• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 10:02 AM

Larry, is it possible you got some water in the gas? It's amazing how a little water on the impeller will cause stuff to not spin and with the temps you're talking about, it's all frozen. If you can get by without it until the first day it's over freezing in the tank?
If it ends up being the pump, at least the fuel will be 33F while you're handling it, not -33F:D

2 other things to look at:
Just because the relay is clicking, doesn't mean it's making contact.
Is you gas gauge working right? If not, you could be dealing with a bad ground.

#18 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 01:43 PM

Larry, is it possible you got some water in the gas? It's amazing how a little water on the impeller will cause stuff to not spin and with the temps you're talking about, it's all frozen. If you can get by without it until the first day it's over freezing in the tank?
If it ends up being the pump, at least the fuel will be 33F while you're handling it, not -33F:D

2 other things to look at:
Just because the relay is clicking, doesn't mean it's making contact.
Is you gas gauge working right? If not, you could be dealing with a bad ground.

I had been wondering about the water thing myself but have ruled it out as we've had freezing temps here for the last couple months.The other thing was I filled the car a little better then a week ago and now its just under 3/4 so I have been using it all that time and it's ran fine. Another thing is that its been acting up off and on for a year now,it would die for no reason every now and then,all I had to do was put it in neutral hit the key and it was back running.I've had it in to have it checked out and everything checked out fine.I've worked on vehicles for yrs so I know what its like to try and figure out a intermitent problem.Once its dies completely then its easy.I've done all kinds of checks now and have it narrowed down to the fuel pump.I've even applied power direct to the pump and its a no run.You have to realize that this is a older car it's a 1991,It was given to me by my Dad 5 yrs ago once he realized he wasn't going to drive anymore[Alzimers] so its sort of a sentimental thing with me,to keep it running as there's only 110,000 klms on it.Thanks for the above advice.Larry

#19 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 03:24 PM

Larry, sounds just like two different Cherokee's I've owned, just before the pump goes completely. Sporadic stalling/dying. Sometimes hard to startup cold. I replaced the pump in both vehicles & problem gone. Hope yours is cheaper. Over $300 for one of mine.