• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 04:39 PM

Been a wondrous day.  Day started out with me not quite awake, throwing a log into the fireplace and laying my hand against some metal.  Got a nice 3 inch burn, first couple layers of skin gone.  Bandaged that up and go into the shop to do some wood working.  I have some parts I stained last week.  Noticed the darn wood was still not dry.  Crank heat up to 70 and will give it another couple days to totally dry out before I put shellac on them.  Soooo, next the snow blower.

Pulled the blower pto/gear off to examine it.  What do I see?  The bearings are in great shape, cool.  BUT... I'll show ya what the gear looks like (no teeth.. LOL).  These shafts are no longer available from what I have found so far, so I need help with a source.  I need number 15:  http://www.partstree...nt (MF)&dn=5771  Anyone have one?  OR a good source?

P3250774.JPG

P3250775.JPG

#2 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 04:49 PM

I think this is a different  blower?

Attached Thumbnails

• blower.jpg

#3 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 04:54 PM

Thats not the blower I have.  Mine runs off of a PTO shaft to a gear-box on the left side (sitting on tractor).  This drives a chain to the auger.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 05:16 PM

Any chance you could buy a standard sprocket of the right size and have it welded onto the shaft, or even make a new shaft from keyed shaft stock and again use a standard sprocket. That one is really totalled! 

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 05:17 PM

If someone knows what size chain and you can count the teeth, I can't imagine you can't get a sprocket from somewhere and cut that off, weld on new one.

How far away from that gear does the bearing ride?

#6 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 05:19 PM

I've thought about talking the shaft to a machine shop and have them turn the gear down.  Then slide a new sprocket on and weld it solid.  Probably about all I can do unless someone has one they are willing to part with.  From what I can tell, the sprocket is a part of the shaft?

#7 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted March 25, 2014 - 07:18 PM

Are you sure that the one side of the sprocket isn't a cap? Kind of appears that way in your picture. It seems to me to be a lot of machining to make something like that and manufacturers are always looking at cost factor. By the hash marks I am thinking cover.

Kurtee

#8 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted April 28, 2014 - 08:06 PM

Dropped the shaft off at the machine shop this morn, they called me back few hours later with it fixed.  They had to turn it on a lathe to cut/break the welds.  Then they drilled out a sprocket/welded it on.  Going to cost me ~85 when I pick it up sometime this week.  They could not find a #40 chain sprocket with 12 teeth but they had a #40 13 tooth one just a tiny bit bigger.  I hope it works, not enough of a size difference to change ratio much.  Guess I'm happy, I won't have to try it out until fall/winter now... I HOPE.  During this time I'm going to remove/replace the chain, no need to use old worn out chain.  Might even take the drum out and replace the other gear, I see those are still available.  We'll see when I get it apart if it needs replaced or not.

• Gabriel said thank you

#9 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 11:46 PM

Finally went to town and picked up the shaft/gear. They did a very good job on it, came back looking darn near new. Between playing with my new tractor (1936 AC Unstyled WC) and some wood working I was/am way behind on, I put the gear box back togather. If it ever STOPS raining..... I will get the box put back on the blower, check the chain and the other gear to see if they need replaced, etc. Now I will have to wait (not complaining) to try it out on some of the white stuff.... yea, I can wait for sure.