• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Black River OFFLINE  

Black River
  • Member No: 30108
  • 8 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 01:37 AM

I'm running a Briggs 18hp opposed twin, model # 422707-1263-01, on my GT.  The other day it starts trying to die, running without much power, and oil and grey gunk seems to be coming from somewhere around  the air cleaner, leaking down the right side oif the engine.  I checked the tube running from the crankcase to the fuel pump, it looks fine.  It's been smoking just a little, but not a great amount.  From what I have read this could be a clogged crankcase breather.  Is there a way to clean these out or do I have to buy a new one?  Any other possible suggestions on what to check for this problem?

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,317 Thanks
  • 4,665 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 03:40 AM

Whoa..  Oil/gray gunk??  If it's leaking from the crankcase breather cover the hose may have a crack in it..  The grayness is most likely dirt from the engine block.  You can clean the breather but you will most likely need new gaskets..  Buy a new breather tube too as they get old & hard and brittle (then crack) with age..  JMO

• boyscout862 and superaben have said thanks

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 10:54 AM

Oily gray gunk says water in the oil to me.  How is the oil level? Poor running & smoke could also be unburnt gas from a stuck float valve.  Is there gas in the oil?  Does the carb leak gas when not running?  Could also be the gray gunk is getting sucked into the carb & messing with the fuel/air ratio.

Loss of power could also be one side died or a plugged air filter.  Stuck rings, or valves to a lesser degree, might pressurize the crankcase & blow foamy oil out the breather.  

Or maybe it just has rabies.  

• HDWildBill said thank you

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 12:01 PM

Gas in the oil was the first thing that I thought of as well.  Do like NCDBO says and let us know what you find.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#5 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 03:19 PM

I would also check for fuel in the oil, but for your question as to how to clean the breathers, I have removed mine and sprayed them with carb cleaner, the breathers have a thin Mylar check valve and they have a steel wool or something like scotch brite pad material for an internal filter. This is NOT replaceable. You will need new gaskets if you remove these. You didn't mention if you have a vertical or horozantal unit but the breathers / fuel in the oil issues would be the same. 

Attached Thumbnails

• P1090902.JPG
  • P1090903.JPG
  • P1090904.JPG
  • P1090905.JPG

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#6 Black River OFFLINE  

Black River
  • Member No: 30108
  • 8 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted March 24, 2014 - 12:25 PM

I finally got a chance to work on this today, here's what I found...the air filter is dry, the oil is leaking out where the exhaust connects to the block on the right side and dripping onto the engine.  I'm going to pull the exhaust and have a look at the head gasket on that side and see what I find.

#7 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 4,955 Thanks
  • 3,328 posts

Posted March 29, 2014 - 08:21 PM

This is my horizontal brigs, I need to rebuild the starter it grinds something terrible.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

is yours a vert or horz?