PM

Lauber1..

After reading a little more it looks like you might be right.

Tomorrow I'll measure, using your instructions, and see if I have an 8 or 6 inch plow.

Since the plow was assembled incorrectly it wouldn't surprise me if I find that I have an 8" bottom on a 6" frame. 

It's starting to look like I might have a frankenstien plow here. :-).

Thanks again for your comment and information. 

#23 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 09:34 AM

Okay, I went out this morning and made the measurement that Lauber1 suggested.

When measuring this way the plow measured 5-3/4 inches.

Shouldn't it be exactly 6 inches if this is the correct way to measure?

As I said before I was always taught to measure the width of cut that the plow will make when in the soil.

I tried to find a good photo to describe what I'm talking about and below is the best that I could come up with.

I always measure from the point of the share and sight down to the back edge of the share, but hopefully this photo will give an idea of what I'm talking about.

Also, while looking for a photo I found out that there are TONS of different ideas that people have of the correct way to measure a plow bottom. If you want to get really confused just do a google search for: How to measure a single bottom plow.

Oh and when measuring like what is shown in the photo I do come up with an 8" bottom. Who knows?

Attached Thumbnails

• plowmeasurement02-1.jpg

• trowel said thank you

#24 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 02:27 PM

Oh, and just to clarify.....

The photo I posted above is not my plow. It's just one that I found on the web.

Edited by Likesspace, April 04, 2014 - 02:34 PM.

• trowel said thank you

#25 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 02:54 PM

That is the correct way to measure a plow, not the best but it works.

#26 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 05:36 PM

Okay, I just went out and measured the plow one more time, (I was checking on the smoker anyway). 

I wanted to make sure that I hadn't made a mistake which I'm sometimes pretty good at doing.

Again, the plow measured out at an 8" cut but at the same time I see exactly what Lauber1 is saying.

According to what I've read on the internet the only plow that is supposed to have the fixed roller plate is the 6" model.

I was sort of joking in an earlier post when I said that I probably owned a "frankenplow" that had been pieced together but now I'm wondering if that's not correct. 

It really does looks as if I have the 8" bottom mounted to a 6" frame. 

Hopefully if that is the case it's not going to cause me any problems when I start using the implement.

On the bright side I do know where another plow is available for purchase so if it doesn't work right......well, I guess the wife will have something else to roll her eyes at. :-)

Lauber1...I really would like to hear your opinion of whether or not I should sharpen or beat out the plow point.

Thanks a lot guys. I still have a lot to learn.

• trowel said thank you

#27 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 05:42 PM

Okay, I just went out and measured the plow one more time, (I was checking on the smoker anyway). 

I wanted to make sure that I hadn't made a mistake which I'm sometimes pretty good at doing.

Again, the plow measured out at an 8" cut but at the same time I see exactly what Lauber1 is saying.

According to what I've read on the internet the only plow that is supposed to have the fixed roller plate is the 6" model.

I was sort of joking in an earlier post when I said that I probably owned a "frankenplow" that had been pieced together but now I'm wondering if that's not correct. 

It really does looks as if I have the 8" bottom mounted to a 6" frame. 

Hopefully if that is the case it's not going to cause me any problems when I start using the implement.

On the bright side I do know where another plow is available for purchase so if it doesn't work right......well, I guess the wife will have something else to roll her eyes at. :-)

Lauber1...I really would like to hear your opinion of whether or not I should sharpen or beat out the plow point.

Thanks a lot guys. I still have a lot to learn.

So do i, always something new to learn, always, makes life interesting.

Im thinking your right, it can and has been done before, we even built up one for the Suburban three point because it was missing parts.

#28 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Another question guys...

If you'll notice on my DB hood the bottom part of the hood is separate from the top part of the hood. 

I asked this previously but does anyone know if this is supposed to all be one piece?

Every time I've seen someone raise the hood on their tractor it looks like it all comes up in one piece.

If it is supposed to be one piece is the bottom part tack welded to the top?

If so, mine has broken loose and I'll have to fix it.

Thanks again for all of the comments.

The bottom of your hood is not correct.  

db hood.jpg db hood outlined.jpg

Here is what it should look like:

DB with seat on cultivator.jpg with super power logo showing right side.JPG with super power logo showing.JPG IMG_0099.JPG

• trowel and Likesspace have said thanks

#29 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 08:44 PM

New.Canadian...

Thanks for the photos.

What's weird is that I can't see that my hood has ever had any welds applied.

That could be because someone decided it would be a good idea to paint over rust so there is some serious pitting in that particular area. 

Last night I went ahead and vice gripped the lower part into place and then gave it a spot weld about every inch or so. I was worried about burning through the metal but it actually turned out really good. 

My hood is now a one piece like everyone else's and I gave it a primer coat tonight.

Tomorrow night I plan on sanding with 320 grit and then depending on how it looks either priming it again or giving it it's first top coat.

I wasn't able to find the red that VSTROM used so I settled on IH CASE red. Hopefully it will look decent compared to some of the other examples I've seen on this site and other places on the web. 

I plan on applying the top coat in either three or four spraying sessions. After all of this work the last thing I want is any runs in the paint and by spraying quick, thin coats I think that I can avoid that happening.

When it comes to painting I am NOT an equipment painter. My painting experience is more of the plain white canvas and oil paint.

What the heck.....

I know this is a tractor forum but here's a couple of examples of paintings that I did this past winter. Hope you all enjoy them:

Attached Thumbnails

• cliffs2.JPG
  • mountains.JPG
  • path2.JPG
  • final trees.JPG

• Alc, KennyP, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#30 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 12, 2014 - 04:12 AM

You do very good work, i hope you sell them ?

I would buy your paintings, the 2nd painting with the mountains reminds me of the lake me and my father use to fish on at a state park.

your style puts me in mind of the painter Bob Ross, use to watch him every Sunday morning on channel 57.