Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 03:12 PM

Well I had some free time today so I took a look at the JD 400 that followed me home last week. When the key was turned it sounded like something had been disconnected and it most definately had. Dont know the circumstances of this tractors last days running but I think stupidity was in on the party. The Kohler 20 HP is totally destroyed in ways I have never seen. The pistons were smashed to bits as were the connecting rods. There is a rather large hole near the filter and the bottom of the oil pan is loaded with broken parts. The crank shaft is in one piece but one journal has major scoring  and a gouge in it like I have never seen. That leaves us with the camshaft that somehow got broken into three pieces. It is really tough to tell what failed first but I suspect it made quite a noise.

attachicon.gifIMG_0928.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0929.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_0930.JPG

Someone ought to call TPS (Tractor Protective Services) and report a serious case of Tractor Abuse....

Smitty
  • Case-Closed said thank you

#17 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted April 08, 2014 - 11:32 PM

Sure would like to find a home for the rear end on this thing since it's probably in good shape as hour meter showed 711 hours otherwise it's off to the scrap yard.

#18 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 05:00 AM

What do you want for the rear end? Also interested in steering box and power steering parts, and control valve.

Smitty

#19 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 06:36 AM

Uh oh, Smitty is on a buying spree again. Can't wait to see what he is up too.  :D

#20 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 10:18 PM

Uh oh, Smitty is on a buying spree again. Can't wait to see what he is up too.  :D

Nawww, I just have a soft spot in my heart for old tractors and hate to see any usable parts end up melted and made into Vegamatics...

Herb--

I have a 12 hp Kohler off a Jacobsen... not sure if it would work for you or not... Also have an 18 hp Kohler K361 that needs rebuilt... engine spins freely... ummmm... what else???? a tired B&S 18 hp twin... any of these pique your interest as trade bait???

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, April 09, 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#21 Case-Closed OFFLINE  

Case-Closed
  • Member No: 13397
  • 225 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 11:51 PM

The engine on my Case 220 is shot and a decent running replacement would make a great trade for all of the JD 400 parts that I have. I loaded the JD chassis on my trailer this evening in preperation for a trip to the scrap yard on Saturday so let me know ASAP!!!

The previous owner robbed a lot off the tractor but I do have the power steering hydraulic units and an intact hydrostatic unit still in the frame. the front axle is also there as are the hood, dash, and rear sheet metal.

Edited by Case-Closed, April 09, 2014 - 11:56 PM.

#22 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 05:00 AM

I won't be able to look at it until Friday-- I'll pull it out and fire it up. Can you PM me some more pics of the chassis--esp. the engine compt and dash area?

Thanks,

Smitty