• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 02:05 PM

Any of you guys have a rechargeable grease gun?  Thinking of getting one.  I just got through pumping my arm outta socket greasing tractors & equipment.  Thinking of either the Lincoln 18V, or the Milwaukee 18V (leaning to Milwaukee).  Both are pricey, at around $260 or so, but then not greasing things often enough costs waaay more than that.  I figure it would be a great return on investment, plus save pain in arthritic joints!

Any input appreciated.

#2 Littledeere OFFLINE  

Littledeere

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2778
  • 1,545 Thanks
  • 1,443 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 02:07 PM

We have a Lincoln at work and its do well so far

• olcowhand said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 02:21 PM

The Milwaukee is a 2 speed for higher pressure when needed.  That's why I'm leaning to it.

#4 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 02:22 PM

Air powered grease gun. ???

Not sure the proper name but it holds a 5 gal pail of grease, trigger operated hand gun and a length of hose between them.

Fast, easy and powerful, at least the one I used was.

http://www.vertextoo...rease-pump.html

Edited by DH1, March 23, 2014 - 02:25 PM.

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 02:27 PM

We use the Lincolns at work, but they are the 2 speed ones. The battrys go bad after a yr, but then again we use the heck out of them. I also have an air powered one that takes the single tubes. Got it off the snap-on truck, was half the price of the Lincoln and works real good. I can used it with an airpig if I need to for several shots, before the air drop to much.

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 02:29 PM

Air powered grease gun. ??? 

I'm speaking of cordless rechargeable like these below.  I also like how the Milwaukee has "feet" to keep it upright.  Dewalt also has one with feet.

lincoln.jpg greaser.JPG dewalt grease.jpg

#7 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,647 Thanks
  • 1,333 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 02:29 PM

Everyone I know uses a Lincoln. All the times I have used one I have nothing bad to say about it.

#8 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 02:33 PM

I'm speaking of cordless rechargeable like these below.  I also like how the Milwaukee has "feet" to keep it upright.  Dewalt also has one with feet.

I know what you mean I just thought that if you can get a air line to where your working, air might be better, but if it's in the middle of a corn field then it's not going to work.

#9 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 02:36 PM

I know what you mean I just thought that if you can get a air line to where your working, air might be better, but if it's in the middle of a corn field then it's not going to work.

Oh, sorry bout that.  A lot of our equipment doesn't even fit inside the shop, and usually most greasing is done outside the shop area where air isn't available.  

• DH1 said thank you

#10 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 03:11 PM

Daniel, I have had the Lincolns;2-12 volters... nice but as said before battery's crapped
in a year. We used some from northern tool; about the same battery life, hose was junk but
a lot cheaper. If you go Dewalt or milwakee you can get cordless impacts,drills,grinders and
so on. I would say go with one of the two, upgrade your cordless drills etc. that way your charging
common battery instead of having another transformer (charger)to add to the electric bill.
Not to mention where to plug it in.I think Dewalt used to make a step up transformer 12 vdc to 18vdc
to charge battery's in your vehicle. Shawn

#11 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 03:34 PM

Shawn's point is excellent about getting tools that match each other.  It will save shelf space, too, instead of devoting a shelf to 105 different charges. 

I personally like Lincoln, 1/2 because my workplace sells them, and 1/2 because they make a great grease gun.  It is 18v, two speed.  It goes through WWIII where I work.  We are down to one battery because one battery was run over by a skidsteer loader and lost the fight.  That one battery has lasted for almost two years now by itself, worked till it goes flat, charged overnight, and worked till it dies. 

Ben W.

• tractorgarden said thank you

#12 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 04:02 PM

Would go with the Lincoln too.  Have a few friends that have them and swear they are the best thing since sliced bread.  Been planning on getting one myself, but can't justify it quite yet...don't have a whole lot of things that take alot of grease though.   But...now that this thread started...I might get one too.   Thanks for changing my mind!

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 04:46 PM

I have no experience with the grease guns but every Milwaukee cordless tool I've used in the last 5 years has been impressive.  They have a really nice battery system with a gas gauge deal on the battery where you can see how much charge is left. That is a really useful feature IME. 

#14 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,757 Thanks
  • 8,925 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 04:48 PM

Lincolns work well, the batteries will not take rough use, The seam of the battery will separate. This is not a fluke occurrence, it happens a lot.

The Milwaukee is much heavier, and lasts longer in colder temps. When warm out, it pumps about the same as the Lincoln, maybe a bit faster.

I have never handled or seen someone using a DeWalt. Lord knows I've been emailing them every year since the late 90's saying they should make one. I see the one you pictured is the new 20v system. Those (#@$%& could of made it with the old 18v system battery, I only have 5 tools that use that style. I'm sending another email. :wallbanging:

The Alemite 18V is a very good gun. Pumps faster than you need it to. Very durable. It is also the lightest and most compact of all of them.

I have burned through two Lincolns in the past ten years. I wouldn't recommend them, due to poor battery construction. But this no-name gun pictured below just keeps going and going. I hate it, it pumps too slow. Fine for the planter or a gt, but not an excavator that uses up a whole tube of grease every single day. But I still have the damn thing, it won't die.

100_0659-1.jpg

• olcowhand, IamSherwood, tractorgarden and 2 others have said thanks

#15 Traill95 OFFLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,577 Thanks
  • 920 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 06:07 PM

Any of you guys have a rechargeable grease gun?  Thinking of getting one.  I just got through pumping my arm outta socket greasing tractors & equipment.  Thinking of either the Lincoln 18V, or the Milwaukee 18V (leaning to Milwaukee).  Both are pricey, at around $260 or so, but then not greasing things often enough costs waaay more than that.  I figure it would be a great return on investment, plus save pain in arthritic joints!

Any input appreciated.

I do most of the greasing at the factory  where I work and I have 4 of these Lincoln 12 volt grease guns and they beat the daylights out of hand pumping. In the six years I have been using them I have only replaced 1 and that was a month ago. I have used up a couple of batteries though. I had my boss order them with 2 batteries so I have extra on hand still. I have never seen a battery split apart. The ones I have used up just won't charge up to full strength and that has only been two in the six years I have been using them.

Edited by Traill95, March 23, 2014 - 06:11 PM.

• olcowhand said thank you