#1 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 11:20 AM

I have two licenced and insured vehicles sitting at home and neither will start.The wife left for town to take the little guy to bowling with her car ,it started even without being plugged in.Sure it was in the garage [un insulated]but so is mine.I know its -29c or -20f but its not quite that cold in the garage.As you guessed mine was a no start.I have it plugged in for 1 1/2 hrs but still no go [probably flooded it now] Guess I'd better leave it for another hr and see what happens.The wife will be home by then and I guess I'll use hers if mine won't start.:laughingteeth: My truck was a no start yesterday as the battery is done. Thats what Iwas going to do today was take it in for warrenty as its only 2 yrs old and has been giving me problems for awhile now.Of course I was going to a different town otherwise I'd have just gone with them.The joys of the cold.Larry

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 11:28 AM

Wow Larry,

Sorry your morning went so bad.:wallbanging: Maybe it will start in a little while.

#3 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, even the dogs don't want to start this morning, Massey Driver. I noticed the neighbour got his sled started at 8:30 this morning though.

Me? I'm staying inside today. There is no reason for me to go outside. Okay, there are plenty of reasons, but none of them are important enough that I can't put them off.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,301 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 12:00 PM

Almost up to freezing in balmy PA!

#5 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 12:43 PM

Hope your luck changes and things will start for you Larry. I think some of your cold weather is forecast to push down this way next week.

#6 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 01:04 PM

Almost up to freezing in balmy PA!

We call that "Run Around Naked Weather" up here this time of year.

Oh well, won't be long until we're complaining that it's too hot.

#7 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,698 Thanks
  • 17,206 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 01:28 PM

Wow ,you are in some REALLY COLD temperatures :o

Hope it warms up soon

#8 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 634 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 02:16 PM

We call that "Run Around Naked Weather" up here this time of year.

Oh well, won't be long until we're complaining that it's too hot.

And....mosquitoes as big as Thanksgiving turkeys.......cant wait....lol

#9 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 02:19 PM

Nope, really cold weather is when it doesn't get above -30 for days on end and dips to below -40 at night. Back in 1998 or 1999 we had weeks (I think it was six weeks) of that. One day we were out trying to get my friend's car started and when we came in to warm up they said it was -72 with the wind-chill.

#10 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 02:21 PM

And....mosquitoes as big as Thanksgiving turkeys.......cant wait....lol

I don't mind the mosquitoes too much...DEET doesn't cost that much.

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 03:00 PM

Coldest we've ever had was -22F, and NOT one thing would start except Dad's old 78 Chevy 3/4 ton. Back then we had upright silo's, so feeding silage didn't require a tractor, but we had to grind feed. None of our tractors had block heaters back then, so dad pulled me 2 miles down the road against a 25mph wind. I almost passed out from the cold getting past my towel tucked around my motorcycle helmet & blowing on my right temple. We DID finally get her cranked, & filled the bin FULL of ground corn. That kind of cold sure does test a person for sure. Hang in there Larry....it'll warm sooner or later!

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 03:02 PM

Sorry to hear about your battery problems. I swapped mine last month as it was at it's end. -20 f is tough. It's 20f here.

Six weeks of minus anything would be really hard to deal with. Wow.

#13 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 04:27 PM

Coldest we've ever had was -22F, and NOT one thing would start except Dad's old 78 Chevy 3/4 ton. Back then we had upright silo's, so feeding silage didn't require a tractor, but we had to grind feed. None of our tractors had block heaters back then, so dad pulled me 2 miles down the road against a 25mph wind. I almost passed out from the cold getting past my towel tucked around my motorcycle helmet & blowing on my right temple. We DID finally get her cranked, & filled the bin FULL of ground corn. That kind of cold sure does test a person for sure. Hang in there Larry....it'll warm sooner or later!

That's really an example of you just not being prepared for the weather. Why would you be, since it hardly ever happens? Those of us who spend time outdoors in the winter here tend to have the proper clothing. I haven't seen a car, truck, or tractor without a block heater since my Triumph Spitfire, and that just sat in the garage in the winter.

Batteries are always a problem though. They've gotten a lot better over the years, but the cold still pounds them and they might seem fine in warm weather, but when the cold hits they tend to fail. I'm not sure when the last time I bought a battery without getting some kind of pro-rating discount was.

I remember making chop with a hammer mill when I was a kid though. I'm not sure what happens with corn, but with wheat the grain seemed to crush a lot better when it was cold out.

#14 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,073 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 05:17 PM

Well after the wife got home I used her car to take the battery in.They tested it and sure enough no good so they gave me another one.I didn'y have to pay anything as it's a 108 mth warrenty with 3 yrs free replacement.It was only 24 mths old.Came home put it into the truck turned the key and away it went.So the truck is back up and running.It wasn;t to bad to do it was sheltered and the sun was out.I didn't even have to run in the shop to warm up the fingers.I moved the truck close to the garage so that I can plug in if need be. I tried the car again and its a no go.I pulled one plug check for spark[it's got spark] next check to see if any fuel [no fuel] I checked the fuel pump fuse [its good] and can hear the relay clicking but can't hear the fuel pump.I was done by then my feet were too cold to stay out any longer.I came inside looked into my service manual and have gotten a few ideas to check tommoro to make sure that the pump is indeed done for.I haven't decided what to do yet in the way of changing the pump.Off course the tank is 3/4 so it's gonna need to be pumped out before even thinking about dropping the tank to change the pump. I'll probably take it to a guy I know as he's got a hoist etc" and my back and neck bug me so much that I just can't see myself suffering doing that job.I hate paying for stuff like that by if I want to drive it guess I'll have to pay.LOL Larry

#15 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 05:35 PM

Good to hear you got one vehicle going and that it was a relatively simple fix. I know what you mean about the back and neck "bugging" you.
I have to pay for a lot of repairs that I used to do myself because of that.
I guess when you look at the overall picture major car repairs are fewer than they were years ago, but those fuel pumps being inside the fuel tank are a real pain compared to switching one mounted on the side of an engine block.