Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

My electrolysis tank setup for the garden tractors.

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#31 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 04:39 PM

George, one thing to remember, on initial run, rebar can insulate itself with gunk to where you have very little current flow. Before you get too carried away, take rebar out and use angle grinder to shine it back up, I think you will see immediate difference. Rebar is hard to clean up, that's why I use flat iron 1/4 by 1 or 2, cleans up easier.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#32 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 06:37 AM

George, one thing to remember, on initial run, rebar can insulate itself with gunk to where you have very little current flow. Before you get too carried away, take rebar out and use angle grinder to shine it back up, I think you will see immediate difference. Rebar is hard to clean up, that's why I use flat iron 1/4 by 1 or 2, cleans up easier.

I might add a couple pieces of flat stock to the rebar cage to make it easier to at least clean them up. Thanks for the tip George.

#33 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 06:40 AM

I went out and checked on the tank this morning. We switched the charger that we were using last night and it seemed to make a difference in the amount of bubbling action. I do think though we might have to use more current or a bigger charger. Not much has changed in the parts as of this morning.

Anyone know if hooking two chargers up will have any ill effects?

Here is a short video I made yesterday of the bubbling. I do have to say though since we upped the amount of soda in the mixture the foam and stuff floating at the top of the tank has seemed to have dropped to the bottom of the tank which is what I would have expected all along.

#34 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for the video,looks like it is going alright.

#35 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 07:27 AM

Thanks for the video,looks like it is going alright.

Good set-up, George.

Does it make any difference in the size of the item you put in the tank?... meaning does it take longer to remove the rust/paint off a larger piece as apposed to a smaller item?

#36 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 07:41 AM

George, I use golf cart batteries for my tank so can't say about chargers too much. First time I tried charger, all I had was an automatic one that read the charge in the battery and would drop charge rate automaticly. I went to batteries, because I had some setting there, and second, so I could vary the voltage. I found that if I put the battery charger on a large 12 volt battery, and then run wires to tank, the charger would go ahead and run at a good rate. The charge going to the tank would fool the charger into charging at it's normal rate. I have 12, 24, and 36 volt chargers, but have never used over 24 volt. Another thing you might notice is if part has some good paint on it, the paint usually willnot fall off in tank, but will scrape off easily once it is out of tank. And, like I said before, make sure electrodes are not coated over and insulate themselves from solution.

Just a coupla things I noticed, George.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#37 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 08:12 AM

When I get home from work tonight we are going to shut it down and pull the rebar cage out and clean up the rebar with the grinder. It will also give us a chance to check the parts out a little better and see how they are coming along. I should probably only have the hood in there by itself since it is such a large piece but I was able to fit both of them in there so I went with that. I am going to try and see about getting another charger or a higher voltage and amperage charger.

Both of the chargers that we have tried so far state that they charge at 10 amps and both have shown fully pegged on their gauges that they were charging at full load.

#38 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 06:54 PM

Alright guys, we have come to the conclusion that our chargers are not cutting it for the big tank. We setup a smaller maybe 15 gallon tank in a plastic tote we had in the garage, I brought some more rebar home from work and welded the cage up. We put one of the step plates in the tank and hooked the charger up to it. OMG what a difference. It is almost like it is boiling off of the part compared to the small bubbling action on the big tank.

Here is the question, which size charger should we go with? Should we mainly worry about having one that will do 40 amps continuous at 12v as being sufficient or should we go for one that will do 24v at 40 or 60 amps continuous?

I don't think it has anything to do with the rebar being insulated yet, I think it is mainly because of the shear size of the 250 gallon tank that is causing it to be really slow. It is working though but I would probably have to have the parts in it for at least a week. We did pull the one piece out tonight and you can scrape some of the paint off but it would be tough getting in the nooks and crannies with the paint still being stuck on as much as it is.

The step plate we put in the small tank, you can almost watch the paint being peeled away and it is steaming :D

#39 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 07:05 PM

Try your welder if it is DC. Set it on 30 amps & see what it will do. I hooked my welder to mine & man did it work quick! My welder is quite large & pulls some AC, so I opted for my battery charger as it did fine with my barrel. The further the part from the anodes, the more power it takes. A welder puts out cleaner DC power than most battery chargers. AC welders will not work!

#40 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 07:43 PM

George, exactly why I use a 20 gal tank. It doesn't take a whole lot of chemical, power, or time. The tank you are using is almost industrial size, {read expensive]. I use my batteries because of good clean DC. I use 20 gal barrell so electrodes are close to target. I dont do any very large peices, so issue of size has never come up.

.02 cents, George

#41 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 07:47 PM

But I can't fit the hood, frame and the fenders in a 20 gallon barrel otherwise I would go that route.

#42 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 10:39 PM

George, What I have gathered from info about other types of electrolysis that I have read is that the larger the volume of electrolyte in the tank, the more current is required to do the same amount of work. the technical term is "current density". The voltage isn't as important in this type of electrolysis as it is in say electroplating, so either 12 or 24 would be fine, but more current is what you'll need to make the big tank work faster. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#43 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 11:09 PM

I went out and checked on the tank this morning. We switched the charger that we were using last night and it seemed to make a difference in the amount of bubbling action. I do think though we might have to use more current or a bigger charger. Not much has changed in the parts as of this morning.

Anyone know if hooking two chargers up will have any ill effects?

Here is a short video I made yesterday of the bubbling. I do have to say though since we upped the amount of soda in the mixture the foam and stuff floating at the top of the tank has seemed to have dropped to the bottom of the tank which is what I would have expected all along.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOYrgmOEL_w

that bubble at the end of the video was pricelees !!!

#44 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,297 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 11:29 PM

that bubble at the end of the video was pricelees !!!

If you have the volume all the way up, you can hear the hood say "Excuse Me".

#45 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 18, 2011 - 05:23 AM

If you have the volume all the way up, you can hear the hood say "Excuse Me".

:bigrofl::bigrofl: