23 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 03:50 PM

DNR said the Deer Harvest was down quite a bit last winter Our shotgun and Muzzleloader seasons run in December and January and that was when weather was harshest so I don't think as many hunters got out,.  About 2 weeks ago the wife said when she came home for lunch 3 crossed in front of her by my brothers house and 5 more crossed just below our lane, thats within 3 miles.

That night I counted 15 more crossing into the neighbors timber. So population is still high in some areas.

DNR is also predicting fishing will be off this year due to the excessive length of time the hevy ice was on the lakes.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 31, 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#17 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 04:02 PM

DNR said the Deer Harvest was down... weather was harshest...

DNR is also predicting fishing will be off this year due to the excessive length of time the hevy ice was on the lakes.

Wow, that DNR must be stacked with all of the smart people.

#18 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 04:19 PM

Wow, that DNR must be stacked with all of the smart people.

Since Iowa Department of Natural Resources are totally funded by Licensing and permit fees it is their job to keep track of the numbers and know what is going on. :smilewink:

The one thing I found them to be in denial on or outright untruthful was the 10 yrs they disputed sightings of mountain lions in Iowa.

They have since admitted to them being here though rare.

#19 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 04:26 PM

I read an article that claimed, due to excessive deer population control by the Iowa DNR and various politicians, the Iowa deer population is at an all time low.

#20 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 05:52 PM

I read an article that claimed, due to excessive deer population control by the Iowa DNR and various politicians, the Iowa deer population is at an all time low.

As far as I'm concerned its not low enough. I get tried of dodging them every day going to work, and also in a different place. There's tons of deer out there. Be nice if one yr I didn't have to go to the body shop and get the fenders or doors pulled out. Hit one or 2 every yr and have for the last several. You couldn't kill them all fast enough to suit me. I find it unbelievable that in the 50's there were very few deer here, and now its herds crossing the road.

Also theres been a lot of talk about the DNR bringing the big cats here, to control the deer populations. It really wouldn't surprise me, The DNR is  about as worthless as the deer.

#21 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 07:13 PM

A wise man once said" Who needs a Remington to hunt deer when you have a Honda Civic!".

#22 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 08:59 PM

As far as I'm concerned its not low enough. I get tried of dodging them every day going to work, and also in a different place. There's tons of deer out there. Be nice if one yr I didn't have to go to the body shop and get the fenders or doors pulled out. Hit one or 2 every yr and have for the last several. You couldn't kill them all fast enough to suit me. I find it unbelievable that in the 50's there were very few deer here, and now its herds crossing the road.

Also theres been a lot of talk about the DNR bringing the big cats here, to control the deer populations. It really wouldn't surprise me, The DNR is  about as worthless as the deer.

Yeah the Black Helicopter rumors have been going on for a long time.
There was one shot out in western Iowa, guy told no one and hung it in his barn.
DNR waNTED THEIR TRANSMITTER BACK AND CAME AND GOT IT but still denied there were any in the state?

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 31, 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#23 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 09:04 PM

I'm not sure what they consider an all time low? My dad grew up in Monroe County(place most likely to produce a record buck) during the depression and often hunted meat was all they had. The deer population was so low that he was 14 before he ever saw a deer.

#24 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 09:44 PM

Since Iowa Department of Natural Resources are totally funded by Licensing and permit fees it is their job to keep track of the numbers and know what is going on.

I wish I could figure out a way to get paid justify the existence of my own job.