Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Gravely Powered Sweeper.....make It Fit Jd400?

400 brush broom quick hitch gravely

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53757
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 06:04 PM

So, while driving around with the wife today, we stopped at a well.....not to code store.  As I walked to the door, I saw this sweeper under a couple of heater coils.  I had to go in a asked them if it was still for sale, sure enough!  My wife suprised me when I asked, she said go ahead..............What????? 

Picked it up for $75.  It needs a new set of brushes ( any idea where to find them?), and some modifications to fit the front of the JD 400.  I plan to put on two hydraulic actions, height and side to side.  Should be nice.

IMG_5099-L.jpg

IMG_5100-L.jpg

• limebuzz, hamman, trowel and 2 others have said thanks

#2 limebuzz OFFLINE  

limebuzz

• Member No: 795
  • 864 Thanks
  • 879 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 07:06 PM

Nice grab.I'd like to find a sweeper one of these days
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 07:08 PM

Looks like you got a nice deal there. That framed in section looks like it might be easy to adapt to a JD front end. 

• trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 07:28 PM

I bet when you told her you wanted to buy a sweeper, she thought it was for the house. Keep Smiling. That is a great deal. There still are small sweepers used on road jobs so the brushes are available. Try a contractor supply house like A. H. Harris. Good Luck, Rick
  • Alc and trowel have said thanks

#5 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 27, 2014 - 08:40 PM

That's a good deal on that sweeper.  I looking for one also, I hope to get one by summer. If I could run across one for $75 that would be great, but I'm not that lucky.   Great find and good luck hooking it to the JD.   Maybe take some pictures after your get it mounted and post them here.

• trowel and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 09:26 PM

Great buy! Brushes, or wafers, for these are extremely common. You just need to determine the size you need. There is a wide variety of standard sizes. That broom looks quite small, so hopefully hour size is cheap and not scarce. I buy direct from a manufacturer, and they ship freight, right to your door. Great prices vs supply houses or ebay. Shoot me a message if you would like the info. Im waiting on 32 - 26" wafers to arrive for my 60" Sweepster now. They cost me $8/ea and the set was $175 cheaper than ordering through a dealer.

#7 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 09:41 PM

Great buy! Brushes, or wafers, for these are extremely common. You just need to determine the size you need. There is a wide variety of standard sizes. That broom looks quite small, so hopefully hour size is cheap and not scarce. I buy direct from a manufacturer, and they ship freight, right to your door. Great prices vs supply houses or ebay. Shoot me a message if you would like the info. Im waiting on 32 - 26" wafers to arrive for my 60" Sweepster now. They cost me $8/ea and the set was $175 cheaper than ordering through a dealer.

Im guessing your talking about the Dia of the brushes?  Then I guess I would take the lenght of the sweeper and give it to the manuf of the brushes?  Id like to get this going soon.

Thanks again!

#8 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 08:26 AM

The wafers will have 2 dimension, 2 types, and then 2 compositions. 

The dimensions will be the overall, outside diameter of the brushes, and the inside diameter of the brushes, so that they properly fit on your tube.

The types are flat and convoluted.  Flat will use steel spacers between each wafer, and convoluted are the wavy style, which do not use spacers. A set of flat w/spacers is usually about the same price as a set of convoluted with no spacers.

The composition will be poly or wire.  Wire will be more aggressive, and is not recommended for turf, and from experience, I don't think they are needed or wanted on blacktop of concrete.  You can buy them 50/50 as well, and alternate poly and wire wafers for a blend.  Depends on your use...I'd recommened poly, and they are cheaper by a buck or two per wafer.  I have a few years of consistent, and sometimes constant use on poly wafers and they wear well.

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 09:10 AM

Okay, so, are you going to let me borrow it if I need it????  Please???? :worshippy1:

Smitty

#10 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 09:45 AM

Nice find. I would like to have one too but they are hard to come by around here.

Just curious, do you know for sure that the 400's PTO will turn the correct way for the sweeper?

#11 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 09:56 AM

Your biggest issue might be the need to slow down the engine speed to something that resembles what the brush was designed for.  I think the Gravely PTO speeds are around 900 RPM in low range and 1200 RPM in high range.  That is with the engine running full speed, which I don't think the brush would be designed for full engine speed.   Good luck converting it.

• Pager450n said thank you

#12 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,065 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 01:30 PM

I would think the brush is geared to take engine speed input from the PTO.  Did Gravely require the use of some sort of gear reduction PTO for front attachments?  Brushes turn slow...I wanna say I was reading shaft speeds of 125-200rpm are common (depends on brush size), but they are geared down by the gearbox, or end drive sprockets.

This unit looks like it uses very small brushes, when compared to other old GT brooms which were usually 24" from Sweepster.  So, the final drive may run at a higher RPM.  Dunno.  I'd just give it a good going over....make sure the gearbox, chain, bearings, etc all look good and everything is lubed.

• Pager450n said thank you

#13 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 01:40 PM

If, as I think, that brush is for a two wheel Gravely series, then the short answer is that YES, there was gear reduction going on.  With the motor mounted at the back of the transmission, power was transferred from the engine crankshaft through a planetary gear set that reduces the speed by about 1/3.  This gear set is instrumental in the High/Low PTO and gear speeds that were available instantly without clutching.  Power flows through a shaft to the front of the engine, where it terminates in the PTO of the tractor, also feeding power to the Forward/Reverse gear cluster.  Now, I know that is the later style broom, which would have been mated to the later Gravely tractors with Kohler engines.  The Kohler engines run 1000 RPM more than the old Gravely T-head engine they replaced.  However, I think Gravely's solution to the issue was to re-engineer the High/Low planetary gearing, so the F/R and PTO speeds did not change significantly.

#14 Pager450n ONLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 02:37 PM

Okay, so, are you going to let me borrow it if I need it????  Please???? :worshippy1:

Smitty

Sure, after  I get the L3E in the 400 and then work on it :) 

It will be interesting about the rpm of the pto off the front of the engine.  Thats another thing that will change, will the L3E produce 2600< RPM in the front?  I will have to work it out due to the rear PTO and the tiller that was for the standard K532. 

If, as I think, that brush is for a two wheel Gravely series, then the short answer is that YES, there was gear reduction going on.  With the motor mounted at the back of the transmission, power was transferred from the engine crankshaft through a planetary gear set that reduces the speed by about 1/3.  This gear set is instrumental in the High/Low PTO and gear speeds that were available instantly without clutching.  Power flows through a shaft to the front of the engine, where it terminates in the PTO of the tractor, also feeding power to the Forward/Reverse gear cluster.  Now, I know that is the later style broom, which would have been mated to the later Gravely tractors with Kohler engines.  The Kohler engines run 1000 RPM more than the old Gravely T-head engine they replaced.  However, I think Gravely's solution to the issue was to re-engineer the High/Low planetary gearing, so the F/R and PTO speeds did not change significantly.

I have been looking into the model, and it was for the two wheel as you have stated.  Im not sure how this is going to be reduced by gearing or maybe I can run at a lower RPM with my diesel later on this year.

Will have to see.  I would be using it today, ran out and brought back 8 yrds of dirt, and not my daughter is making a mess in the driveway.

Edited by Pager450n, March 28, 2014 - 02:38 PM.

#15 Pager450n OFFLINE  

Pager450n
  • Contributor
  • 385 Thanks
  • 369 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 02:39 PM

Smitty

You need to come on over some time and see it and the L3E.  Summer is coming up and the 400 needs a new heart ASAP!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 400, brush, broom, quick hitch, gravely