9 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 09:53 AM

THe Man in the little Brown Truck dropped a package off at my house yesterday in the rain.

Wet, Muddy and I doubt the frost is out yet? But he delivered more Rasberries, Blueberries and Strawberries. Hope it clears up enough I can get them planted before they die!!

• hamman, trowel, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 09:59 AM

I was thinking this morning, as I look out the window at the snow falling again, that it was this time last year when I was running the  truybuilt tiller in the garden. Sure hope the snow goes away soon so we can plant the garden.   Good luck with your berries.                                       Roger.

• trowel and propane1 have said thanks

#3 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 10:01 AM

I need to move a few of my black rasberryberry bushes over to my new house soon, probably best to get them done now and not wait.

Hope you dry up enough to get them in.

• propane1 said thank you

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 10:25 AM

I need to move a few of my black rasberryberry bushes over to my new house soon, probably best to get them done now and not wait.

Your far enough south and east of me I would think your spring should be about a month ahead of me.

So you could probably transplant now without a problem.

My Black Rasberries did very well last yearThe Blackberries exceeded expectations(in fact even after giving a lot to my parents, Jo put up more than she wanted to), The Red and Golden Rasberries I transplanted last spring( Decided they were too close to the black Rasberries and could cross pollenate) with the drought they did not do much last year, but were still alive last fall. So I hope they will do well this year.

I need to start a nursery row for Iowa Native White Peaches. They are a White Peach (Free Stone) about the size of a plum and native to Iowa. They are the sweetest peach I have ever eaten. A frined gave me a bunch and I saved 25 pits. They claim they are easy to grow from the pits, so I'm going to give them a try.

I need a Windbreak(Shelter Belt) and am planning to plant Peaches, Mancurian Apricots, Choke Cherries and Wild Plum(if I can find some seedlings along the river Should be able to) on the north side of my property.

Edited by JD DANNELS, March 28, 2014 - 10:28 AM.

• KennyP, trowel, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 10:34 AM

It was the end of April last year when I set my cuttings. They did great last year and I expect to have a bunch of fruit this year.

http://gardentractortalk.com/forums/topic/19744-twosteps-2013-garden/?p=312473

Edited by twostep, March 28, 2014 - 10:35 AM.

• propane1 said thank you

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 11:31 AM

Our berries looked great, got all plump and as they started to turn black, it was like all the life got sucked out of them. We had great rain, then it stopped and got dry. Maybe better this year.

I plan to just move over a few of the small plants/suckers from last year. My friend gave me a few starts a few years ago, came from the plants her grandpa gave her off his farm in Richmond Ky. Plant strain is probably many many yrs old.

• twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 01:38 PM

I was thinking this morning, as I look out the window at the snow falling again, that it was this time last year when I was running the  truybuilt tiller in the garden. Sure hope the snow goes away soon so we can plant the garden.   Good luck with your berries.                                       Roger.

This is true Roger, but it also got crops and blossoms out early, and they were decimated by freezes in May last year.  I'm betting farmers are loving the cold, as it holds the fruit bloom off until it's safer for them to survive.  We also got hammered with flooding, which further hampered other crops.

Last April was the first spring in the house we're in now, and I could have paddled around in a row boat, out in my back woodlot.  It was feet deep back there.  My back lawn was 4" deep and I was scared...water right up to my walkout slider.  So far, depsite the tremendous snowpack, the thaw is going well, and the rain has been minimal.  It's ponding a bit out back, but the ground still has plenty of frost it in, so that's to be expected.  Hopefully the mud is gone by June.

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 02:55 PM

Our berries looked great, got all plump and as they started to turn black, it was like all the life got sucked out of them. We had great rain, then it stopped and got dry. Maybe better this year.

I plan to just move over a few of the small plants/suckers from last year. My friend gave me a few starts a few years ago, came from the plants her grandpa gave her off his farm in Richmond Ky. Plant strain is probably many many yrs old.

"All the life got sucked out of them" Did you notice whether they had what looked like a pin prick in them?

I had a few like that and after watching them for some time noticed that there was a little tiny black wasp that was sucking the nectar out of the fruit.

• trowel said thank you

#9 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 03:45 PM

Here is what we were looking at this morning.    Roger

DSCF7017.JPG DSCF7018.JPG

• trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 04:34 PM

We can't kill them quick enough here, when this area was settled berry bushes were cultivated and has thrived like mad here, i hem back the bushes daily and have rooted up piles of them and yet they continue to spread.

Rasberries seems to be the bulk along with wild strawberries on the west sloop of the field.

Best of luck and i hope it dries quick enough.