#1 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,219 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 07:08 PM

Is there a trick to this??  I finally spent the cash and got a new belt, put it on and adjusted the belt as it should be. now the clutch wont work, when you push the clutch in the belt wont stop it just keeps going, I have played with it for about 2 hours, got it to work rite in the hi speed range then it wont work in the low speed range.

The idler pulley and linkage are both a little loose so I ordered a new pulley and am going to fix the linkage.  any suggestions???

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 07:30 PM

Someone wrote here that the costly belt is why the variable speed had a bad repetition. We had a brand new one on our factory new 312d and it would pull great in high range in any gear but wouldn't pull a sick cat out of a litter box in low range. Never worked right. As you have probably read the system is quite touchy. I had a well worn B112 that I thought I finally got adjusted right then ran it through the back wall of my tractor shed because it refused to stop.
First of all make sure that you have the brake adjusted properly before messing with the clutch. If the brake band is too tight the pedal will not travel far enough to properly disengage the clutch fully. Make sure that the belt guards/stops are in place and adjusted according to the manual.

Edited by skunkhome, March 29, 2014 - 07:33 PM.

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 06:45 AM

My Simplicity 3012 has it and I was warned by another knowledgeable owner that they are a PIA. They are very sensitive to wear and alignment problems. When everything is right they work nice but it doesn't take much to throw them off. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81 said thank you

#4 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 08:44 AM

If its not disengaging, look to your belt guides. That is their function. I goofed around with a variable just yesterday and am quite pleased to say I have finally gotten one that operates well. Brake first, then belt guides, and idler last. Belt guides should contact the belt in front and up top when the clutch is depressed. If not, there is enough drag caused by belt/pulley contact to keep things spinning. Dont get caught up in the idler adjustment if hou feel it is moving enough to slacken the belt.

#5 acguy96 OFFLINE  

acguy96

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5431
  • 26 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 11:36 AM

I adjusted one in the fall (first time I ever did it) and didn't really have much trouble. The belt rubs the axle, though and, based off of how shiny and smooth the axle was were it rubs, it has been doing it for quite a while. Since it didn't seem to be really wearing the belt, I let it go. If I have time, I will try to upload a page from the manual I used, which also show pictures to explain the steps. Worked so good I threw on some cultivators and went through the garden.

Edited by acguy96, March 30, 2014 - 11:38 AM.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#6 acguy96 OFFLINE  

acguy96

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5431
  • 26 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 03:31 PM

Here's a link to a picture of the page from the manual used to adjust the variable speed. The adustments for the Variable Speed rear are in the red box. The process includes adjusting the brakes.

#7 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 04:37 PM

The shuttles have the same strange clutch lever and also allow the belt to rub the axle. I think if the variables weren't so troublesome they would have had more than a 3-4 year production run. And you know a three year old Soveregn is virtually new unless it is being used commercially.

Edited by skunkhome, March 31, 2014 - 04:50 PM.

• MH81 and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks

#8 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 07:32 PM

The shuttles have the same strange clutch lever and also allow the belt to rub the axle. I think if the variables weren't so troublesome they would have had more than a 3-4 year production run. And you know a three year old Soveregn is virtually new unless it is beiing used commercially.

I wholeheartedly agree. They sure nailed their transaxle design and the Sunstrand, 6-speed, 3-speed and even the Shuttles complimented the tractors nicely and offered decades of service.