• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mavtoy OFFLINE  

mavtoy
  • Member No: 37269
  • 72 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 09:15 PM

I 've been raised around massey's all my life but lately Ive been thinking about working on something different as well so I was riding around a small town that is in my home county spotted too lawn tractors sitting behind a house one was a jd other was a ford 80 looked like the jd had been used at least maybe last mowing season the ford had been sitting for a long time. the question I got is what would be a fair offer on the ford  assuming it don't run could care less about the jd.

• hamman said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,754 Thanks
  • 7,525 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 09:53 PM

Only you can make that decision based on the condition and attachments. I got a non running, very rusty LGT 120 with plow, deck, Brinly hitch, garden plow, and cultivator for free. An LGT 125 with plow and deck but blown engine for $65. An LGT145 non running with deck, Brinly hitch, box grader and original cart for $400. As you can see prices are all over the place. The 145 was a splurge because it was the original owner and I really like it. I pick up lawn mowers at the town transfer station and fix them. They are good trading materials for a time like this. Good Luck

Edited by boyscout862, March 26, 2014 - 09:53 PM.

• Chopperhed said thank you

#3 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 08:21 AM

It really does depend on location and local economics. Around here Fords are pretty scarce, and anyone that has one won't let it go cheap.

I picked up a "Ran last year" 1973 LT75 with a deck and trip blade for 200 delivered. Ran with a carb and tank cleaning. Really nice shape with excellent decals  and rubber.

I got a 77 LGT100 in rough shape that ran" awhile ago" with a deck and pto tiller for 200 and fuel for a 4 hour drive. Sheet metal beat, rubber rotted off, ran after a good carb cleaning and a fresh battery. Tiller in rough shape but useable, deck was in decent shape.

I also picked up a 77 LGT165 with no motor, no attachments except a scabbed up weight box for $250, and 2 hours fuel. I needed the closed side sheetmetal and tires for the LGT100, plus I wanted the hydro for another project.

It really does depend on location economics and desire.

How badly do you want it?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 mavtoy OFFLINE  

mavtoy
  • 72 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 05:01 PM

Thanks guy's Im just trying to get an idea and you really helped.   now to see if the guy will sell it,    I actually went out and worked on my  MF 7 tonight and I was thinking if I could get that 80 bought for a reasonable price  it  would make a nice  companion for  the little 7 plus the wife  and I would each have one for the parades LOL   Reasonable Price  150.00  or less maybe I'm nuts I only gave 50.00 for the 7 

Edited by mavtoy, March 27, 2014 - 08:52 PM.

• boyscout862 and Chopperhed have said thanks

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 10:31 PM

Thanks guy's Im just trying to get an idea and you really helped.   now to see if the guy will sell it,    I actually went out and worked on my  MF 7 tonight and I was thinking if I could get that 80 bought for a reasonable price  it  would make a nice  companion for  the little 7 plus the wife  and I would each have one for the parades LOL   Reasonable Price  150.00  or less maybe I'm nuts I only gave 50.00 for the 7 

I'm thinking you're right on the mark with that price range.

#6 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 10:32 AM

I agree with Chopperhed. It mostly comes down to how much you want it and what the other guy is willing to let it go for. An older gentleman once told me when we were working out a deal for some Jacobsens that my job was to buy low, and his job was to sell high. Pricing can be all over the map and under $100 or free doesn't happen too often - at least not for me. When you get up around $200-300 and above, it should at least run and/or be in pretty nice shape - in my opinion

Yesterday, I bought a non-running but mostly complete LGT165 with a PTO, rear tiller and mower deck for $100. I am planning to pick up a running Jacobsen Super Chief 1200 with a deck for $50. We all like to get stuff cheap or for free, but even at $150 you should be able to part it out and still come out ahead, or at least break even if it came down to that.

Edited by RAJ, March 28, 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#7 mavtoy OFFLINE  

mavtoy
  • 72 Thanks
  • 92 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 08:00 PM

Thanks guy's still thinking of how to approach this guy about this little ford I'll do it soon just really hoping he will let her go......you just don't see ford garden tractors a round here anymore.