• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 .30Nate OFFLINE  

.30Nate
  • Member No: 54961
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 04:02 PM

Hi guy, I'm new guy and looking for advice on my first GT. I'm going to be moving from a house in town to a new house that has about 2.5 acres of grass to mow and 7.5 acres of woods. I need something to mow with, help me get firewood out of the woods, till the garden and push or blow the snow off the gravel driveway.

I would love to go to the John Deere dealership and drop 20K on all new stuff but that's not in the budget right now. I have been looking at the JD 318, 400, 420 and the 430. I would like to have a gas tractor so I only have to keep 1 kind of fuel in stock at the house but I might go for a diesel if the deal was right. Itwill be a few months before I'm able to get anything but I like to research things a lot before I dive in head first.

Ok now for the questions. What is the difference between the tractors I listed above? Did they make a tiller and blade to fit all of them? If so model numbers would be great! What kind of things should I be checking for when looking at one to buy? Check compression wear items? Is there any other tractors that will do what I need that are green? And one other thing, I have been looking at this Bolens 1256 on Craigslist just to get me buy till the right JD comes along but I'm not sure if it's a good deal or not, it's pretty old http://limaohio.crai...4322691160.html.

Sorry I have so many questions for you guys to think about but I have looked at other GT sites and it looks like all the knowledge is here and this place seems more friendly.

On a side note I would love to get something that runs good but needs to be restored. I have restored a couple cars (Mustangs) and loved every minute of it. I think a resto on a GT would be a lot of fun.

• tractorgarden, sacsr, MYMF10 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 04:13 PM

Save yourself many thousands and buy what you want used.

And you might want to look at other brands than JD.

• trowel and A.C.T. have said thanks

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 04:17 PM

.30Nate... :welcometogttalk:

• trowel and A.C.T. have said thanks

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 04:21 PM

Welcome to GT Talk, i see you are after quality, there are many JD experts here who are more then willing to advise you on the older tractors to fit your needs and requirments.

While dwelling on the subject matter look and ask around for other brands of tractors, there are many.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#5 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 04:21 PM

untitled welcome.png

Everyone has a favorite, I like my 318 and has many attachments available.

If I had to have just one tractor, I would take a look at a JD 445. Power Steering, 22Horse w/ Liquid Cooling, Fuel Injection, 60 inch deck, Diff Lock and Hydraulics. A real workhorse!  Old enough to save money but new enough to be relatively trouble free.

Edited by A.C.T., March 26, 2014 - 04:30 PM.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 04:23 PM

Welcome to the forum!! Are you stuck on JD? I like JD but I will readily admit that there are many other great tractors out there. When looking for a used tractor it's sometimes useful to expand your horizons a bit. A lot of times that dream tractor that you want won't be available when you want it and at a price you can afford. Since you want to get certain attachments you should consider looking for tractor setups that will meet those needs and then look at the brand as a secondary consideration. It's sometimes difficult to find attachments for many brands and a lot depends on what was sold in your area. So if you found a large frame Bolens or a Cub Super or a MF 1655 or a Simplicity GT etc with the right attachments they are worth serious consideration. They all have strong points and weaknesses but none of them is of much use to you without the right attachments to do the job. One other thing is condition. It varies all over the map and some tractors are just plain worn out and aren't worth the asking price. Check the forums here on the different brands to get a feel for the models and typical problem areas etc. Ask questions on specific models if you need more info. 

#7 .30Nate OFFLINE  

.30Nate
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome and replies! As for being stuck on a John Deere the answer is yes.  I'm sure there are other good GT's out there and some may be that are better but I really want a green one.

#8 .30Nate OFFLINE  

.30Nate
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 04:47 PM

Ok I might have had a change of heart. I would prob consider about anything if the price was good and had some of the attachments I wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 04:48 PM

:welcometogttalk:

here is a link to charts that show attachments for jds http://gardentractor...what-fits-what/

each tractor you have listed above have there ups and downs you might want to expand your search to other models like a 317 or a 322

here is a list of all the jd gts and specs on them  http://www.tractorda...n-tractors.html

as for things to look for i would look for general maintenance and the hours on the machine  

#10 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,109 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 05:19 PM

Welcome, Just my opinion of what you need is a least a 48' deck, ag tires or chains for traction, a tiller and a snow blower or thrower. Snow plows wont move heavy wet snow if you get a lot, but do a nice job and fun to play with. So any brand with those attachments would be a good working machine. I can see you like the John Deere. You should have more than one tractor as some of us do, just so you don't have to keep changing attachments as the jobs change.  And is there a dealer or small engine shop near by to get parts for whatever brand you get. Just my thoughts, Noel  

• Chopperhed said thank you

#11 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 05:21 PM

Welcome to GTtalk.  As said there are a lot of good tractors out there that will do the job for you.  Since you are going used look around and see what meets your needs the best and then go check them out and see which one you like.  I like JD's as well but there are a couple of things to consider with a JD.  One is their manuals are hard to come by, unless you find someone who has the same tractor as you and has a manual you will end up giving JD $$$ or one.  The issue is part's.  You can get some common aftermarket parts but more often then not you will end up going back to the JD dealer to get some of your parts.   Of course parts can be an issue on any old tractor as well.

• Chopperhed said thank you

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,458 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 05:32 PM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Sounds like the guys are offering up some points to ponder!

#13 .30Nate OFFLINE  

.30Nate
  • 12 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 06:11 PM

What are you guy's thoughts on that bolens? http://limaohio.crai...4322691160.html.

#14 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,109 Thanks
  • 3,200 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 06:31 PM

Nice. Has all the stuff your are looking for. Good deal in my area, not sure about yours. I never had a Bolens, but always heard good things about them. I would snap it up before its gone. you can always resell it when you find a John Deere. Looks like a starter generator on it so it would be early 70's or older I think. Noel

#15 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 07:27 PM

That bolens is in good shape but I think the money is a bit hi,  As far as I have ever seen the bolens are really good machines, super tough, dependable and the parts are not to hard to come by.  I agree with allot of what I have read.  JD's are great but pricey and hard to come by, around here especially.  If it were you I would keep looking till you find something you like.  I am personally an allis man.

Call the guy about the bolens, go look and bring a trailer and cash.  it is amazing what you can do with a trailer and cash, the guy will see you mean business and you may get a good deal.  Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Pete

• twostep and propane1 have said thanks