Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Wheel weight mounting dilemma... Thinking need wheel centers..

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 11:16 PM

Ok, I bought a pair of 12x8.5 wheels for my GT that look more like trailer wheels but will do the job just fine, but now I have acquired wheel weights (Scrap yard Bolens thread) and have a dilemma in how to mount them. I am going to replace the wheel bolts in the hubs for studs to accommodate wheel spacers but my wheel weights are not "stepped" so nothing will catch the outside bead of the rim. but worse, the center hole is only about 4 inches diameter so they will interfere with the studs. My wheels will be mounted with the dish inward, so I need to create a wheel weight mounting plate to make this work... My problem is that I had a brilliant idea, use disk brake rotors, smallest diameter is 10 inch (10.75 OD) and are too big to fit... dang. Now, plan B is I use wheel centers out of junk GT wheels to mount my weights, but I don't have any junk GT rims.... believe it or not... can any1 help me out?

#2 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 09:57 AM

Casey, could you post some pictures of your rims and weights you are trying to mount up? If we could see what you are up against maybe we could come up with some ideas to help you out.

#3 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 03:39 PM

Casey, could you post some pictures of your rims and weights you are trying to mount up? If we could see what you are up against maybe we could come up with some ideas to help you out.

Here ya go, the wheel and the wheel weight, the sides we care about.

cw1.jpg Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• cww2.jpg
  • cww1.jpg

#4 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 180 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 04:30 PM

Could ou take ridged wall pipe cut long enough to go thru holes. cut 1/8" steel. Drill hole mount on one end of pipe. Then drill hole in another square of steel plating,slide over other end of pipe and weld. Bolt to rim using bolts that fit thru center of pipe.

#5 thirdroc17 OFFLINE  

thirdroc17

• Member No: 1805
  • 36 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 07:24 PM

I don't see any bolt holes in the wheels which align with the mounting holes in the weights. The switching from bolts to studs in the hub wouldn't have any bearing on the mounting of the weights as they use the different hole locations. Are you sure it wouldn't be cheaper and easier to simply get the correct garden tractor type wheels?

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 08:07 PM

I don't see any bolt holes in the wheels which align with the mounting holes in the weights. The switching from bolts to studs in the hub wouldn't have any bearing on the mounting of the weights as they use the different hole locations. Are you sure it wouldn't be cheaper and easier to simply get the correct garden tractor type wheels?

I can use strut to span the holes in the wheel to allow for mounting the weights, but I am switching to studs to use wheel spacers. The problem is the center of the weight interferes with the studs... I don't know right now, but if I had a pair of junk GT wheels I can just cut the centers out to just bolt them on the studs to allow the use of the weights easily.

#7 101 senior OFFLINE  

101 senior

• Member No: 1393
  • 180 Thanks
  • 327 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 08:54 PM

If you line up the 4 holes in the weights w/ the rims is it possible to drill 4 holes in the rims? And would that look good? Dont know.

#8 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 09:03 PM

If you mount them with the dish outward do they fit, you can always use a spacer in between the rim and weight.

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 09:11 PM

Casey,
If you have a welder and torch, I would make 4 tabs out of 1/4 to3/8" mild steel plate and weld them inside the wheel a couple inches, then you could bolt the weights to the tabs, leaving room the wheel studs.
I think this would work for you and not cost much, but fab time.
Brian
  • wvbuzzmaster said thank you

#10 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 16, 2011 - 09:18 PM

Casey,
If you have a welder and torch, I would make 4 tabs out of 1/4 to3/8" mild steel plate and weld them inside the wheel a couple inches, then you could bolt the weights to the tabs, leaving room the wheel studs.
I think this would work for you and not cost much, but fab time.
Brian

I wish I could give this more than one thank cause its perfect, I just gotta weld in the right spot the right angle irons. :)

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 01:40 AM

Alright everyone, I went outside and examined this a little closer. I have to say one thing, I got this all rong.... By the time I weld in the tabs in the wheels and modify the tractors hubs to accept the wheels it means my best tires will be pretty much committed to that tractor and I'm not sure that's the right thing because I may put them on the 222 in the future and it would look better with GT rims. Plus in using a real GT wheel I no longer will have to modify wheels or hubs and end up with time and money in that, I can also use the wheels I bought (the picture) to mount up some 25x10-12 ATV tires a friend gave me and use them with no mods on the 222 to increase traction. Next, I might just put the best tires back on the shelf til I can find the right wheels, and use for now the good 23x8.50-12 ags that came on the Bolens g10 as well as the 63 pound weights on the Caterpillar (Craftsman GT18). Now, I still have the washer fluid so I may have to store that for a while. The other plus is that I will be able to use my 10 inch moldboard behind the Caterpillar without the tire coming up out of the furrow by using 8.50 tires. This is complicated!!! Oh, and in the 8.50's arent loaded then I might just do it with the washer fluid, I know I definitely saw the valve stem pulled in on the one side (that means tube) so they could be loaded if they aren't already! Does anyone think I'm crazy???

#12 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,610 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 02:18 AM

[buzz-quote] Does anyone think I'm crazy???

I've wondered for some time now. :itsok:

#13 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 06:37 AM

[buzz-quote] Does anyone think I'm crazy???

I've wondered for some time now. :itsok:

Just as long as you keep wondering, I'm safe LOL

#14 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 07:33 AM

Not crazy... just interestingly devoted to your hobby like the rest of us!! :smilewink:

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted January 17, 2011 - 07:49 AM

Buzz, I think you're wise to take a step back. Match the tires to the right unit & wait for the right plow to come along.