OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 07:31 PM

I'm thinking that the 1256 is a bit on the highish side, but everything appears to be in very good condition so that counts for a lot. I'm betting that the seller would negotiate.

My personal opinion is that the 1256 is the best all around tractor that Bolens ever made.

Another plus if you do decide to get it is that it will definitely cure that "Green Fever" that you seem to have :D :D :D

• sodisr and propane1 have said thanks

#17 .30Nate OFFLINE  

.30Nate
  • Member No: 54961
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 07:37 PM

So now I thinking pretty hard about that Bolens. If nothing else it will "get me by" for a while. Couple questions about it though. How does the blade on the front and the tiller move up and down?

Thanks for all the input guys it really means a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 Oldford OFFLINE  

Oldford
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 50409
  • 802 Thanks
  • 572 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 08:19 PM

Hi guy, I'm new guy and looking for advice on my first GT. I'm going to be moving from a house in town to a new house that has about 2.5 acres of grass to mow and 7.5 acres of woods. I need something to mow with, help me get firewood out of the woods, till the garden and push or blow the snow off the gravel driveway.

On a side note I would love to get something that runs good but needs to be restored. I have restored a couple cars (Mustangs) and loved every minute of it. I think a resto on a GT would be a lot of fun.

Good question 2.5 acres lot of grass.  Maybe get cheap 80's/90's good shape +/-$400 mower GT mowing hard on engine full throttle hot work replace when blows.  Find older GT steel frame not sheet metal for ground engage snowblower etc long term use fix up.

What are you guy's thoughts on that bolens? http://limaohio.crai...4322691160.html.

For brand info go to brand subforums search model# engine type look for pros cons.  That way get info beforehand when deal comes up.   That one looks high been on market a while.

Buy local check it out condition of machine more important than brand imo many good old GT brands search forums lots of info be patient find a good one right price

Welcome to GTT have fun

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#19 MYMF10 OFFLINE  

MYMF10

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5445
  • 161 Thanks
  • 83 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 09:02 PM

:welcometogttalk:

#20 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 09:12 PM

The 1256 has a foot controlled hydrostatic trans, and with Bolens, that means the it also has hydraulic lift for the attachments.

Also, the PTO powered attachments are shaft driven, so hooking them up is a lot easier that belt driven attachments.

Edited by OldBuzzard, March 26, 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#21 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,104 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 09:14 PM

Check tractordata.com.  It has some information. Because it's a hydro it may have hydraulic lift. But only one attachment at a time. Noel  

#22 .30Nate OFFLINE  

.30Nate
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 08:32 AM

Ok guys I found this http://limaohio.crai...4332696216.html JD 300 with a deck and a 49 snowblower for $1200.00. Is this a good deal and do they make a tiller to fit on the back of it?

#23 gtcsreg ONLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 08:43 AM

:welcometogttalk:  :wewantpics: of the Mustangs!

#24 .30Nate OFFLINE  

.30Nate
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 08:57 AM

I'll see if I can dig some up tonight. I have done mostly fox bodies (79-93) but I did do an awesome 68 for my exgirlriend. It started out as a basket case I6 with a 3 speed auto. That got replaced with a fuelinjected 5.0 and a overdrive trans and a midnight blue paint job, with weld rodlite wheels. I miss that car everyday :( Mine is a 91 GT that had brand new paint when I got and rotted front frame rails and strut towers. I pretty much cut that car off at the firewall and started over. Put a rebuilt 5.0 in it with heads, intakem, solid roller cam and everything else. I have a hard time keeping transmissions in it lol.

#25 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 09:32 AM

Nate,

First off, WELCOME! There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on this forum... many of them have been in the game for years if not decades and have owned multiple brands.

Since no one else really addressed your question about the JD models you posted I will (to the best of my knowledge).

First, since you want the multiple attachments I would stay away from the JD400. I've got one and I really like it, it was JD's first venture into "Super Garden Tractor" area but they are also not as common and don't share attachments with the 420 and 430.

Back to the 318, it seems that everyone that has one thinks that the 318 hung the moon. There are a lot of them and their attachments out there but they hold their value.

The 420 and 430 are the more common super size JD's out there, the 420 is gas and the 430 is Yanmar Diesel. Both are beasts but I believe the 430 is much more desired due to it being diesel. Both have plenty of attachments, multiple hydraulic controls, big decks and more common 3pt lifts. If you are serious about gardening the 3pt lift will be very handy.

Lastly, don't dismiss diesel yet! Mowing 2.5 acres you need to consider fuel economy and durability. Diesel generally are much easier on fuel and last MANY more hours... While my neighbors burn a couple of gallons of gas per hour mowing, I burn 0.24 gallons/hour of fuel in my Kubota diesel.

Regarding the Bolens... if the funds are available and he will deal with you (that price is top of the spectrum for around here) then try it out. See if you like it. You might realize that it will do all you need or you might realize that you want multiple GT's and multiple brands around for various jobs (like most of us!!).

As far as things to check for on older used equipment. First of all if you've restored older cars you should have some idea of general condition items. Besides the engine, tires are one of the biggest expenses. If you have to replace them all then that could be $300-$500. Make sure the hydro doesn't whine too much and the fluid isn't burnt. Decks aren't cheap but rebuilding the spindles isn't too bad so just make sure the deck is solid first. 

Sorry for such a long winded post. Good luck and post up what you find!

• propane1 and .30Nate have said thanks

#26 .30Nate OFFLINE  

.30Nate
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 10:11 AM

Two step thank you so much for that reply, that's the info I was looking for.

This is off topic but here are the pics of a couple mustangs (I hope). ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395932989.251463.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395933011.417806.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395933078.957216.jpg

#27 .30Nate OFFLINE  

.30Nate
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 10:13 AM

And 1 of the 91 during surgery. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395933231.269501.jpg

#28 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 10:33 AM

Welcome..!! and nice looking stangs....

I too own a  ford  1970  Mach 1

If you like to tinker on cars,,,then older GT's are for you..   I will add,, !!,, that I found out,,Tinkering can get caught up with the REAL chore at hand...I too mow a couple acres and sometimes you get about half done,and this or that can break,,  Not that it can't on a newer machine..  But then you have to go on the hunt to get parts.... Where a newer GT may put you back in the drivers seat sooner..

Hope I didn't confuse your'e decisions,, and good luck on what ever you decide.. Keep us posted and include pics..  Welcome aboard ..!!!

#29 gtcsreg ONLINE  

gtcsreg
  • Member No: 25875
  • 1,665 Thanks
  • 1,646 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 10:59 AM

Two step thank you so much for that reply, that's the info I was looking for.

This is off topic but here are the pics of a couple mustangs (I hope). attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1395932989.251463.jpg

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1395933011.417806.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1395933078.957216.jpg

The '08 is my current baby.  The '68 is one I restored just after High School.  You're going to like this place!

Attached Thumbnails

• reg photo 10th 048.jpg
  • 1968 Mustang  Fastback (Mine).jpg

#30 .30Nate OFFLINE  

.30Nate
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 11:14 AM

Nate,
First off, WELCOME! There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on this forum... many of them have been in the game for years if not decades and have owned multiple brands.

Since no one else really addressed your question about the JD models you posted I will (to the best of my knowledge).
First, since you want the multiple attachments I would stay away from the JD400. I've got one and I really like it, it was JD's first venture into "Super Garden Tractor" area but they are also not as common and don't share attachments with the 420 and 430.

Back to the 318, it seems that everyone that has one thinks that the 318 hung the moon. There are a lot of them and their attachments out there but they hold their value.

The 420 and 430 are the more common super size JD's out there, the 420 is gas and the 430 is Yanmar Diesel. Both are beasts but I believe the 430 is much more desired due to it being diesel. Both have plenty of attachments, multiple hydraulic controls, big decks and more common 3pt lifts. If you are serious about gardening the 3pt lift will be very handy.

Lastly, don't dismiss diesel yet! Mowing 2.5 acres you need to consider fuel economy and durability. Diesel generally are much easier on fuel and last MANY more hours... While my neighbors burn a couple of gallons of gas per hour mowing, I burn 0.24 gallons/hour of fuel in my Kubota diesel.

Regarding the Bolens... if the funds are available and he will deal with you (that price is top of the spectrum for around here) then try it out. See if you like it. You might realize that it will do all you need or you might realize that you want multiple GT's and multiple brands around for various jobs (like most of us!!).

As far as things to check for on older used equipment. First of all if you've restored older cars you should have some idea of general condition items. Besides the engine, tires are one of the biggest expenses. If you have to replace them all then that could be $300-$500. Make sure the hydro doesn't whine too much and the fluid isn't burnt. Decks aren't cheap but rebuilding the spindles isn't too bad so just make sure the deck is solid first. 

Sorry for such a long winded post. Good luck and post up what you find!

Never thought much about fuel comsumption till you brought it up. So a diesel may be the way to go. I would love to go pick this one http://columbus.crai...4390463830.html up but it's a little out of my price range right now. I think I may just pick up that Bolens to get me by for a while then find something better. Also I forgot I had the sellers of the house leave me their zero ture to mow with. So whatever tractor I get will see limited mowing time.