Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

My electrolysis tank setup for the garden tractors.

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 12:02 PM

I started posting some of this in the thread I have going for my Case 448 tear down and rebuild thread which can be found here: http://gardentractor...re-thread-3967/

I figured I should post the electrolysis setup in it's own thread. Using Daniel's(olcowhand) article Garden Tractor Talk - Removing Rust with Electrolysis as a guide I had brought home a 250 tank from work a couple of months ago but never got around to setting anything up.

Fast forward to this past week, we brought the tank in to the garage and cut the top off. Then I got measurements for the rebar I would need and we also cleaned the inside of the tank out.

I took the measurements in to work so our rebar shop could cut the pieces to size and bend the ties for me. I wanted at least 8 vertical rods and then 3 ties to make a cage that could be lowered in to the tank after building the cage.

I ended up getting 8pcs of #6 rebar which is 3/4" diameter at 3' lengths for the vertical rods and then 3 pcs of #4 ties which are 1/2" diameter. We just got done welding up the cage and lowered it into the tank. I set the hood from the Case 448 in the tank also just to give a size comparison.

I don't think the tank is big enough to do the whole frame all at once but it might be close. We are going to be going to the store to get the washing soda for the solution and I also need to get a new pressure washer hose. I will update this thread with my results from using the electrolysis method.

I want to thank Daniel for writing up his great article which makes it a nice alternative to sandblasting. Especially in the cold weather.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0166.jpg
  • DSC_0165.jpg
  • DSC_0169.jpg
  • DSC_0168.jpg
  • DSC_0166.jpg
  • DSC_0165.jpg
  • DSC_0167.jpg
  • DSC_0170.jpg

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 12:18 PM

Id say that's the cats xxx nice and big and long pieces just do 1/2 at a time. Good stuff.
I used PH+ the stuff you put in swimming pools to raise PH levels, sodium carbonate, for me it was the cheapest most available stuff to use.
I used 2kg little less than 1/2 pound for 50 us gal drum.

Correction should be 4.4lbs for 5o us gal drum.
2kg = 4.4lbs

Edited by DH1, January 16, 2011 - 08:51 AM.
correction

#3 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 12:37 PM

That's a great setup! A tank that size will sure be useful.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 12:42 PM

George, I love that tank setup! With all the anodes, it should give superb results with hardly any spot not having "line of sight" between part & anode. Look forward to your results!

#5 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 12:58 PM

Another thing on my list of things to try.

We used to remove silver from photographic chemicals the same way, or actually the opposite way, since you wanted the silver to come out of solution and stick to the anode. Great process.

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 01:21 PM

I guess we will find out how well it works. I am getting ready to leave now to go get the washing soda and will filler her up with water and get the soda added and start cooking a part. I think the hood might go first. LOL

#7 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,699 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 01:23 PM

That's a great setup! A tank that size will sure be useful.

:ditto:

Nice setup

#8 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 02:29 PM

George, it looks like a nice tank. I've tried it on the 5 gal bucket size with mixed emotions. I'm sure patience plays a BIG part. I want to throw something out here and the only reason I thought of it was because I was just reading the cast iron welding thread. You stated that you use stainless wire in the mig and stainless in the electrolysis isn't good. I realize the welds aren't much but how much is too much? Just wondering??? Be careful, somebody has to run this site!!
  • dryrun said thank you

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 03:05 PM

George,

Great set up, it looks great. I want to know how it works for you.
Is that a tank tote, If so is it 3x3 or 4x4. I have a 4'x4'x4' tank tote that I am going to make one out of.

Brian

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 03:08 PM

Great looking set up George. Good luck.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 03:13 PM

George, it looks like a nice tank. I've tried it on the 5 gal bucket size with mixed emotions. I'm sure patience plays a BIG part. I want to throw something out here and the only reason I thought of it was because I was just reading the cast iron welding thread. You stated that you use stainless wire in the mig and stainless in the electrolysis isn't good. I realize the welds aren't much but how much is too much? Just wondering??? Be careful, somebody has to run this site!!

That is a good point that I overlooked. I am going to check the spool of wire that is in the welder now to be sure. I don't know what wire I had in there. Hopefully it isn't enough to really cause any problems if it is stainless wire.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 03:15 PM

Just a bit of stainless weld would not be dangerous. Not to worry.

#13 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 04:22 PM

That is way too professional looking! Nice job.

#14 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,075 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 05:28 PM

Did I miss something???? Your saying that its too cold to sandbast yet its going to be OK to use this tank.From what I have read this tank has to be outside due to the fumes it gives off.Won't it freeze if you have below freezing weather.Larry

#15 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 06:48 PM

Did I miss something???? Your saying that its too cold to sandbast yet its going to be OK to use this tank.From what I have read this tank has to be outside due to the fumes it gives off.Won't it freeze if you have below freezing weather.Larry

You do have a good point Larry. With that being said though I am hoping that the electrolysis keeps the water warm enough to keep the water from freezing. It is going to be a trial an error. We are also debating putting some heat tape on the tank. I have plenty of parts to keep it fed for a while so if the electrolysis is able to keep the water from freezing then we are all set. If not we will add heat tape to the tank and then once all the parts are done we will turn the heat tape off and drain the tank.

At least with the tank I don't have to stand outside the whole time in the cold :poke:

We have the first couple of parts cooking now. I have the hood and another plate in there now. At first I was getting worried that nothing was happening and then slowly the charger started to show it was charging more and the bubbles started coming up. I also can't believe how fast a bunch of crud was already floating in the water.

When we went to the grocery store I picked up 4 boxes of washing soda which was $2.59 for 3 lbs. Then we went over and I seen baking soda and it was $2.49 and it was 4 lbs per box. I put the washing soda back on the shelf and got two boxes of the baking soda which was a mistake. We didn't use it and luckily we had some sodium carbonate ph + for the pool and used the dosage prescribed by DH1. I am taking the baking soda back and will get more ph+ for later use.

That is what I get for trying to be cheap and not realizing they are not the same thing LOL