• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 371 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 05:52 AM

I have two questions about these two planters.

First the Garden Seeder:

How do you guys easily set the planting depth of the garden seeder? Maybe I'm over doing this. My Earthway planter has graduated markings on the furrow opener. I tried to mimic this on the seeder by measuring the difference in height between the furrow opener and the wheel and making graduated marks.

IMG_0033.JPG

The Field Planter:

I know there's not many of these around so, it may be difficult to get some feed back on it. It doesn't seem to have much depth adjustment. There are three notches and two bolt hole combinations that I think are the adjustment. It seems though that there are only two depths, 1/2" and 3/4" as best I can tell by my measurements. I believe these were made by Cole. Maybe someone has a Cole Planter with a similar setup. I down loaded a manual but, I haven't found it to be much help.

IMG_0031.JPG PLANTER ADJ..jpg

Thanks!

Edited by VSTROM803, April 01, 2014 - 05:55 AM.

• Alc, boyscout862, SamMC and 1 other said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,821 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 07:15 AM

Vstrom803,

You did the same thing a lot of guys did with the seeder drill, it never really made that much sense to me either to just have a slot and wing nut set up with out any depth marking.

We are still to this day undecided on the true maker of the field planter, it looks and screams Cole but when compared with Brinly almost all parts interchange.

As for the depth, thinking in terms of the Cole planters, being for beans and corn, depth adjustment is not really needed, i find this odd seeing as the Brinly was adjustible but i have yet to find another Brinly of the same age to compare against.

Lauber1 used these seeder drills a lot in the truck farmer days, hopefully he will come across this post and give us some inside hints.

Edit : your seeder drill and planter are in VERY good shape, thanks.

Edited by trowel, April 01, 2014 - 07:16 AM.

• Alc and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,474 Thanks
  • 2,811 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 06:45 PM

setting thr depth is fairly simple. You just take and place it on the tractor, then park on a flat level hard surface. decide how deep your seed needs to be and slide something under the wheel that about that thickness. Then loosen the running shoe and let it go to the floor. Easy as pie.

Most things are planted at like 1/4", 1/2" or 3/4", so its not hard to find something the right size. Don't get all crazy worring about getting it to a knats butt, as it will fluxulate when it the ground. Just find a happy place.  I don't plant anything but corn with the DB so I'm always set at 3/4". I plant peas and beans wit h my Planet jr 300A and tiny seeds with a Midget seeder.  

I had a brinly here once, but the setting of depth was done by a shoe plate that surrounded the runner.

• drbish, sacsr, trowel and 1 other said thanks

#4 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 371 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 07:52 PM

setting thr depth is fairly simple. You just take and place it on the tractor, then park on a flat level hard surface. decide how deep your seed needs to be and slide something under the wheel that about that thickness. Then loosen the running shoe and let it go to the floor. Easy as pie.

Most things are planted at like 1/4", 1/2" or 3/4", so its not hard to find something the right size. Don't get all crazy worring about getting it to a knats butt, as it will fluxulate when it the ground. Just find a happy place.  I don't plant anything but corn with the DB so I'm always set at 3/4". I plant peas and beans wit h my Planet jr 300A and tiny seeds with a Midget seeder.  

I had a brinly here once, but the setting of depth was done by a shoe plate that surrounded the runner.

Thanks you very much guys. I knew I was over thinking this. Thank you for the practical easy way to adjust the Garden Seeder. I guess with the Field Planter I could get a way with the 3/4" setting for must stuff any way. My plan is to use it for corn, beans, and peanuts.

• trowel said thank you

#5 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 371 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 08:14 PM

Vstrom803,

You did the same thing a lot of guys did with the seeder drill, it never really made that much sense to me either to just have a slot and wing nut set up with out any depth marking.

We are still to this day undecided on the true maker of the field planter, it looks and screams Cole but when compared with Brinly almost all parts interchange.

As for the depth, thinking in terms of the Cole planters, being for beans and corn, depth adjustment is not really needed, i find this odd seeing as the Brinly was adjustible but i have yet to find another Brinly of the same age to compare against.

Lauber1 used these seeder drills a lot in the truck farmer days, hopefully he will come across this post and give us some inside hints.

Edit : your seeder drill and planter are in VERY good shape, thanks.

Thanks trowel. I am very pleased to have found these. I bought them about a week apart from two different sellers. I could hardly believe my luck on these. I initially found the seed plates at a tractor show and bought them in case I found a seeder. The next day at the same show I was offered the seeder by a friend that said he had one missing the plates. It's missing the sweeps that pull the dirt back over the furrow though. For now I've mounted a drag chain similar to what my earthway planter uses. I also have the fertilizer hopper for it but, it's bit rusted in the bottom like most.

I found the Field Planter on craigs list.

• trowel said thank you

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 6,154 Thanks
  • 7,051 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 07:47 AM

I was wondering if you had a chance to use your planter and if you were happy with the was it works ?  I only have a small garden with most rows only 35' but it saves my back  using the Earthway seeder..On some seeds like the Golden Detroit the standard beet plate was a little too big and the others that I had were too small . Even when using it on the Detroit Red it seems to put 2 in each hole . Are these planters or the David Bradley planters better ?

• VSTROM803 said thank you

#7 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,474 Thanks
  • 2,811 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 04:45 PM

I never had any good luck with the garden way seeders. Always seems like they over seed or the damn seed get caught behind the plate and stops the wheel. Tried to make a 2 row one once, but it just wasn't a very useful set up. I have the best luck with the planet jr seeders for most things and the DB one for any type of corn.  One of the best units I have was built right here in Iowa, and is called the Midget. It loves to plant small and fine seeds like carrots, radishes, and spinach. I only plant the carrots for my wife and to test the seeder, wouldn't cross the street to look at a Beet, but the Midget will plant them fine too.

026.JPG   Planet jr Jiffy seeders

027a.jpg Midget seeder.

I have a lot of different seedrs that I play with, there like most GT stuff, some work better for some things and not worth a hoot of others.

• Alc said thank you

#8 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 371 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 06:22 AM

I was wondering if you had a chance to use your planter and if you were happy with the was it works ?  I only have a small garden with most rows only 35' but it saves my back  using the Earthway seeder..On some seeds like the Golden Detroit the standard beet plate was a little too big and the others that I had were too small . Even when using it on the Detroit Red it seems to put 2 in each hole . Are these planters or the David Bradley planters better ?

i haven't used the "Garden Seeder" yet. I'm missing the parts that cover the furrow ahead of the wheel. I tried a drag chain like the Earthway uses but, it didn't seem to give adequate coverage. I'll have to work on that.

The "Field Planter" seemed to do a good job. I was afraid that it was planting much too deep but, I have plants popping through now. I'll see for sure this weekend how well they're doing. I planted sweet corn, and a few different kinds of beans and peas. Maybe I can post some pix this weekend of them coming up.

Do you own a Field Planter? I feel I need to do some more experimenting with both types of planters.

• Alc said thank you

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,154 Thanks
  • 7,051 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 07:48 AM

I have the ones that are for the Tri-Trac  that look like this , though I wouldn't want to modify those in any way but if I ever found one for the walkbehind I have all sorts of seed plates for it .

Attached Thumbnails

• 63_planter.jpg

• VSTROM803 said thank you

#10 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • 371 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 02:04 PM

If you have the seed plates you're more than half way there. The seeders are often missing those. I have all but the corn plate(F-12 I think).

• Alc said thank you

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,474 Thanks
  • 2,811 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 04:21 PM

I have the ones that are for the Tri-Trac  that look like this , though I wouldn't want to modify those in any way but if I ever found one for the walkbehind I have all sorts of seed plates for it .

you have 3pt seeders mount on your tri-trac?

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,154 Thanks
  • 7,051 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 08:55 PM

you have 3pt seeders mount on your tri-trac?

It's mounts right behind and between the front wheels . It has it's own style frame but most is parts are like the in the picture