• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Petenpole OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 09:49 AM

Ok friends I need some help identifying what I bought.

It is a transmission with bell housing, pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing. I do not have the hub  that goes on the crankshaft and bolts to the plate( in a car it would be the flywheel) . I do have the plate  that the disc rides against just not the hub. Small work on the lathe.

The transmission side cover was loose so i pulled the 4 bolts and found one gear with a broken tooth.

Depending on what this transmission was used for and on will determine if its another dream project and a rebuild or not.

Any help identifying what I have purchased?

Thanks again for any help out there.

Attached Thumbnails

• Trans 1.jpg
  • Trans 2.jpg
  • bell housing.jpg
  • pressure plate.jpg

• hamman said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,467 Thanks
  • 7,351 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 10:35 AM

Looks like from and old(30s - 50s) small car. The split case is sort of familiar, maybe British. You've got my curiosity up. Good Luck, Rick

#3 Petenpole OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 11:05 AM

Rick good thought but here is what is perplexing to me.  The large disc under the pressure plate is what the clutch disc rides against.

It has an approx 1 inch bore and has a bearing in one end that would appear to be in place of the old pilot bearing on a flywheel. That same disc/plate has 3 holes drilled in it (right around the hub bore) that would in my best guess bolt to a hub that is slid onto a crankshaft.

The bell housing has  4 holes that match the transmission, and then on the other end it has 4 holes that are not in a Square. The 2 bottom holes are wider in distance (center to center) than the uppers.

My first thought was this was a transmission that bolted up to an old model 23 B&S but at this point I am not making any more guesses. I need the expertise of friends and those far wiser than myself.

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 04:04 PM

That is nothing like i have ever seen for the Briggs but not saying it could be, the off center holes on the back of the gearbox could be for a drop box (chaincase), tractor or boat ?

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,616 Thanks
  • 38,996 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 04:25 PM

This bears watching!

• Petenpole said thank you

#6 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,165 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 05:18 PM

The bell housing looks the very much like the one that  is attached to the Onan engine in my R/T tractor.

My engine and transmission setup is from 1966.

Mine has a T-96 transmission ( the same transmission used in the older Jeeps ).

I don't know what your transmission is but it isn't a T-96.

I realize that this information doesn't help you a lot, it's just an observation.

Edited by jdcrawler, March 28, 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,483 Thanks
  • 6,360 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 05:28 PM

Very similar to Power King Economy system. Looks like same clutch pressure plate. Big bellhousing  almost similar in front where it bolted up to the Kohler and Briggs engines, some having a big ring/edge to fit into center space and keep aligned. PK's used a T92 trans, again similar looking if that is the trans as mentioned above.  Think Borg Warner parts is what makes it all familiar here.

#8 Petenpole OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 07:37 PM

The bell housing will match up to an old 12hp cast iron Briggs I have in the shed. Where do I find a Borg Warner name on trans if it is a BW?

#9 farmerall OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,127 Thanks
  • 1,430 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 10:40 PM

I will have to look but that reminds me of the transmission and bell housing that are in an old Cushman truckster. 

• Petenpole said thank you