#1 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 08:22 PM

I recently got into keeping an aquarium. Right now I have a 55 gallon tank and have 5 fish. Tiger Oscar, Blood Parrot, Convict Cichlid, Albino Bristlenose and a Black Bristlenose.

• Alc, oldedeeres and Gabriel have said thanks

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 08:31 PM

I had a cichlid tank for awhile. Neat fish. Now i just have the koi pond
  • SearsYellow and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 09:03 PM

I have a 5 gallon, with one Goldfish (it's not gold colored anymore, but silver).

Edited by Gabriel, March 25, 2014 - 09:05 PM.

#4 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 09:37 PM

We have one goldfish that is now quite collectable.  That thing is antique, I think the creature is 12 years old.  I didn't know goldfish lived that long.  I keep thinking that it is going to die, but it has decided that it will make the most out of life and outlive me probably.

Ben W.

• oldedeeres and Gabriel have said thanks

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 09:51 PM

I have a 25 gallon tank in the basement with 2 - 6" comets. I summer them in the pond.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#6 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 12:38 AM

Yup, a 35 gal. community tank in the kitchen with various tetras, raspboras, guppies, a couple of catfish and a pleco; a 10 gal. in the bathroom with an African Cichlid to keep the cats occupied overnight, another 10 gal. in the living room with another A. cichlid. Long story short, they are what is left of a school of murderous cichlids that killed each other off until only the two toughest guys were left. I finally set up the two tanks and they are living in solitary confinement for the rest of their days, lol. It was that or let one kill the other and feed the survivor to the cat!Fred.jpg
  • Alc said thank you

#7 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 05:29 AM

Ive had several over many years, aquariums and ponds, fresh and saltwater, everything from guppies to stingrays. Dont have one setup right now but most ever was seven, last one was a live rock/corral tank but the daughter has that tank now for her corn snakes... dont expect that one back. Lol

but Im building an indoor pond these days with a model train going around it, has about a 30 gal lake that can be seen but theres another 20 gal filtering system underneath the layout, the same system that ran the corral tank, havent decided on the type of fish yet, it will be freshwater because the salt buildup around a salt lake would corrode the train track.

I prefer salt tanks, a bit more to the original setup but they are actually lower maintaince over all, and really not much differance in cost either, fresh or salt once your involved in a hobby like this your always spending $$$ on something anyway, alot more options for saltwater fish/critters too.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 05:54 AM

We'v got a 20 gallon with 2 gold fish, one of which is maybe 4 yrs old now, and various other smaller fish. Recently got some neon tetras that were infected with Ich and luckily we got them out of the tank before the others got infected. It's mostly my wifes hobby.

#9 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 07:37 AM

I just had a run in with Ich. The parasite didn't end up killing the fish it because the chemical I treated it with did. That's why I went from a community tank to a cichlids tank. Even though my blood parrot is evil! I did have a Jelly Bean Blood Parrot until I put the standard Blood Parrot in there. 10 dollar fish killed a 25 dollar fish. I thought about filleting it out and feeding it to my cats but I'd hate to lose another 10 bucks.

Edited by SearsYellow, March 26, 2014 - 08:09 AM.

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 08:59 AM

Ich is actually a stess related issue for the fish. Unfortunately, left un-treaed it can kill them. Especially bad for no scale type fish like loaches.

I love the look of parrots, but they are one of the meanest out there.

Hopefully your oscar and Parrot won't eat your Plecos. I tried that when they were all young and small. As soon as Oscars got big enouguh, they ate my small pleco and Algaes.

I tried salt a few years back, tank was too small and couldn't keep it regulated. Traded in fish before I killed them all.

kind of wished I still had my 125 gal, but it took up sooooo much room!

I have several, 44 gal hex community, 45 gal bow front with 2 oscars, and a jack dempsey. My son has a 20 gal with goldfish and snapping turtle, 55 gal with goldfish and another turtle, indoor pond about 100 gal with goldfish & 2 paints and 2 yellow ear sliders, and I have an outdoor pond 150 gal with some big ole goldfish.

I'm going to hate moving all this in a few months, I will be shutting down my 44 hex and I may just set up a temporary pond and leave this one, but I am not leaving my goldfish. For $.19 feeders and fair fish, they are huge and have long beautiful fins, they are going with me.

Edited by TAHOE, March 26, 2014 - 09:22 AM.

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 09:18 AM

photobucket-38834-1369791822802_zpse2097

photobucket-39075-1369791846966_zps0ef7b

photobucket-38266-1369791954892_zps7a777

photobucket-39013-1369791913928_zpsddef0

FILTER6_zps49aca8c4.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, March 26, 2014 - 09:19 AM.

#12 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 12:40 PM

Do you have pictures of the Feeders? I plan to put a pond outside and KOIs are EXPENSIVE.

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 01:11 PM

Do you have pictures of the Feeders? I plan to put a pond outside and KOIs are EXPENSIVE.

Other than that mass of orange in my pond pic above, no I do not.

My son buys the the feeders at Petsmart for his turtles, they are $18-19 or something like that. The ones that are able to get away from the turtles end up growing to big and out to pond they go. He also wins goldfish at our county fair that go into the pond. We have 3 that look almost ornamental type goldfish with very large fins. A couple are probably close to the size of a tennis ball, but they are 5-6 yrs old too.  

There are some relatively cheap goldfish ( $5-15) that look very close to koi, but do not get as big or as much $$$$. I would have to google to remember what they are.

After we move, I plan to build a pond probably 4-5 times that size, looking to build one 10 x12 or so and about 3 feet deep.

#14 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 01:29 PM

Speaking of Oscars reminded me.... at one time I had a single red belly piranha about 7" long.. buddy of mine showed up one day with an Oscar about 10" long he wanted to throw in the tank... in his mind the Oscar was gonna kill the piranha... and it certainly tried, chased the piranha around the tank for two days, but the piranha eventually stopped swimming away and started to fight back, wasnt much of contest after that, just bits and pieces of an Oscar all over the bottom of the tank.

@ Tahoe... a tank in every room is an addiction buddy.. I been there.. Lol

Smallest salt tank Ive had was 20gal with about 12gal of live rock in it, with 90gal/hour pump, was one of the easiest tanks Ive ever owned to maintain, anenome and two clownfish, few hermit crab and cleaner shrimp, couple green stars.

Worst thing for an aquarium is over population..general rule for me is 1" of critter per gallon of water.
Second worst thing is an undergravel filter, all sorts of parasites thrive in them, reservoir filters are my personal favorite, a little more $$ and space reqiured but far less work and a much cleaner tank overall.

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 26, 2014 - 02:37 PM

@ Tahoe... a tank in every room is an addiction buddy.. I been there.. Lol

Worst thing for an aquarium is over population..general rule for me is 1" of critter per gallon of water.
Second worst thing is an undergravel filter, all sorts of parasites thrive in them, reservoir filters are my personal favorite, a little more $$ and space reqiured but far less work and a much cleaner tank overall.

Yea, but I only have two of the tanks and the pond, the rest are the boy's :rolling:

I will be shutting down the hex when we move, just now room and it only has a few fish in it which will go in one of boy's tanks.

I've been turned onto the "moving bed" filters as of late. I made one for the Oscar tank using K1 media, a bottle, and an air pump. Takes a couple months to get established, but a great filter for bacteria to grow in and maintain chemical levels.