• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • Member No: 30776
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 03:35 PM

Was supposed to pick up my first Bolens this morning, Found a running project tractor (1050) on CraigsList. Set up a meet for this morning. The seller has not answered his phone all day. Figure I missed that one. Got my hopes up. Will continue to look. Since I have been researching these tractors I have come to really want one, and they seem a little rare down here. Addiction is a terrible thing.

• tinbender7, boyscout862, twostep and 2 others have said thanks

#2 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 03:44 PM

Finding honest people who stick to their word  is half the equation when it comes to clinching a good deal on Craigslist.

I would keep calling till you talk to the seller.

• boyscout862, A.C.T., superaben and 3 others have said thanks

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,668 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 03:53 PM

There's plenty of Bolens out there, keep looking and I'm sure something will come along

• boyscout862, A.C.T., SamMC and 1 other said thanks

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 04:12 PM

Sorry you missed out on yours. I lost one a month ago where he accepted my offer but later would not return my calls.

I picked up a Cub 1720 this morning off CL. A few days it was $600 today down to $425. I get there and it was a mess. Ad claimed it ran well but since the gas tank was removed kind of hard to try it out.  I could see the price dropping and dropping.

I have a 1720 that runs great but has a broken axle so I am hoping to combine the two.

After a few minutes a worked out a fair deal. But WOW was the description way off. You just never know.

• trowel, boyscout862, SamMC and 1 other said thanks

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 04:22 PM

Sorry you missed out on yours. I lost one a month ago where he accepted my offer but later would not return my calls.

After a few minutes a worked out a fair deal. But WOW was the description way off. You just never know.

Same here and that is the norm for descriptons now a days, don't worry, there will be others, the seller may have gotten wind you know your tractors and prefer stupid people.

Congrates on the Cub, i trust you will up load pictures for us to view when completed :D

Speaking of stupid look at this add : http://worcester.cra...4392276697.html

I laughed my :D off.

• boyscout862, A.C.T. and SamMC have said thanks

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 04:29 PM

I've had a couple sold out from under me as well. On the other hand I did run into an honest man when I got my 317. I phoned first and he held off everyone else until I got there.  You meet all kinds when buying and selling! 

• trowel, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 3 others have said thanks

#7 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 04:41 PM

I try to treat others with respect, sometimes I forget that there are, well, other kinds, out there. The fella could at least have the courtesy to tell me the situation honestly. I will continue to look. After seeing a nicely restored 1000 I would kind of like one of those....and a...well you all know.

• trowel, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 1 other said thanks

#8 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 04:42 PM

I think most people that are selling some of these GT's are looking for ignorant people especially the way some are priced. Once they find out you know what they have & can do a lot with it they want to bail out & get that before it's restored price. It's getting bad selling too. I have had people say there coming & they never show. If a person can't call me & actually talk I'm not answering any questions by email any more. On the most part I have had some good deals & sold some stuff to fund my newly acclaimed GT fever.

• trowel, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 2 others have said thanks

#9 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 04:45 PM

I dont know if it is ok to post from another forum, Admins please delete if this is a violation. This made me covet:
www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=272198

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 06:13 PM

YOUR FIRED !!!!! kidding, i checked in to those tractors, even though the paint is not to specs, very nice restro, would be too scared to scratch the paint, lol, it this the Bolens type you was after ?

Edited by trowel, March 29, 2014 - 06:13 PM.

• boyscout862 and SamMC have said thanks

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 06:42 PM

Don't give up on the Bolens yet. Try a few more times and wait. I was going to buy a car from a guy but he didn't return my calls. Several months later, He called with the car still available. The poor guy had ended up in a hospitol and then a rehab place for the several months. You never know. The 1050 Bolens is a good choice but a 1250 Bolens would be a great choice. Good Luck, Rick

• trowel, Newpaws493, SamMC and 2 others have said thanks

#12 petrj6 OFFLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,804 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 06:56 PM

I to have had good luck and bad on cl, overall I have found people to be honest and fair.  The worst I ran into was a guy who agreed to sell me a simplicity, then he changed his mind and wanted more money, guy called me back for two weeks trying to get me to give him more cash for the machine, then ended up selling it for less because everyone around got to realize he was being a dick.

Good luck and keep looking, you will find what you want eventually

• trowel, boyscout862 and SamMC have said thanks

#13 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 07:13 PM

Trowel, I was looking to dive into refreshing a tractor. Never been much of a mechanic, but the people here make it look like something I want to learn. After seeing the insides of the tube frame's transaxel, I am convinced that these tractors will run a very long time, so putting the time and effort into rebuilding one is probably worth the effort. Something about the solidly built old iron really makes me want to own some.

• boyscout862, Newpaws493 and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#14 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 29, 2014 - 09:20 PM

I had a lady on craigslist with a gravely post one price, I emailed her, she said yes thats the price. I said I'll be right over, knocked on door no one answers,I  go home, email her, she says o I forgot you were coming can't do it today, will do it sat.I say OK. I email her sat. She says come over, I go there, shes there but now price is doubled.  What? Yes thats how much it is today! I say good by.  Two weeks go by, she emails me, she says price is the same as first craigslist post, I say OK I'll be over in one hour. I show up, no one comes to door, I knock the hell out of that door, no answer. I go home mad as heck.  One week latter she emails me that she is mad at me because I didn't go throw with my end of the deal.  I email her back "go f--k youself lady"  She didn't email back. Go figure.

#15 SamMC OFFLINE  

SamMC
  • 208 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 05:13 AM

Sounds like she had a psychological problem. Or as we bubbas say it, she was a flat out nutjob.