Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

My electrolysis tank setup for the garden tractors.

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#16 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 08:21 PM

When we went to the grocery store I picked up 4 boxes of washing soda which was $2.59 for 3 lbs. Then we went over and I seen baking soda and it was $2.49 and it was 4 lbs per box. I put the washing soda back on the shelf and got two boxes of the baking soda which was a mistake. We didn't use it and luckily we had some sodium carbonate ph + for the pool and used the dosage prescribed by DH1. I am taking the baking soda back and will get more ph+ for later use.

That is what I get for trying to be cheap and not realizing they are not the same thing LOL

The only reason I bought the PH+ was because I couldn't find washing soda anywhere.

#17 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 08:27 PM

Well it is definitely working. Just went out to check it and make sure everything was still where we left it and nothing exploded LOL and there is a bunch of crud and orange paint already floating :thumbs:

Can't wait to see what it looks like tomorrow.

#18 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 09:27 PM

That's quite a cooker you have going there George! It will be interesting to see your results.

#19 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 09:30 PM

George, it looks like a nice tank. I've tried it on the 5 gal bucket size with mixed emotions. I'm sure patience plays a BIG part. I want to throw something out here and the only reason I thought of it was because I was just reading the cast iron welding thread. You stated that you use stainless wire in the mig and stainless in the electrolysis isn't good. I realize the welds aren't much but how much is too much? Just wondering??? Be careful, somebody has to run this site!!

Glad to know somebody is checking on us. I don't think George gave you a reply yet but we did check the wire in the welder and it is not stainless. So we have one less thing to worry about. Thank you for catching a possible problem.

#20 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 12:47 AM

Dangit make my redneck 5 gal bucket look crazy, Hey it works

#21 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 06:34 AM

That's a great setup! A tank that size will sure be useful.

:ditto::ditto:

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 08:24 AM

:wewantpics::picsoritsnotyours::wewantpics:

#23 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 08:32 AM

I checked on it a couple times through the night. I just went out this morning and it looks like a big bubbling goo orange froth LOL.

I was hoping all of the junk would have sunk to the bottom, I guess I will skim the top to remove some of the junk. I will turn it off first though LOL.

I am going to go back out again here in a little and I will take some pics :D

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 08:58 AM

Here's an interesting article about the hydrogen gas made from a similar home brew process, but in very small scale compared to our de-rust tanks. I'd say to always have good ventilation to ensure no buildup of hydrogen inside a building. As always, better safe than very sorry.
Homemade hydrogen

#25 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,300 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 09:31 AM

Several years ago, I built a small unit to separate the "H" from the "O" in an attempt to increase gas mileage on the family gas hog. Using a booster pack (12v) and misc stuff in the house, (one of those 100 DVD spindles as the container) I was making quite a bit of gas. As soon as it was on, I was playing with the lighter & getting little poofs. Then I couldn't get it to light for a few tries.

IDK what happened, but on the 4th or 5th time, the lid of the container went up, smacked my hand, went past my face like a bullet, whacked the ceiling & ricocheted to land at my wifes feet. Ears ringing, hand smarting from the impact, I looked at my wife and she was NOT happy. Did I mention I was playing in the Kitchen sink?

Science class was over for the day.

Be careful guys, don't want to read about you in the paper. Or see you nominated for a Darwin Award.

#26 murphy OFFLINE  

murphy

• Member No: 420
  • 2 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 01:14 PM

Several years ago, I built a small unit to separate the "H" from the "O" in an attempt to increase gas mileage on the family gas hog. Using a booster pack (12v) and misc stuff in the house, (one of those 100 DVD spindles as the container) I was making quite a bit of gas. As soon as it was on, I was playing with the lighter & getting little poofs. Then I couldn't get it to light for a few tries.

IDK what happened, but on the 4th or 5th time, the lid of the container went up, smacked my hand, went past my face like a bullet, whacked the ceiling & ricocheted to land at my wifes feet. Ears ringing, hand smarting from the impact, I looked at my wife and she was NOT happy. Did I mention I was playing in the Kitchen sink?

Science class was over for the day.

Be careful guys, don't want to read about you in the paper. Or see you nominated for a Darwin Award.

Ha Ha.... I love it! I guess Tim the Toolman and myself have competition!

#27 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 02:19 PM

Hmmm...if you could collect the hydrogen, you could use it or sell it. Too bad it takes up so much space.

#28 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 03:29 PM

grimes lakewh d160 018 (Small).jpg

Hey George, just wanted to show you my original test run on electrolysis. Plastic barrell, 4 3/8" rebars hooked up at 24v for about 4 hrs. I was very pleased with the results. All the small "granular " rust on the fins was either removed, or loosened, making the block buffing easy. It even cleaned behind the valve box. The more rebar you use, and higher voltages/currents you use, the more hydrogen or "Brown's Gas" you will produce, so be careful to shut down power, and ventilate the area. You have a nice big shop now, wouldn't want you to make it more expansive. LOL

Attached Thumbnails

• grimes lakewh d160 011 (Small).jpg
  • grimes lakewh d160 010 (Small).jpg

#29 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 04:31 PM

The tank is outside of the garage so we don't have to worry about fumes or gases. I took a little video of the bubbling action. We found out that we didn't put enough soda in the mixture so we went today and got some more and added to it. I think we might have to bump up the current or something though. I thought it would have progressed a little more then it has in 24 hours.

I will post some pics and the video here in a little bit.

#30 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 04:37 PM

Here are some pics that I took this morning before we added more soda to the mix.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0166.jpg
  • DSC_0165.jpg