15 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 01:28 PM

If I'm welding on the tractor should I disconnect the battery to protect the Alternator??

I'm working on the hiller/ Furrower clamps. It would be easiest to bolt the plates on the crossbar (mounted to the 3 point)  and then tack the tubes to the plates to assure everything lines up.

• boyscout862, Nato77 and propane1 have said thanks

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 02:11 PM

The manuals for my Fords recommend disconnecting the battery.

Seems like a good idea to me.

• JD DANNELS, boyscout862, Nato77 and 1 other said thanks

#3 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,719 Thanks
  • 4,279 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 02:29 PM

I've heard doing it both ways and I've done it both ways. The one thing that makes the most sense to me is to keep your ground as close to the weld as possible. The current will stay between the 2 cables.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, JD DANNELS and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 02:35 PM

Disconnecting is a good idea, removing all together is better. As a battery charges it gives off hydrogen gas, granted not much, but always the potential for a problem. Covering the gas tank fill cap with a wet rag is another way to ensure no problems. Safety first!

• JD DANNELS, boyscout862, Nato77 and 3 others have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 02:41 PM

As a kid, I had a battery explode when jumping off of it. I got acid on my face and clothes. Fortunately, there was a faucet nearby to rinse with. Be very carefull. Good Luck, Rick
  • JD DANNELS, Nato77, Chopperhed and 1 other said thanks

#6 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,636 Thanks
  • 1,329 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 03:08 PM

I usually don't disconnect the cables. But it doesn't hurt to be on the safe side disconnecting them. I do the same as Doug said with keeping the ground close to where your working. A GT is much easier to disconnect the cables than big trucks are.

The only thing that stinks when disconnecting the battery is you lose all your presets on the radio :)
  • limebuzz, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,701 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 03:21 PM

As others have said, I error on the safe side and disconnect and also put the ground as close as I can to the weld.

• JD DANNELS, boyscout862, Nato77 and 2 others have said thanks

#8 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 03:24 PM

As far I know, disconnecting the battery for sure, but I always disconnect battery and regulator to be sure. I don't need any more problems after welding. Covering gas tank as mentioned and removing the battery if it's close welding. Keep ground as close as possible and have a good ground connection. Noel

• JD DANNELS, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#9 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 05:02 PM

As a kid, I had a battery explode when jumping off of it. I got acid on my face and clothes. Fortunately, there was a faucet nearby to rinse with. Be very carefull. Good Luck, Rick

Happened to me a few years back. I had a brand new truck battery explode in my face.

Spent the day in the ER flushing my eyes.

I urge extreme caution when dealing with batteries.

• JD DANNELS, WHdbJD, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#10 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 31, 2014 - 07:43 PM

I usually don't disconnect the cables. But it doesn't hurt to be on the safe side disconnecting them. I do the same as Doug said with keeping the ground close to where your working. A GT is much easier to disconnect the cables than big trucks are.

The only thing that stinks when disconnecting the battery is you lose all your presets on the radio :)

There is a device that has a battery in that you plug in the power/lighter outlet that with save the radio presets and the like. Less then $10. I've had one for years and has paid for its self many times over. Mine uses 9volt a battery.   Customers hate it if you lose their presets and new radios/CD players have anti-theft codes.

Edited by Fluid, March 31, 2014 - 07:47 PM.

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#11 nade-em OFFLINE  

nade-em
  • Member No: 25213
  • 202 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 07:47 PM

I always disconnect the battery on whatever i am working on ,------ be safe!

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,658 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 08:26 PM

Thinking NOT the battery that is problem, but the regulators that can be burned out with too high of voltage charge. Most manuals say to unplug the reg. Don't think just a cable is enough to isolate that part. Course, vapors as mentioned are a problem too, with batt or gas. Would think batt is away from the back of tractor isn't it? Now, Gas Tank might be under seat tho! Heck, mount the tool bar in a vise to weld. Must be able to mount on tractor and adjust and tighten clamps? , then  weld if needed in the vise?

#13 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 31, 2014 - 08:45 PM

Thinking NOT the battery that is problem, but the regulators that can be burned out with too high of voltage charge. Most manuals say to unplug the reg. Don't think just a cable is enough to isolate that part. Course, vapors as mentioned are a problem too, with batt or gas. Would think batt is away from the back of tractor isn't it? Now, Gas Tank might be under seat tho! Heck, mount the tool bar in a vise to weld. Must be able to mount on tractor and adjust and tighten clamps? , then  weld if needed in the vise?

My tractor has a sticker near the engine that says "Caution unplug regulator when welding on tractor". 

#14 Walkinman1 ONLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 07:29 AM

I fried a pcm (computer) in a truck once due to being too lazy to disconnect the battery while welding. Since then I've made it habit. Never had any issues on vehicles of any sort without a computer but I can see potential for regulator damage so I would play it safe on that as well.

#15 Big John OFFLINE  

Big John

• Member No: 1450
  • 21 Thanks
  • 94 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 05:22 PM

Disconnect all leads from a  solid state regulator and battery & make nosparks can get near gas tank or battery. To be completely

safe clamp all parts together on the tractor & then remove & weld.