• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 craigburnett5 OFFLINE  

craigburnett5
  • Member No: 55072
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 07:49 PM

does anyone make a replacement trigger? do i have to conver to point style? coil checked out good according to service manual ohm tests. trigger failed not sending signal to coil.

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 05:29 AM

Welcome to GTTalk ,  I havn't had to work on any of  mine with that problem but I'm sure there are members here that did . You might need to repost this in the Mechanical section to get more veiws , Also maybe a engine model and serial # might help , Al

#3 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 07:55 AM

Yes, engine model and type would help so we can help you.

14HP Kohler most likely...????

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 08:05 PM

Harder to find and expensive. First try cleaning the area with mags on flywheel, take off the sensor and carefully clean the metal that wheel passes by there, check for good wire connections, including corrosion, then set the gap on sensor to the flywheel. Not sure gap, but think a match book is close or sure some speck in the Kohler books. Make sure the mounting screws are also clean and spot where head touches unit and the block spot where the unit rests on. I would bet more on rust/corrosion than a bad sensor. You can change to points, but would need new coil/condensor, points unit and cover, gaskets for same. A points push pin and then you have to knock out the plug in the points pusher hole in block. Usually just knock that in and try to retreive thru oil fill or drain areas. It is just brass I think, maybe not? If steel a magnet should help fish it out. Never heard of way to pull plug out from outside.

• Alc said thank you

#5 EconChuck OFFLINE  

EconChuck
  • Member No: 18979
  • 251 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted April 05, 2014 - 03:27 PM

Hi,
I would check ebay for used ones.
I have secured a spare used one. I was able to buy a new coil at a Kohler dealer($96)

#6 craigburnett5 OFFLINE  

craigburnett5
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 08:44 PM

sorry  engine is k321 found a new trigger on ebay. installed it according to service manual .05 to .010 started right up actually scared the crap out of me didn't expect it to fire so quick. on to the next problem adjusted carb, its running really smooth but clutch disk or pressure plate is stuck. will try to seperate bellhousing and clutch housing see if i can free it. thanks for the help   craig

• Alc said thank you

#7 craigburnett5 OFFLINE  

craigburnett5
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 06, 2014 - 08:45 PM

the correct word is scared

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 09:12 AM

Fixed it for you.

#9 craigburnett5 OFFLINE  

craigburnett5
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 10:19 PM

once i get everything in working order i would like to paint it but not sure of the color? this was my fathers tractor, he passed away this year.he used it in the garden for 25 years though it hadnt been used in the last 7 years due to health issues. it means alot to me to get it going again to take up to our old ranch/hunting camp. thanks so much for the input               craig