• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DrBob762 OFFLINE  

DrBob762
  • Member No: 54859
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 24, 2014 - 04:12 AM

looking for  info on how to properly adjust the turning plow on my sears SS16.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted March 24, 2014 - 05:28 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !!   There are quite a few members with Sears tractors that I'm sure will have good info for you

• DrBob762 said thank you

#3 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 24, 2014 - 06:47 AM

Welcome Drbob  I can't help you with your plow, but I just had to say HI.  Like Alc said some of the Sears guys with happily help you with your plow adjustment.  There are free manuals here on the forum if that will help you. Good Luck

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted March 24, 2014 - 07:00 AM

:welcometogttalk:

Have you tried plowing with it yet? If so, what problems?

Best coarse setup is to: park tractor on flat ground, put both LH tires on 5" blocking, adjust plow so the point touches and there is a 1/2" gap under the tail. As for left-right, I usually tip mine at a couple degrees to the right of plumb on the main beam ( supposed to be straight, but I find it better sight tipped). Just don't go much.

From there, the adjustments depend on the dirt. Tell us what it's doing, we can possibly help.

Oh, and the 3 point arms, if there is a lot of slop, you will need to hold it over to the right. They made bars for this, but most guys use chains now. If it seems to be taking to wide a swath, we can explain more.
  • robert_p43, propane1 and DrBob762 have said thanks

#5 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 24, 2014 - 07:03 AM

Welcome
  • Gabriel and DrBob762 have said thanks

#6 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 24, 2014 - 07:04 AM

Welcome Drbob  I can't help you with your plow, but I just had to say HI.  Like Alc said some of the Sears guys with happily help you with your plow adjustment.  There are free manuals here on the forum if that will help you. Good Luck

#7 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted March 24, 2014 - 08:38 AM

Welcome!!!!

MH81 hit it pretty close.

The right side lift arm should be an adjustable one and it should adjusted be a little short than the left so that plow will have an angle on it when tractor is sitting level. When you are plowing and the right side tires are down in then furrow, plow will be straight up and down and should be almost perfectly 90* angle perpindicular to the ground. The plow point up/down is kind of a plow then adjust using your center link by screwing in/out, plow more, then adjust unitl you get the depth you desire.

Thankfully Sears 3 pt makes adjusting a plow pretty easy since due to design, the plow sits behind tractor in proper position. All you have to do is get the side to side angle then adjust how deep you want plow to go. I would suggest to just tip the point down slightly and plow a little. It should pull itself down int he ground then settle at about 4" or so. If not, then turn center link so it dig a little deeper. If it seems to bury itself and the tractor wants to wheelie, then back the point off so it won't dig so deep so quick.

I used to fight mine and have to always push on the lift angle until I leaned how to adjust properly. now, once I get it tuned it, I drop plow and it will pull itself down in and stay there with out any extra down force from me.

• MH81, robert_p43, propane1 and 1 other said thanks

#8 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted March 24, 2014 - 09:16 AM

Won't be long here before I will need to set-up my plow.  Good to read these refreshers.

• MH81, TAHOE and DrBob762 have said thanks

#9 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted March 27, 2014 - 09:39 PM

WELCOME!

#10 DrBob762 ONLINE  

DrBob762
  • Member No: 54859
  • 3 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 06:47 AM

thanks to all for the welcome. My tractor is a 1975 SS16 according to the #'s. Used it last year to plow up a new plot for potatoes,and fabricated a hiller unit from a set of salvaged disk blades and an old cultivator frame from anouther sears tractor(i have an in at the local salvage/scrap yard) and it worked out better than i had hoped. Biggest prob is a lack of ground clearance wont allow hilling up after the potatoes get verry tall. Any info regarding this tractor (917.25882) and/or plow (917.253020) greatly appricated. Also have 42" mower deck (917.253540) and rear scraper blade (917.251330).  Tractor is currently down due to bad coil unit, and the cost of the correct unit is prohibitive for me right now. Im working on a scheme to attempt to use an automotive, single output coil and fabricate a two into one plug wire setup to allow its use. Any ideas on this hack out there? If/when I develope a plan of attack I'll try and post some pic's of it. All input on this problem,and info on the outher implements mentioned eagerly accepted. Thanks agan to all....DrBob762.

#11 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted March 30, 2014 - 07:23 AM

Bob, sounds like a nice rig, do you have any pictures?
As for the bad CDI (spark), Do yourself a favor and go to Ed Stoller's site. He has done a lot of research on the problem and even has some fixes. Searching here for CDI should give you some leads on what other people have done also.