Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Dump Rake Project

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 4,584 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 05:54 AM

I plan to grow more sorghum grass for mulching my garden but always wished for a dump rake

http://gardentractor...or-mulch/page-3

, I found this on CL and will be picking it up this weekend  , it's missing some teeth but looks like there are 16 left ( I haven't seen it in person ) so that should be enough to make a small one like this one used on a Farmall Cub.

Attached Thumbnails

• 00t0t_1goBRPyTHAs_600x450.jpg
  • hayrake1.jpg

• MH81, hamman, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 2,828 Thanks
  • 2,759 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 06:22 AM

Hi Al, what are you doing w/ the sorghum gras? Just let it grow up to mulch it or is it growing slower or faster or anything...

• trowel said thank you

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 12,424 Thanks
  • 26,027 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 06:26 AM

This bears watching, Al. I'm hoping to build a rake later this spring out of some tines I was given. Finally got an idea going how to mount them. May gleam some info from your build.

• trowel said thank you

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Tractorholic

• Member No: 5127
  • 3,601 Thanks
  • 3,829 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 06:42 AM

Im thinking you got a good idea going there ! the DB tractors has a 6 feet drop rake that attaches to the sulky, makes for a 2 mile long set up but cool for spring cleaning.

A mini side delivery rake would be neat, i though that would be cool for leaves.

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 14,580 Thanks
  • 21,429 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 06:46 AM

Be a nice addition when done. Might ask Lauber1 how his works and if he has any hints on design.
Trowel, do you have one too?
  • trowel said thank you

#6 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Tractorholic

• 3,601 Thanks
  • 3,829 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 07:06 AM

My uncle has one if i want to borrow it for use, they are rare and hard to find for walk behinds, not a common attachment.

If photos of the drop rake is needed i am willing to upload some.

I have the horse drawn drop rake my grandfather used in the day before he bought a side delivery rake.

Edited by trowel, March 26, 2014 - 07:08 AM.

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 4,584 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 07:56 AM

Hi Al, what are you doing w/ the sorghum gras? Just let it grow up to mulch it or is it growing slower or faster or anything...

I'm just growing it as mulch to use in the garden . I have some rows between the planting area now . My thought was to plant in the mulched rows and move the planting rows every few year so some day the whole garden  would  be at least once mulched with the sorghum .  It's a warm weather type grass with thick,, almost corn stalk like , it will die off in fall and not overwinter , right now there's winter rye planted there .

Attached Thumbnails

• post-1094-0-10576600-1383702844.jpg

• IamSherwood, trowel, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 1,913 Thanks
  • 1,953 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 05:01 PM

Well I have 2 of them, actually, one restored and on the back of the 619 Suburban and the other one is in piece on the floor of one of the shed, still waiting to be redone.  I haven't done a lot with it, but you get a lot of looks at shows.

619 and rake.jpg

• Alc, IamSherwood, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 4,584 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 09:05 PM

That's  a great side shot of your dump rake :thumbs: I'm sure I'll be asking for a few more pictures once I get it home and try figuring how to make it a tractor mount instead of pull type

• trowel said thank you

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 2,538 Thanks
  • 3,146 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 08:33 AM

I want one too!!  I bought a landscape rake for my Ford and it is not quite doing what I want. It has proven itself a great tool for grading my gravel lane though. The Dump rake is one of those projects still bouncing around in my head.

• trowel said thank you

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 4,584 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 07:34 PM

With the forecast of rain for Sat. I asked if I could get the dump rake today , thought I'd better asked if the teeth were "ok" because I couldn't tell from the pictures and I want to use it , he said they were good and he had some extra teeth in  his garage to fill in for those that were missing :dancingbanana:    When I went to pick it up it was in nicer shape then in the picture but 3 of the teeth were rusted at the attachment point and they broke off when I unloaded it .My original intent was to cut it apart to make one like I posted that was used on a Farmall Cub . I'm going to have to think about it now , might just use '' as-is" idk   I'll  have to get my friend Joe to give me a demo on how the dump mechanism works or maybe one of you used this model and can give some info/pointers ect

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0560.JPG
  • DSCN0561.JPG
  • DSCN0562.JPG
  • DSCN0563.JPG
  • DSCN0564.JPG

#12 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Tractorholic

• 3,601 Thanks
  • 3,829 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 08:43 PM

Well it is not John Deere so i think your safe from the JD guys, i see a lot of potential there, chopping the sides down and attaching  pneumatic wheels, cut the tines down a little and switch out the missing tines with the good, build a hitch.

Yeh, i can see that happening.

• Alc said thank you

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 4,584 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 05:25 AM

From searching the net it seems to be a McCormick Deering  Type M self dumping rake .I kind of wish it wasn't so nice lol ,, it would make it easier for me to cut it apart and make it into a rake more sized for my use .

• trowel said thank you

#14 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Tractorholic

• 3,601 Thanks
  • 3,829 posts

Posted March 28, 2014 - 06:56 AM

Works of art, just about everything pre-war was custom fitted to work as a whole and it invokes days gone by.

• Alc said thank you

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 4,584 posts

Posted April 19, 2014 - 06:57 AM

The dump rake project has hit a snag . looking at how it's constructed I think the framework that I was planning on using to lift the whole rake is too small . The heavier angle is what the teeth are mounted to and wheels with the smaller thinner is what you would pull and what I was going to try adding brackets for lifting . The new plan is to just remove all the brackets holding the  teeth  , repairing the rusted sections of the teeth that were hidden in the brackets and use it how it was designed .That would need to be done no matter how  it was going to be pulled anyway . I'm pretty sure if I wrap  damp rages around the coil part of the spring  it shouldn't hurt  welding the almost  rusted areas ?  Also does anyone know how the trip  mechanism works ?  

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0588.JPG
  • DSCN0589.JPG
  • DSCN0590.JPG
  • DSCN0591.JPG
  • DSCN0592.JPG