15 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 12:07 PM

Or is wrong just wrong?  That is a question that has bugged me lately.  Here is the context.

I have various tractors I want to repair/restore/revive/revitalize, whatever.  Most are missing the original engine; some have been re-powered.  Some need a Clinton A700 or B700 series engine.  I can buy older Briggs engines that will work, but they are the wrong year, make and model.  For a few dollars more, I can get a Clinton engine, but it is the wrong year & model.  Even if I find the correct model & year, it still isn't the engine that came with the tractor. Even if I get the original engine, I can't match the paint, or have to re-manufacture a missing part.

When is "wrong" acceptable?

• wvbuzzmaster, trowel, tinbender7 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,758 Thanks
  • 8,929 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 12:10 PM

My wife can explain that, if ya got the guts to ask her. (and the time)

Warning! May not be specific to engines.
  • IamSherwood, trowel, tinbender7 and 6 others have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,210 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 12:15 PM

I guess it all depends on what type of collector/user you are.

Everyone has their own guidlines they follow.

For me a proper "restoration" must include original parts,painted right with decals ect. and must have an original engine or an engine of the same model and close year if all else fails and the original one is shot.

If it has a 30HP honda and has ATV tires or is painted the wrong color I dont consider that a "Restoration"

Refurbish to me means a quick cleanup/ tuneup of worn parts and a new paint job, does not necessarily mean a total tear down of the machine.

Those are just my definitions others may vary.........

• IamSherwood, johndeereelfman, trowel and 7 others have said thanks

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 12:29 PM

If you change an engine to make a tractor usable then I would try to find an engine that can be adapted without modifying the tractor. That way you have a working tractor and you also have a restoration candidate if you find the correct engine. As time goes on the classic GT's are getting scarcer, older and more worn out, so this problem isn't going to get any better, especially for those of us who live in low population areas where there aren't many tractors to be had, regardless of condition. 

• trowel, boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 3 others have said thanks

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,689 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 12:36 PM

Give it up! No matter what it won't have the original carb kit. So, start enjoying yourself.

• limebuzz, wvbuzzmaster, IamSherwood and 7 others have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 12:39 PM

It really comes down to what you are happy with and what you plan to do with it. If it is going to be a trailer queen, it should be as close as possible to original. If it is going to be an everyday worker then anything goes. I try to make my stuff similar to original but no trailer queens yet. The most important thing to remember is that this is supposed to be fun. Good Luck, Rick

• trowel, tinbender7, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 5 others have said thanks

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 01:02 PM

Also strive for as close as possible, it will never be 100 % original ever again no matter how hard you try but the fun is not in the tractor or engine itself but the hunt, the thrill of the find, the things learned along the way, new friends made, appreciation of the history of the tractor and engine, company that made it and your story.

The engines and tractors develop a personality unique in it's own right from the trip it took from birth to your hands, the little mods and changes adds to it.

If it was restored 95 % original it would be like every other 95 % restored tractor out there,...boring, same old.

I also have others that has been heavily modified or ''updated'' and currently still in use, my own personal touch to the machines.

Some people just don't care, others are strict with the restro and others like me go both ways.

Edited by trowel, March 30, 2014 - 01:04 PM.

• wvbuzzmaster, IamSherwood, JDBrian and 5 others have said thanks

#8 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,736 Thanks
  • 4,290 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 01:30 PM

My wife can explain that, if ya got the guts to ask her. (and the time)

Warning! May not be specific to engines.

What an earful that was! It does seem that she sees varying degrees of wrong but most involved when you open your mouth and how many words spilled out. Then she moved on to actions, ect. You're right though about not being about engines!  :smilewink:

As for the tractors, they're only original once. I used to think a repaint was a necessity but I've come to appreciate original paint and decals even if they are half gone or more. They can always be repainted. I feel now that I ruined some nice pieces in my early years by repainting them. I can't begin to count the number of walk behind frames I've gotten for little or nothing because somebody else wanted the engine. Especially the odd ones. Sometimes its like an effort in futility  Things that were specific to the tractor like pulleys, mounts, mufflers and aircleaner are often lost. That's when you need to decide if the finished product is worth the effort. If its for show and to document the tractor then the right model engine and making it look as original as possible is a must even if you have to reproduce the parts. There are a lot of early tractors being restored today thanks to recast/remade parts. True, they aren't 100% original but I wouldn't say they are wrong either. If you owned the tractor since new and bought a replacement part for it, is it original?. Not really a whole lot of difference in either example. Sometimes you don't have much to go on to return one to original. then you at least have to try and use period correct parts for it. The average person at a show won't know anyway and the ones that do will appreciate your effort to make it look right. One of my favorite show statements was a young boy listening to his dad talk about how old the tractors were. He patted one on the tire and said this one is really old, it has spider webs. That confirms its all in the looks!

• Alc, IamSherwood, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#9 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 01:32 PM

Also strive for as close as possible, it will never be 100 % original ever again no matter how hard you try but the fun is not in the tractor or engine itself but the hunt, the thrill of the find, the things learned along the way, new friends made, appreciation of the history of the tractor and engine, company that made it and your story.

The engines and tractors develop a personality unique in it's own right from the trip it took from birth to your hands, the little mods and changes adds to it.

If it was restored 95 % original it would be like every other 95 % restored tractor out there,...boring, same old.

I also have others that has been heavily modified or ''updated'' and currently still in use, my own personal touch to the machines.

Some people just don't care, others are strict with the restro and others like me go both ways.

I do the same, none of mine a pretty tractors, they all do tasks they are needed for. I repair them best I can and clean them up for a parades. Noel  

• trowel, boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 02:19 PM

I do the same, none of mine a pretty tractors, they all do tasks they are needed for. I repair them best I can and clean them up for a parades. Noel  

Don't get me wrong, i am a coin with two different face, soon as spring comes in you will see some of my ''trailer queens'' but don't worry, they still retain the ''personality'' but close to original.

Also the in work clothe originals ''trailer queens''.

then enters the workers.

You have a good tractor i like very much, keep them going and love em'

The anal retentive GT police can ram it up their :dancingbanana: it is just a ''fad'' to them anyways.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 02:22 PM

In my mind, the answer to the question you asked is all up the the individual.  Your tractor....your choices.  

• JDBrian, trowel, WHdbJD and 2 others have said thanks

#12 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 06:36 PM

In my mind, the answer to the question you asked is all up the the individual.  Your tractor....your choices.  

But don't try to pass it on to the next guy saying "all original".

• olcowhand, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and Coventry Plumber have said thanks

#13 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 06:43 PM

But don't try to pass it on to the next guy saying "all original".

VERY TRUE!  :thumbs:

#14 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 06:53 PM

I have a problem similar right now. Springfield used a fancy 7/8 clamping shaft coupler on some of their models. All of which that coupling is compromised. My belief is poor design and application of parts utilized, for a later butchered repair. Therefore, that one spot will never be original, because the original part is junk. It will look close to original based on the part I am replacing it with. The next part of that is parts mixing. I have decided that even if you forget which factory original parts went to which tractor, that unless you are doing a perfect numbers matching restore, it doesn't really matter. Wrong to me is what everyone before me has done to "make it work" and that any repair I make to get it function as intended, it is more correct than it is wrong.

#15 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 11:57 AM

Well, you all gave me some stuff to chew on, although LilysDad's comment about the carb kit gave me a moment of panic.  In the end, I was reminded that I have lost focus on why I own them: they are work tractors.  While it would be nice to have some in original condition to preserve the heritage, I don't see me dragging them off to shows.  If I want to, I have two with original engines that can become trailer queens, someday, maybe, if required.  

Again, thank you one and all for the reality check.

• olcowhand, trowel and Coventry Plumber have said thanks