• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • Member No: 54810
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for all of the great information, guys!

I'm currently working on the plow bottom to make it as polished as possible before taking it to the field. 

This is an 8" plow that will be working in silt loam soil, so I want it to be thoroughly scoured before even sinking it into the ground.

I've spent many hours plowing with a 7 bottom John Deere but I have a feeling that this will be a totally different experience. At least I know the basics of plowing and what the ground is supposed to look like when everything is working properly. 

Right now I'm using an 80 grit flap disc followed by a 120 grit flap disc on the bottom. Tomorrow I'm going to try using a 60 grit followed by an 80 grit and then finish it with a 120 grit. 

I'm starting to get the mirror finish and I think that with a little more time I'll be there. 

Of course it has started to rain just as I'm getting everything in order. It's going to be hard to wait until the ground is ready to work since we are expecting 2 to 3 inches of rain over the next two days!

• MH81 and trowel have said thanks

#17 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 06:09 PM

Trowel covered it perfectly.  I plowed with a DB last year & it was great fun, once you let it be fun.  The only thing I would add is remove the coulter wheel unless you are plowing sod.  Cutting sod is about the only job of the coulter wheel. If it the ground has been cultivated recently, the plow will do the job without the coulter wheel.  Oh, and don't loss the wheel once you remove it.  

I disagree about removing the coulter, as it does part of the work, opening the ground up head of the share. One of the bigger problems here is folks try to run with it set to deep. Just keep the share and coulter sharp, and above all keep the rust off of it.

• trowel, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Likesspace have said thanks

#18 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 12:25 PM

Lauber1...

At what depth should the coulter be set?

I'm sure it's different on the small DB plow than it is on say a 7 bottom.

Thanks

• trowel said thank you

#19 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 01:55 PM

I see you have jumped in Jeff :thumbs:

I was going to advise on sharpening the share seeing as Likespace's looks pretty blunt, usually i only ''clean up'' the point as not to reduce the bottom suction but i would rather you advise us on properly sharpening the point.

#20 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 02:32 PM

Trowel....

The photo I took of the plow definitely makes the point look a lot thicker, (duller),, than what it is.

The point actually doesn't look too bad in my opinion.

I did sharpen the underside of the share like the manual shows to do. I tried to stay away from the point since my dad told me that the way to sharpen the point is by heating to a dull cherry red and then hammering it back to a sharper point. He said that's how they always used to do it so that you don't lose any metal by grinding.

I would also like to hear anyone else's opinion on this. When it comes to anything farm related my dad is usually about the best source I know to go to but neither of us know much about the two wheeled tractors and their implements.

• trowel said thank you

#21 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 03:13 PM

Your dad is 100 % correct, never any warmer then dull red to keep the carbon content, takes a long time to sharpen just one 16 inch share much less a 6 inch and then the forming for the size of the share.

The new steel is different and does not applie anymore.