Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

My electrolysis tank setup for the garden tractors.

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#46 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 08:30 AM

George, exactly why I use a 20 gal tank. It doesn't take a whole lot of chemical, power, or time. The tank you are using is almost industrial size, {read expensive]. I use my batteries because of good clean DC. I use 20 gal barrell so electrodes are close to target. I dont do any very large peices, so issue of size has never come up.

.02 cents, George

I agree George, the smaller tank is the way to go on the smaller stuff or stuff that will fit in it. I wanted to do the large tank to be able to do an entire hood or frame at one shot. I guess it is a little trial and error to get it right since this is the first tank setup anyone has posted that is more then 100 gallon. We are going to get another charger that will do 40 amp at 12volt and see how it does. I put the welder on it for a little bit last night just to see if it made any difference and it was definitely bubbling more.

When I get home from work I am going to pull the step plate out of the smaller tank and see how it turned out after 24 hours of being in there.

#47 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 08:48 AM

George, didn't mean to sound snippy. If you use a larger more powerful charger, you should see good results. If you are pulling too much current, and overloading charger, you can pull electrodes up out of solution a little until you get current where you want it. I am really interested in your results, and when you acheive good results, and you will, pse give us a good post with all details in one package.

Thanks George

#48 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 08:54 AM

George, didn't mean to sound snippy.

It's alright, I never took your reply as being snippy. I was just kind of joking that if I could sandwich the hood and frame in a 20 gallon tank I would LOL

#49 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 08:55 AM

How about minimizing the amount of fluid in the tank? Drian some out and use blocks or something similar to take up space, which would reduce the overall amount of water in there.

#50 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 09:00 AM

How about minimizing the amount of fluid in the tank? Drian some out and use blocks or something similar to take up space, which would reduce the overall amount of water in there.

I think the idea would work but the only thing I can think of to put in that would stay at the bottom would be concrete block and it would be a pain to get them back out unless you drain the tank. I think what I might do is only do one large piece at a time and lower the water level to where it just covers the piece. Right now I have the hood in there at an angle and then another small piece which could fit in the small tank. If I hang the hood upside down and have it almost all the way at the bottom of the tank and then lower the water level it might work better.

It is going to be a lot of trial and error no matter what I do. I have a 55 gallon drum I can make a middle size tank out of too. I don't want to see what the electric bill is going to be if we have three tanks going at once LOL.

#51 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 09:18 AM

I agree George, the smaller tank is the way to go on the smaller stuff or stuff that will fit in it. I wanted to do the large tank to be able to do an entire hood or frame at one shot. I guess it is a little trial and error to get it right since this is the first tank setup anyone has posted that is more then 100 gallon. We are going to get another charger that will do 40 amp at 12volt and see how it does. I put the welder on it for a little bit last night just to see if it made any difference and it was definitely bubbling more.

When I get home from work I am going to pull the step plate out of the smaller tank and see how it turned out after 24 hours of being in there.

With my 100 gallon take I used my 20 amp battery charger, but had to trick it with battery in the circuit, then it would kick off after 24 hours and would have to be restarted.

I am going to try and get a larger power supply to use in the spring.

#52 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 11:37 AM

Before we make up our minds on what charger to go with. Do you guys think a charger that will do 40 amps continuous will be enough for the big tank? Or would we be better off getting one that will do 60 amp at 12volt and 80 amp at 6 volt?

It is basically a hundred dollar difference between the chargers which is why I am asking. If the 40 amp will do the job then we would be better off saving the money but if we get the 40 amp and find out we could still use more then it would be a little disappointing.

#53 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 11:44 AM

George,
Do you know anyone who has the same size charger that you could borrow to try? Or maybe your NAPA/? store would let you try one out.

Brian

#54 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 11:45 AM

I think the 40 amp will be plenty, BUT the quality difference between the Harbor Freight model & the Schuemacher is night & day. I've not had good experiences with electrical items from Harbor freight, so I avoid them. Bought a MIG & it made a single spark, then DEAD. Dad bought a hammer drill & used it once, and the main shaft bent like butter. I bought a reciprocating saw & it has no power at all. My HF bandsaw is great, BUT, not until I replaced the motor with a US built motor. The HF motor wouldn't power your hat off your head. Others experiences might be better, but every HF electrical powered tool I bought had major issues.

#55 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 12:03 PM

I think the 40 amp will be plenty, BUT the quality difference between the Harbor Freight model & the Schuemacher is night & day. I've not had good experiences with electrical items from Harbor freight, so I avoid them. Bought a MIG & it made a single spark, then DEAD. Dad bought a hammer drill & used it once, and the main shaft bent like butter. I bought a reciprocating saw & it has no power at all. My HF bandsaw is great, BUT, not until I replaced the motor with a US built motor. The HF motor wouldn't power your hat off your head. Others experiences might be better, but every HF electrical powered tool I bought had major issues.

Harbor Freight is a good place for something cheap.I would not buy anything from them that i would use often as far as the electrical power stuff goes.Question to ask your self is will you need a bigger charge in the future.If you have the money it is always better to have more power then not enough.I have a 80 amp 12/24 volt and it does all i need would i get smaller no.So it is a investment you need to look at not just for the tank but for years to come.Good luck with your choice.

#56 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 12:52 PM

I am going to venture over to our main warehouse here at work and see what we might have over there that I could "borrow" for the night.

Here are the three chargers that we are trying to decide upon.

Schumacher SE-4020 - Advance Auto has them in stock for $135.00 Here is a link to it on Schumacher's site: SE-4020:

Scumacher SE-3000 - Amazon has it for $198 and free shipping and advance auto has them but not in stock for $258.00. Here is a link to it on Schumacher's site: SE-3000:

The think I don't understand unless it is just a photo error is the picture they show of the SE-3000 on the Amazon site is different then what is shown on Schumachers site, northern tools site, and advance autoparts. Here is a link to it on amazon's site: Amazon.com: Schumacher SE-3000 Manual Fleet Battery Charger: Automotive

I noticed the price went up on amazon by $3 since I checked it last night.

Here is the one from Harbor Freight that we are considering: N/M, now their charger is showing that it is $149.00 and yesterday it was $89.00

#57 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 01:00 PM

Alright, I guess I should have called Dad before I posted that last post. I no sooner posted that last post and figured I would call him and here he already went and bought the Schumacher SE-4020 which will do 40 amp at 12 volt. He already had it hooked up to the big tank already for about 3 minutes when I called. He said it is bubbling now :D

#58 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 01:28 PM

Great news George, Thats the neat thing about dads. They love to surprise the kids.

#59 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 01:33 PM

:dancingbanana:George is cookin' again......

#60 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 02:45 PM

I will have to make another video of the new and improved bubbling action. Wonder if it is still getting the big bubbles to go bloooop.