• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• Member No: 1521
  • 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 09:31 PM

Since I enjoy looking at the other restoration posts here I thought I would show everyone my diesel conversion on my Hydro with the winter setup.

This diesel is equipped with the cold weather package and has both a glow plug and oiling screw plug (which I haven't used yet) which is definitely needed for Canadian winters. I had it out earlier this morning and it was minus 22 with the wind chill. Started right up with big 875CCA battery and ran flawlessly!

I used an aftermarket pulley sized between the Hydro and accessory pulley and a 1" bushing instead of trying to fabricate an adaptor sleeve to make the stock pulley fit the smaller dimension 1" shaft. It shouldn't make too much of a difference other than the overall top speed may see a slight decrease and the implements may run slighter faster.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN6303.jpg
  • DSCN6305.jpg
  • DSCN6302.jpg
  • DSCN6297.jpg
  • DSCN6293.jpg

Edited by JTS BRAZEAU, January 17, 2011 - 09:51 PM.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 09:36 PM

JTS,

Thats a nice looking repower you did there !!

Brian

#3 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 09:49 PM

Looks like you got yourself a nice diesel re-powered tractor there, speeding up the PTO a bit for the attachments is nice one of my MF12 Honda clones had that, the mower works better and I'd say you snow blower throws further.
I have a buddy north of Nappenee who is into MF12Hydras, small world sometimes.
Good stuff.

#4 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 10:03 PM

Nice refit. What are the specifics on the motor?

#5 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 10:22 PM

Nice refit. What are the specifics on the motor?

It's a 418cc that is actually a 10.5hp. It's rated at 3600 RPM. Tons of torque and loves to spew out black smoke under heavy load. The neighbours definitely know it's a diesel !!!

#6 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 10:33 PM

Looks like you got yourself a nice diesel re-powered tractor there, speeding up the PTO a bit for the attachments is nice one of my MF12 Honda clones had that, the mower works better and I'd say you snow blower throws further.
I have a buddy north of Nappenee who is into MF12Hydras, small world sometimes.
Good stuff.

Thanks Doug,

I've seen a couple of your builds and they're pretty nice. I think it was yours that was converted to an electric? Very cool! Napanee is about a half hour from me. Good to hear there are some MF fans in the area.

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by JTS BRAZEAU, January 16, 2011 - 10:40 PM.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 05:28 AM

I sure do like diesel re-powers.Nice job.

#8 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,208 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 04:55 PM

Nice re-power :dancingbanana:

#9 daytime dave ONLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 05:19 PM

That's a great looking repower. Nice job.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,652 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 06:37 PM

JTS.....do you have pics of when you did this diesel conversion? If so, would you please start a thread on it in the Diesel Garden Tractors, Repower and Conversion Forum

If you don't have pics of the process, I could move this thread to the above forum....with your permission of course!

#11 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 07:21 PM

JTS.....do you have pics of when you did this diesel conversion? If so, would you please start a thread on it in the Diesel Garden Tractors, Repower and Conversion Forum

If you don't have pics of the process, I could move this thread to the above forum....with your permission of course!

Olcowhand, I've thought about starting a thread but just didn't get around to it! I have lots of pics of mine before, during, and after and will start a thread for those interested in doing a similar repower. Thanks for the push!!

#12 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 07:26 PM

I like how you were able to expand the battery tray for a car battery. Your engine mounted fuel tank provided an advantage there.

One thing is for sure, hydra machines are much easier for conversions than variable speed machines.

#13 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 07:49 PM

I like how you were able to expand the battery tray for a car battery. Your engine mounted fuel tank provided an advantage there.

One thing is for sure, hydra machines are much easier for conversions than variable speed machines.

MF10 Diesel, I went and had a look at a pic of your setup and didn't realize it was that tight under the hood in all directions with your diesel. Nice to see another version of a diesel swap. Interesting!

#14 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 10:23 PM

MF10 Diesel, I went and had a look at a pic of your setup and didn't realize it was that tight under the hood in all directions with your diesel. Nice to see another version of a diesel swap. Interesting!

Yes, very very compact indeed. It will get even tighter with the new tower, the battery tray will be very close to the starter solenoid but a group 51 battery will fit. Hopefully, whenever I get around to repainting it, it will look like it came with the diesel.

I'm not sure, but I think I ran across some video of your tractor running on youtube some time ago?

#15 JTS BRAZEAU OFFLINE  

JTS BRAZEAU

• 0 Thanks
  • 30 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 10:25 PM

Yes, very very compact indeed. It will get even tighter with the new tower, the battery tray will be very close to the starter solenoid but a group 51 battery will fit. Hopefully, whenever I get around to repainting it, it will look like it came with the diesel.

I'm not sure, but I think I ran across some video of your tractor running on youtube some time ago?

The video is mine and I put it up early on in the resto/conversion just after I got it up and running.