Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Jd Gt 262 Crank Case Seal - Pull Engine?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • Member No: 40455
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 06:44 PM

Hello all, in a previous thread (http://gardentractor...ak/#entry432857) I asked about an oil leak in my mower.  Cat385b was kind enough to point out it was the crank case seal.  I know have the new seal in hand.  I'll be honest in that I haven't done a lot of major repairs like this, I'm not very worried because 1)  I'm mechanically inclined and 2) the mower wasn't expensive.  Cat385b gave me some good high level instructions to go on and I found more info on replacing the seal (bolt tightening pattern, torque etc)

I did ask in my original thread whether the motor needed to be pulled, Cat385b indicated it did need to be pulled.  I really appreciate the advice but I found some info stating that if you are careful you don't have to take the engine out, the gasket can be replaced from underneath. 

It would be great if I didn't have to pull the motor and I'm just wondering if anyone out there has ever attempted this or can provide any advice.  Cat385b if you read this please don't be offended, I'm just trying to figure out if there's an easier way, I don't have a great work space or anyone that can really give me a hand.

Thanks,

matt

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 06:59 PM

IMO i am compeled to agree with Cat, a lot of the time you will be saving yourself a head ach much less the troubles of doing it the hard way, yanking the engine does require time but is much better and easier on you so you can do it the right way the first time around.

Short cuts are nice but usually always a temporary fix.

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 07:08 PM

Pulling the engine is the best way to see what else might be lurking in your repair future.

#4 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 07:39 PM

I had one that I did, I pulled the eng  don't think I would try it any other way.The hardest part I had was getting the drive pulley off the crank shaft.

#5 mattsse OFFLINE  

mattsse
  • Member No: 40455
  • 21 Thanks
  • 51 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 03:50 PM

Ok, thank you all for the advice, I was hoping for something a bit easier but it sounds like pulling the engine IS the easier way.  As usual I appreciate all the great advice.

Matt