Garden Tractor Forums banner

Bolens 850 Rear Axle Question

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Bolens 1000 
#1 ·
In a nutshell, I have a very nice 850 with a broken right axle. Looks like it broke around a hole that was drilled toward the center. Anyhow, I have several 1050's and one more 850. My spare 850 is pretty crappy looking and so is the rear end. I have never dissembled one of these transaxles. Would it be feasible to switch out the good axle from my crappy rear end to replace the broken axle in my nice rear end? Are there any variations in the 850 rears or should they be the same? Also, is a 1050 rear end the same axles? I have time to fool with it, I am just stuck on whether switch axles or complete rear end.

Thanks in advance

Tim

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The 850 and 1050 rear ends are not the same. The 1050 rear end has a hi lo in the trans and I think the case is a little beefier too. I'm not sure if the axels are the same though.

#7 ·
This makes about 4 850 tractors that have had a broken axle in that same spot in the last couple years.

Strange....
Broken axles are one of the consequences that result when the rear-axle end play is neglected, but that is not the only cause.

When you think about it, the weakest part of the axle is where the hole is drilled through it, so that is where it usually breaks.

The differential lock is only meant to be used when traction loss occurs. ....Driving & turning a lot with the differential lock constantly engaged puts a lot of stress on the axle.

#9 ·
Broken axles are one of the consequences that result when the rear-axle end play is neglected, but that is not the only cause.

When you think about it, the weakest part of the axle is where the hole is drilled through it, so that is where it usually breaks.

The differential lock is only meant to be used when traction loss occurs. ....Driving & turning a lot with the differential lock constantly engaged puts a lot of stress on the axle.
I never thought of that but it makes perfect sense!

I would say 8 out of 10 people do not adjust or maintain the axle end play when they get a tractor. Like you mentioned people think they can drive with the differential constantly engaged, I cant tell you haow many tractors I have seen where the nut was wrenched all the way in :wallbanging:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.