• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SKasper OFFLINE  

SKasper

• Member No: 6207
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 07:49 AM

A friend of mine is selling his house and downsizing and gave me a YTH 150 that was just taking up space in his garage.  I am considering an engine rebuild on my '76 JD 212, so I figured this was a good tractor to have around to keep up with the lawn during the process.  Once I'm done with the JD I'll probably try to sell it for a few bucks.

At any rate, when I went to pick it up the tranny is frozen.  I moved that lever on the back into the "roller" position, took off the E-Brake and made sure the thing is in Neutral, but...nothing.

The weather is starting to clear up around here, so I finally have a chance to get out there and see what I can do to get this to move.

Any suggestions on where to start would be greatly appreciated.  I have NO experience with these hydrostatic transmissions.

Thanks in advance.

SJK

#2 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,501 Thanks
  • 3,386 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 07:56 AM

Sometimes the release handle doesn't pull far enough to actually release, and sometimes you can rock them forward and back and they'll turn loose. But I'm sure you've tried that. Hydros rarely actually lock up, sounds like the brake may be corroded .

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,787 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 09:45 AM

I've found that the caliper will corrode so the brakes can't disengage. Take the brakes apart and make sure everything moves freely. Good Luck, Rick

#4 SKasper OFFLINE  

SKasper

• Member No: 6207
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 11:22 AM

Thanks for the advise. I'll start there.

SJK

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 05:53 PM

Wasn't sure what a YTH even was and still not sure. Under Husquvarna (sic) list so guess that is it?   I was gonna say check for brakes also, Band rusted to drum, discs to pucks or what ever it has on it. I've had wheelhorses like that. Linkages with rocker shafts get stuck too and to other linkage off say brake/drive pedals.

• boyscout862 said thank you