17 replies to this topic

#1 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 09:05 PM

I could have composed a song today.  "Massey Crying in the Rain."  It would have been great, except I can't sing like Hank or Willie.  That's Willie Nelson, not Uncle Willie.  :D

I found a Massey 12 along the way picking up a Gravely.  I think I got a good price on a tractor I have wanted for a long time.  I am working on a Massey 14, with a Kohler K341, and while doing that I decided suddenly that I couldn't live without a Massey anymore. 

This tractor has been repainted indiscriminately.  Red and gray seem to have been mixed.  At least it saved the tractor from rusting through. 

IMG_8368.JPG IMG_8369.JPG

I don't think I've seen a straighter grill.  I will have to find a new nose cone, though.

IMG_8370.JPG

The mower deck is the only attachment I had.  It has been repaired once or twice I believe. 

IMG_8367.JPG

The engine is a Tecumseh OH140.  It used to run.  The owner says it ran recently (define your terms, sir) and he put new gas in a month ago.  The new gas smells just peachy.  If there was new gas added, it only diluted the old. 

Ben W.

• MH81, hamman, IamSherwood and 9 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 09:15 PM

The OH140 was a transplant, but not a bad thing.
Nice looking tin all in all. Good save Ben
  • trowel, boyscout862, superaben and 4 others have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 09:20 PM

That's a nice one Ben, glad you found one. The grille screen looks like it's been replaced but like you mentioned in very good shape. The deck looks good too. The nose trims are very seldom found intact. I have to order one for myself. I see a few on ebay but very expensive. I'm going with the one these folks are offering, heard good reviews. http://www.gtreprodu...s.us/parts.html  Keep us up to date on your plans.

• trowel, boyscout862, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 09:23 PM

A good looking catch there, now you got a red/gray Massy.

• boyscout862, superaben and Gabriel have said thanks

#5 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 09:24 PM

Nice find! Have fun!

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 09:49 PM

Excellent find and rescue Ben!

Have you got some pics of the Gravely to share also?  Careful, your yard could look like mine soon, 4 Masseys, 5 Gravelys and implements galore!

Edited by HowardsMF155, March 29, 2014 - 09:51 PM.

• boyscout862, superaben and Gabriel have said thanks

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 10:43 PM

Excellent find and rescue Ben!

Have you got some pics of the Gravely to share also?  Careful, your yard could look like mine soon, 4 Masseys, 5 Gravelys and implements galore!

My yard already looks like yours.  I might even beat yours.  Its a total of 5 Gravelys that I own, not to mention the customer units, and that's just scratching the surface.  Its a happening place around here.  :rolling:

The Gravely I got today is a 1962 L.  Comes with my favorite add on, Pierce governor.  It belongs to a customer, I need to get it running and then it goes back home.  He got a good deal on it, it comes with a brush cutter, snowblade, and sulky. 

IMG_8371.JPG IMG_8372.JPG

Ben W.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 10:46 PM

The OH140 was a transplant, but not a bad thing.
Nice looking tin all in all. Good save Ben

I figured that was a repower.  The engine doesn't look bad, though, not to unoriginal like a Chinese clone would, and if it runs nice I'll probably leave it until I find a decent HH120 to drop in.  2 hp is not a bad gain, anyway. 

I'm planning to get it restored.  It's worth it in my book. 

Ben W.

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 10:48 PM

That's a nice one Ben, glad you found one. The grille screen looks like it's been replaced but like you mentioned in very good shape. The deck looks good too. The nose trims are very seldom found intact. I have to order one for myself. I see a few on ebay but very expensive. I'm going with the one these folks are offering, heard good reviews. http://www.gtreprodu...s.us/parts.html  Keep us up to date on your plans.

I'm under the impression that the grill and screen are both replacements, or else the nose cone/hood took the brunt of any crashes and saved it. 

The deck looks solid beyond the big patch on front. 

Thanks for the link to the reproduction nose cones.  I need a steering wheel cap, too, so I guess I'll give them some business. 

Ben W.

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#10 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 10:58 PM

NNIIICCCEE Gravely!  I prefer that white and orange/red scheme with the way the hood curls over and covers everything.   Got to say though, I'm not fond of the "Reverse for Forward" handle style.  My 74 model spoiled me that way, now I have to be REALLY careful operating my Dad's older electric start tractor.

#11 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 03:38 AM

Nice MF Ben. Those 12s are nice to work on too.

Looking forward to seeing the restore.

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 05:20 AM

Nice score on the MF, Ben. I think you might want to turn that right rear tire around though!

• boyscout862, superaben and SamMC have said thanks

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 06:12 AM

Nice 12 Ben. You can repair those nose pieces. I got this advice from Olcowhand (Daniel). You take a piece of round rod and set it in the inside groove formed where the front edge of the console is formed. Then mix some long hair FG and fill the groove. It worked with mine which was in one piece but hanging by a sliver. For one in pieces you could glue it together and then use the steel rod and  FG to give it strength. 

• IamSherwood, boyscout862, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#14 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 06:28 AM

Yes, as Brian said, use crazy glue, then do the OCH repair. Spot filler for the outside hairline

cracks, and Bobs your uncle.

#15 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 06:32 AM

NNIIICCCEE Gravely!  I prefer that white and orange/red scheme with the way the hood curls over and covers everything.   Got to say though, I'm not fond of the "Reverse for Forward" handle style.  My 74 model spoiled me that way, now I have to be REALLY careful operating my Dad's older electric start tractor.

I know what you mean on the drive setup.  Gravely finally agreed with the way our brains think when they changed over.  I was never a fan of the way the reverse lever locks, also.  That is scary. 

Nice score on the MF, Ben. I think you might want to turn that right rear tire around though!

And put air in it.  The PO had it off when I stopped by, since it was going flat.  While I was finding the hood in the midst of junk and debris (you'd have to see it to believe it) he put the tire on "any ol' way".  Considering that it was raining, his air compressor was down, and I was in a hurry, I said heck with it.  I do have the second tire chain, too. 

Nice 12 Ben. You can repair those nose pieces. I got this advice from Olcowhand (Daniel). You take a piece of round rod and set it in the inside groove formed where the front edge of the console is formed. Then mix some long hair FG and fill the groove. It worked with mine which was in one piece but hanging by a sliver. For one in pieces you could glue it together and then use the steel rod and  FG to give it strength. 

Good tip, Brian.  I didn't think of that.  :thumbs:

Ben W.