12 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 08:25 AM

I posted a picture in my other thread of the Brinkman Pit Pro I have used for over 25 yrs.

I like to barbeque and really enjoy doing it in a big way to entertain family(I am from a Big family) and friends from church.  I have spent untold hours looking at the different BBQ Smokers/Cookers (dreaming ).

I thought a thread of what your using and what you consider the ultimate cooker would be.

If money were no object(it always is) I would be off to Carolina to pick up a Carolina Cooker with the optional wood/charcoal box ( I prefer wood to gas).

Carolina-Cookers-grill.jpg

• Alc, hamman, bgkid2966 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,761 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 08:41 AM

I don't cook because I am colour blind and can't be trusted to evaluate meats. I do value the importance of good cooks. You could build a grill out of an old 275 gallon oil tank. Salvage a trailer axle and the rest. A friend of mine has built several over the years. He lets people borrow them and then has trouble getting them back so, he builds another. You could hire out to do a few events and make money off of it. Good Luck, Rick

If you wanted something realy unique, build one out of the hood and grill of an old tractor or Mack Truck.

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#3 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 09:29 AM

I love to BBQ foods and have used a couple of different types of units. Right now I use a large gas grill to smoke and grill foods. It is hooked up to natural gas to avoid the propane refill and run out of fuel.

Geno

• JD DANNELS and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 09:39 AM

I like BBQing with a wood fire, but use propane also. BBQ is hooked up to my house line so no need for BBQ tanks. Noel 

#5 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 09:46 AM

We don't have a grill because of retiring our gas grill last winter. I just mentioned to my wife we need to start shopping for one. We both like gas & charcoals so one of those multi units that look like a barrel with a warmer on the side might be nice. If money were no object this is what I would like.

pistol-grill-500x339.jpg

#6 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 10:58 AM

My ultimate smoker... right here:

http://www.smoked-me...read.php?t=6475

100_4799.jpg

Edited by twostep, April 01, 2014 - 11:01 AM.

• JD DANNELS, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 11:58 AM

My ultimate smoker... right here:

http://www.smoked-me...read.php?t=6475

100_4799.jpg

That is pretty close to the ultimate build for sure!!   The build thread was a great read too!!

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 12:03 PM

I don't cook because I am colour blind and can't be trusted to evaluate meats. I do value the importance of good cooks. You could build a grill out of an old 275 gallon oil tank. Salvage a trailer axle and the rest. A friend of mine has built several over the years. He lets people borrow them and then has trouble getting them back so, he builds another. You could hire out to do a few events and make money off of it. Good Luck, Rick

If you wanted something realy unique, build one out of the hood and grill of an old tractor or Mack Truck.

I understand the Color Blind thing. My dad is color blind and so is my son.   But that's why they make thermometers.

Truth be told I don't cook much myself. The wife does the cooking and makes all her rubs. I'm just the fireman, once it's in the smoker I just control the fire  and monitor the thermometers, fire and draft.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 12:12 PM

I like BBQing with a wood fire, but use propane also. BBQ is hooked up to my house line so no need for BBQ tanks. Noel 

I prefer to use wood or Charcoal. But it takes some time to build the fire and there are times I would like to have a gas unit too.

Being in a rural area we have the whole house on propane.  We are planning to build a patio in the back yard(probably not this year) but might consider plumbing in a gas unit when that is built?

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,761 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 12:14 PM

The color blindness has an advantage, I have much better than normal night vision. That and fashion has very little meaning to me. Good Luck, Rick
  • twostep said thank you

#11 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 12:34 PM

The color blindness has an advantage, I have much better than normal night vision. That and fashion has very little meaning to me. Good Luck, Rick

Yes and sometimes it makes you laugh at the fashion thing. The wife and I took my son to a western store when he was a teen.

He found a shirt he really liked and asked his mother if it was blue or purple. She said if you can't tell and like it what difference does it make?  He said"  I'm not wearing a purple shirt, guys don;t do that"! We did not buy the shirt.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,761 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 01:11 PM

Yes and sometimes it makes you laugh at the fashion thing. The wife and I took my son to a western store when he was a teen.
He found a shirt he really liked and asked his mother if it was blue or purple. She said if you can't tell and like it what difference does it make?  He said"  I'm not wearing a purple shirt, guys don;t do that"! We did not buy the shirt.

Wives and moms are often absolutely clueless about school aged male fashion no-nos but they sure have alot of their own. Good Luck, Rick
  • JD DANNELS said thank you

#13 rust addict OFFLINE  

rust addict
  • Member No: 51434
  • 242 Thanks
  • 174 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 04:17 PM

That pistol grill is one of the coolest I have ever seen, looks like a .500 S&W