7 replies to this topic

#1 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • Member No: 54810
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 12:45 PM

Hey guys...

In case I have to buy an old style starter for my new engine, is this what I'm looking for:

I don't know if the recoil will fit under the hood.

Thanksstarter.jpg

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 01:08 PM

That will probably stick out more than a recoil. Good Luck, Rick
  • Likesspace said thank you

#3 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,781 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 05:23 PM

Be careful and keep your leg (and other parts) away from this while it is rotating!

#4 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 01, 2014 - 06:06 PM

Are you talking about the crank handle windup like the old Sears/Craftsman walk behind mowers?  My folks had one that you had to pull the hand into position, crank the handle clockwise 2 or 3 times around, snap the handle back down, and push the release button and it would start the motor. It was spring loaded and worked good.  The motor when to hack and the crank starter still worked. 

#5 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 07:22 PM

Fluid and others....

I had ordered a Tecumseh HS50 motor off of Ebay and I was concerned that the recoil wouldn't fit under the hood. I remember one other member saying that they had to put a wind style pull starter on their tractor to make a 5HP Tecumseh work.

Well today my new motor came and it thankfully it looks like it will all fit under the hood, (breather, muffler and recoil), with no modifications. That made me really happy.

The motor is NOS that the seller has been selling off for the past few years on Ebay. Judging by a newspaper that was wrapped around the muffler mine was made somewhere in the 1979 range.

The great thing about this engine is that it's old enough to still have ball bearings instead of bronze bushings on the crank. The fact that it is brand new.....started on the second pull AND the included mini-bike muffler that was included lines up perfectly with the David Bradley hood hole, is just an added bonus. 

I'm about to upload a few pics and the motor will be included in that post.

• drbish, boyscout862 and LilysDad have said thanks

#6 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 08:08 PM

And Fluid.....

Until today, I had no idea that they ever made a crank starter like the one you described.

While searching for one of the wind up starters I came across several sites that talked about the old crank style starters. 

Most said that they worked really well but were a safety hazard. Of course most of the sites also said the same about the "wind up" style starters that many of you have on your tractors. Most of the stories concerning those starters had to do with smacking someone in the eye that happened to be standing behind the one doing the rope pulling. 

• Alc said thank you

#7 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted April 01, 2014 - 09:16 PM

Fluid and others....

I had ordered a Tecumseh HS50 motor off of Ebay and I was concerned that the recoil wouldn't fit under the hood. I remember one other member saying that they had to put a wind style pull starter on their tractor to make a 5HP Tecumseh work.

Well today my new motor came and it thankfully it looks like it will all fit under the hood, (breather, muffler and recoil), with no modifications. That made me really happy.

The motor is NOS that the seller has been selling off for the past few years on Ebay. Judging by a newspaper that was wrapped around the muffler mine was made somewhere in the 1979 range.

The great thing about this engine is that it's old enough to still have ball bearings instead of bronze bushings on the crank. The fact that it is brand new.....started on the second pull AND the included mini-bike muffler that was included lines up perfectly with the David Bradley hood hole, is just an added bonus. 

I'm about to upload a few pics and the motor will be included in that post.

That's cool that the NOS motor fits like you want, muffler and all. Sounds like it will look close to stock looking. Waiting on pictures to see the fit.

#8 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 07:47 PM

Fluid...

I haven't decided if I'm going to mount the new motor before I start restoring the tractor.

At first I wasn't planning on it but now that I know I have the 8" plow I'm starting to wonder if I might need the extra HP to pull it.

From what I read the engine swap doesn't take much time so I might go ahead and change it out on Sunday and get the hood mounted.

At least then I'll clean up some garage floor space since the hood will be on the tractor instead of on the floor.