• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • Member No: 40455
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 06:10 PM

So I started working on this today, I saw another member mention that he struggled with this so before I go to town on this thing I thought I'd ask.  First off when the PTO turns with no deck installed it sounds like it's rubbing a bit, I'm including a picture of the internals of it to ask if anything needs replacing.

I removed the bottom pulley assembly and now the top pulley assembly is left on the shaft, I'm assuming if I heat up the pulley a bit and go at it with a gear puller I can just remove it that way.  Does that sound alright?  I'm thinking a simple 6" gear puller.

Thanks so much!

Matt

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-20140329-00090.jpg
  • IMG-20140329-00091.jpg
  • IMG-20140329-00093.jpg
  • IMG-20140329-00094.jpg
  • Untitled-1.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,528 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 07:08 PM

Soak it with penetrating oil for a few days. I'd be very carefull about using heat. Soak it and try pulling. On the Home Page is an article for making your own excellant penetrating oil. Good Luck, Rick

What is this on?

Edited by boyscout862, March 29, 2014 - 07:08 PM.

#3 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 08:07 PM

Soak it with penetrating oil for a few days. I'd be very carefull about using heat. Soak it and try pulling. On the Home Page is an article for making your own excellant penetrating oil. Good Luck, Rick

What is this on?

Thanks for the advice, I'll spray something on it to get things moving.  It's on the bottom of a kawasaki engine on a JD 262.

Matt

#4 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 07:51 AM

Ok Matt looks like you have dove in with both feet,What you have done there is take the pto apart it should make that rubing noise as that is the brake for the pto win it is off.That ajustment is made with the 3 studs with the springs.the other half of the clutch was a little hard to get loose but soaking it got it loose for me.Then comes the drive pulley I had a hard time with that one.I ended up buying  a pulley clamp so I would not bend the pulley up with the puller.

#5 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 09:25 AM

Ok Matt looks like you have dove in with both feet,What you have done there is take the pto apart it should make that rubing noise as that is the brake for the pto win it is off.That ajustment is made with the 3 studs with the springs.the other half of the clutch was a little hard to get loose but soaking it got it loose for me.Then comes the drive pulley I had a hard time with that one.I ended up buying  a pulley clamp so I would not bend the pulley up with the puller.

Thanks for the advice, glad that sound is normal.  I have to ask - what the heck is a pulley clamp?  I googled it and found a whole lot of pictures of things that would not help me get the pulley off.  I'm anxious for the spring to arrive so working on the mower helps me feel a bit better about this long cold winter.

Thanks,

Matt

#6 Littledeere ONLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 11:40 AM

Here is a pic it's to use so you don't crush the pulley win you put a gear puller on it.Some times you have to use on because you can't get behind a pulley to pull it.It's made so you pull on the v of the pulley the strongest part

It's the bottom 2 in this pic I have the one on the left

Attached Thumbnails

• pulley puller.jpg

#7 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 05:22 PM

Here is a pic it's to use so you don't crush the pulley win you put a gear puller on it.Some times you have to use on because you can't get behind a pulley to pull it.It's made so you pull on the v of the pulley the strongest part

It's the bottom 2 in this pic I have the one on the left

Well I've made it to the top most pulley and as you said it started to bend as soon as I put the gear puller on it.  Now I need to find one of the pulley clamps before I can proceed!