43 replies to this topic

#31 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 12:15 PM

?????????   on power grease guns...

Do they ever blow seals or pump to fast to control the amount....I a'm old school and hand pump.. I listen for the pop or oose and quit.

#32 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 04:00 PM

?????????   on power grease guns...

Do they ever blow seals or pump to fast to control the amount....I a'm old school and hand pump.. I listen for the pop or oose and quit.

Higher end ones have a preset feature to deliver only so much per trigger pull, and also 2 speeds, one for low volume/high pressure, another for higher volume/low pressure.  

• HDWildBill and sodisr have said thanks

#33 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 07, 2014 - 05:03 PM

I dont have anything to add but a funny story abbout an electric grease gun.

I was in High school automechanics and like good country style automechanics our shop was full of heavy equipment and government surplus. Our electric grease gun was military surplus, held 5 gallons of grease and ran off 3 12 volt batteries. When it worked it did great. I dont know if air got trapped in the pump or what but it could shoot out about a double fist size wad of grease that could travel about 40 feet and hit with a hard wet slap. It would not do it everytime you pulled the trigger. So if no one was looking, before you pulled the trigger you would aim it at somebody then give the trigger a little squeeze. SOmetimes you would cover somebody in grease. "D

The teacher was so cool about it, as long as he didnt see you actually doing it he didnt get on to you about it.

• olcowhand and sodisr have said thanks

#34 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 08, 2014 - 09:48 AM

Having greased several times with this Milwaukee grease gun, it's safe to say I am VERY happy with it!  High speed is great for filling large cavities, like hubs & the like, and the low speed has more pressure than any hand grease gun I've ever used.  Greased a lot of stuff & battery is still over half charged.  I give this gun 10 stars out of a possible 10!

• Alc, KennyP, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks

#35 stubbysteve OFFLINE  

stubbysteve

• Member No: 3443
  • 54 Thanks
  • 107 posts

Posted June 09, 2014 - 01:49 AM

I also have a lincolin. I havent touched my hand pump grease guns in over a year. I am still on the same battery.

• olcowhand and Alc have said thanks

#36 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 24, 2014 - 10:27 AM

Another great report on my Milwaukee grease gun.  I had the Cat 910 loader down at the shop moving a barrel of oil, and the main bucket lift arm has been squealing for months, but no way we could get grease in.  So while I was there, I figured it was time to tackle it.  3 of the 4 that wouldn't accept grease last time took it with the Milwaukee.  Took a few attempts, as they were frozen with old grease bad, even after removing the zerks & cleaning the hole best I could.  The last one was a tough one.  Dad had put in a new zerk on this one, but he got in cross threaded & wasn't sealing.  I chased the threads, then put another new zerk in.  After 4 times dead-heading the gun, it finally blew through & no more squeal!    :worshippy1:   Also, the articuklating joints are near impossible to get grease into, simply because of the tight tolerances.  Not a problem at all for the Milwaukee!   Finally something went right around here!  :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#37 cnsolutions OFFLINE  

cnsolutions
  • Member No: 68975
  • 5 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted April 09, 2015 - 06:28 PM

I would recommend the Snap On I have 2 of them and love them they take a beating

#38 Buddy OFFLINE  

Buddy
  • Member No: 45481
  • 149 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted April 18, 2015 - 07:13 AM

I have two battery operated Lincolns. Over the few years I have had them, they have pumped cases of grease with not a issue.

Now  that  all my batteries have gone south, I have gone back to my air operated gun , that too is a Lincoln.

I would like to go back to my battery guns but, I have not been able to find replacement batteries that would be cost affective to buy.

The replacement batteries I see out their cost as much as buying another grease gun with the two batteries and charger included..

Have the same problem with my favorite drill. Wife gave me a cordless Dewalt  drill a few years back. I used that thing for everything. Batteries went south so, I am back to the electric cord. Batteries are expensive.......I am also to tight to buy them. :D

#39 cnsolutions OFFLINE  

cnsolutions
  • 5 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 09:51 PM

I have two battery operated Lincolns. Over the few years I have had them, they have pumped cases of grease with not a issue.
Now  that  all my batteries have gone south, I have gone back to my air operated gun , that too is a Lincoln.
I would like to go back to my battery guns but, I have not been able to find replacement batteries that would be cost affective to buy.
The replacement batteries I see out their cost as much as buying another grease gun with the two batteries and charger included..
Have the same problem with my favorite drill. Wife gave me a cordless Dewalt  drill a few years back. I used that thing for everything. Batteries went south so, I am back to the electric cord. Batteries are expensive.......I am also to tight to buy them. :D

Do you have a batteries plus around you I have many batteries rebuilt there for pretty reasonable.
  • Buddy said thank you

#40 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted April 20, 2015 - 11:23 PM

Do you have a batteries plus around you I have many batteries rebuilt there for pretty reasonable.

How does it work at Batteries Plus? I have several dewalt batteries that are bad. I buy all 18v dewalt to keep my batteries the same. I have four drills because you can buy a new drill, charger and two batteries for not much more than a replacement battery costs. So I buy drills on sale just to get batteries.
  • Buddy said thank you

#41 Buddy OFFLINE  

Buddy
  • Member No: 45481
  • 149 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted April 21, 2015 - 06:10 AM

I don't know.

I will look into that . Thanks..

#42 cnsolutions OFFLINE  

cnsolutions
  • 5 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted April 22, 2015 - 01:18 PM

How does it work at Batteries Plus? I have several dewalt batteries that are bad. I buy all 18v dewalt to keep my batteries the same. I have four drills because you can buy a new drill, charger and two batteries for not much more than a replacement battery costs. So I buy drills on sale just to get batteries.

All you have to do is bring them in and they will rebuild it I also use the dewalt 18v stuff I have about 20 batteries and when i take a bunch in at a time the rebuild them for around 35 or 40 dollars.  Sometimes I wait for my supplier to put the batteries on sale they have a twin pack 18v XRP for $89.00.

• JBRamsey said thank you

#43 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,507 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 07:47 PM

I have air and battery operated guns.  The battery is DeWalt because I have several other 18V tools with the same battery.  The only problem I have ran into with both the air and battery operated is you don't know that grease is actually going through unless you pump it out the seals.  If you have a plugged zerk, the gun will cycle but no grease goes out.  From that stand point I don't trust any of them.  With a hand gun if the Zerk is plugged you will not pump the lever.  It will be solid and you will now you have a problem.  With the air or battery you will just let it cycle a couple times and move to the next zerk and leave that one  with a dry bearing.  Trust them if you want but I don't like replacing bearing that much any more.

#44 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,651 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted May 14, 2015 - 08:06 PM

My Milwaukee will stall out if the zerk is plugged.  And if there is an air lock, the sound definitely changes and I know no grease is going into the zerk.

• KennyP said thank you