• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • Member No: 54810
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 07:37 PM

Okay, I've been promising since I signed up on GTT to get up a few photos of what I bought. I'm not able to post pics of the snow blade, tractor or disc harrow since each of these items are still out at the farm.

I do however have some photos of the hood, the cultivator and the plow. I'm hoping that by the weekend I'll be able to let you see the tractor with the AG tires and wheels weights mounted, (I still have to get the turf tire wheels off and the others put on). 

Another couple of photos that I've included are of a brand new Tecumseh HS50 motor that came in today.

This is a motor that an Ebay seller has been offering over the last couple of years that have been in storage since the late 70's - early 80's. 

According to a piece of newspaper that my muffler was wrapped in, mine dates around 1979. If anyone is interested I have an advertisement for some 15" radial tires for $32.00 each.  :D

The motor is quite simply perfect. It came with all documentation, in the original box and with the motor decals that still have to be applied. I filled it with oil and gas and it fired on the first pull and was running on the second. 

A major bonus to this little engine is that it appears to fit perfectly under the hood. 

I lined up the driveshaft and recoil on the hood cutouts and everything cleared without any problem.

Another bonus is that it came with a mini-bike style muffler that also aligns with the hole in the front of the DB hood. I had to take the "hood" off of the end of the muffler to make it fit under the hood but I'm sure I'll be able to fabricate something that will allow the end of the muffler to protrude out of the hole, like it's supposed to.

I really didn't want to spend the $345.00 for the motor and shipping but now that it's here, I'm glad that I did. I'm not so sure that my wife shares my excitement but she's a good woman and understands my many obsessions. 

One other photo that I included is of my John Deere garden and lawn tractors. I just threw it in as an added bonus, because I like them and they were there.  :smilewink:

Attached Thumbnails

• cultivator.JPG
  • plow.JPG
  • hood.JPG
  • motor2.JPG
  • motor1.JPG
  • bonus.JPG

• daytime dave, DougT, MH81 and 13 others have said thanks

#2 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 07:40 PM

Oh and I measured it up tonight..the plow is the 8" model.

• trowel said thank you

#3 nade-em OFFLINE  

nade-em
  • Member No: 25213
  • 202 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 07:42 PM

Cool! That engine looks awesome! I like that little JD 111, I have a JD 116 H . :D

• trowel and Likesspace have said thanks

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 07:43 PM

That muffler is probably the most valuable part on the engine.  You wouldn't believe how many people want the stupid things.

Ben W.

#5 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 08:01 PM

Very nice! I see you have a set of hillers and the 5 prong cultivators too. That is a nice setup. I don't think the 8" plow is very common either.

That's really neat that your muffler will line up. You'll have a very nice tractor.

I really like that heard of JDs too!

#6 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 08:45 PM

nad-em....I always wanted a 116H. It's amazing how manuerverable those 100 series lawn tractors are. I actually tried to buy one years ago but couldn't come to an agreement on price.

superaben....I hate to admit it, but I'm one of those guys that like the stupid things. First and foremost I want the tractor to do what it's made for.....WORK! After that I want it to look as good as it can, while it's working. :-) Also, I've always like Tecumseh motors over a Briggs. Once you figure out the different aspects of the carbs., the Tecumseh's always seemed like a better built motor, to me. I live in Illinois and I'm probably one of the few people in this part of the country that feel this way. Regardless I've just always preferred the Tecumseh motors and the fact that they fit under a DB hood is just an added bonus. 

VSTROM83....I had no idea that the 8" plow was even remotely rare. I was honestly hoping for a 6" since I figured it would be easier to pull. Now that I know I have an 8" plow I've been working on the bottom to get it as polished as possible before putting it to work. I figured that the more polished the bottom is, the better chance I have of it doing a good job.

I live in an area where we have silt loam soil which from what I understand is not the best at scouring a plow. 

I've been using an 80 grit flap disc followed by a 120 grit flap disc to try and get a good polish. It's working out really well but I'm wondering if starting with a 60 grit followed by an 80 grit and then a 120 might be better. I'm going to give that a try tomorrow night since the weather forecast looks like it might be July before I get to give the tractor a try.  :mad2:

Also I'm planning on trying the cultivator as a field cultivator after plowing and running the disc. I figure the 5 prong shovels will be the best for that type of job. If I mount to at the rear and two up front it gives complete coverage of the cultivator path. I'm thinking that with that setup it will be a lot like a spike tooth harrow. 

I purchased some cultivator shovels and brackets from a member a few days ago. I'm hoping to get them in within a few days so that I can get it the cultivator set up for it's first use. 

Waiting to put this thing in the dirt isn't much different than waiting for a honeymoon!

• Alc, trowel, DB1 and 3 others have said thanks

#7 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 08:55 PM

For those that have commented on the John Deere tractors.....

I'm sorry to say that I'm about to lose two of them.

One is being traded in on a Z235 John Deere zero turn, (the 1966, 110), and the 212 is being sold to a co-worker.

I especially hate to see the 110 go away but I need the garage space and want a zero turn to cut down on my mowing time. 

The local John Dealer was really excited about the 110 so at least I'm getting a good trade in on it.

When all is said and done I should be getting the Z235 for less than $1500.00.

When I first restored the 110, (nearly 20 years ago),  I used to go out into the garage and just stare at it for minutes on end. 

I was so proud of what I had accomplished considering what I started with.

I'm hoping to have the same satisfaction with the David Bradley.

• MH81, sacsr and trowel have said thanks

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 09:19 PM

Hard to believe you would get rid of the 110 after all that time and enjoyment from it. Noel.
  • trowel, SamMC and Likesspace have said thanks

#9 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 09:57 PM

Believe me, Noel...it hurts to let the 110 go. 

The truth of the situation is that I never use it.

It sits at the back of the garage.....gets started a couple of times a year and that's about it.

It was a labor of love when I was re-doing it and it continues to hold a place in my heart. I just  don't really have room for it or a need for it now, so it's time to send it off to someone who will enjoy it as much as I have. 

When I bought the 110 it was a pitiful sight. The tractor had been sitting outside with the plug out of the engine for a number of years. One of the tie rods was bent nearly in half and the paint looked like it was beyond repair. My dad and I went to pick it up and he thought that I'd lost my mind paying $60.00 for it.

The same day that I bought it I was offered double what I'd paid for it. andl after putting another $640.00 into it I had a tractor that mowed my lawn for about 13 years. 

As I said I hate to see it go but at least I have another project tractor now. I'm not planning on completely restoring the DB but I'm hoping to make it look as good as the 110 did nearly 20 years ago. 

• trowel and propane1 have said thanks

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 10:00 PM

Oh my, i missed quite a bit today, you got yourself a nice little engine, out of all the Techy engine types you could of bought you got a  mini bike engine !!! perfect :thumbs: the bent pipe lines right up with the exhaust port in the hood.

On top of that, the bigger 8 inch plow, it is a good thing you are putting in a 5 hp engine, would be a hard pull through fresh sod for the little 3 hp.

Yes, the nice thing about the vator is it can be configured several different ways, you can even mount spring tine shovels from TSC with few homemade if you wanted.

The saddle style plow has and always will be my favorite.

• VSTROM803, superaben and Likesspace have said thanks

#11 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 10:03 PM

That muffler is probably the most valuable part on the engine.  You wouldn't believe how many people want the stupid things.

Ben W.

Amazing an't it, i would pull it off and flebay it.

• superaben and Likesspace have said thanks

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 05:33 AM

I like those 5 prong cultivators :thumbs:  I never seen those other then in the old brochures . Those hilling shovels are nice too . I had to make up ones for mine , hope to try them along with the cultivator this year too .   Hope you can give me some pointers on yours .  On the 8" plow that came with my DB 600 someone cut the OD down about and inch or so , I have no idea why unless they damaged it ?   

#13 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 07:49 PM

Another question guys...

If you'll notice on my DB hood the bottom part of the hood is separate from the top part of the hood. 

I asked this previously but does anyone know if this is supposed to all be one piece?

Every time I've seen someone raise the hood on their tractor it looks like it all comes up in one piece.

If it is supposed to be one piece is the bottom part tack welded to the top?

If so, mine has broken loose and I'll have to fix it.

Thanks again for all of the comments.

• trowel said thank you

#14 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 07:59 PM

Yes, your hood should be one piece.

#15 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 08:04 PM

VSTROM...thanks for answering.

Is your hood tack welded together?

I can't see where there are any bolt holes or rivet holes so I'm assuming that this is the only way that it could have been joined.

I have a little MIG welder so I'm sure I can turn it down enough to tack the pieces together.

Thanks again.

• trowel said thank you