FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 02:23 PM

Thanks a million, I sent that e-mail a message, so we shall see!

#17 TUDOR OFFLINE  

TUDOR

Tractorholic

• Member No: 915
  • 543 Thanks
  • 497 posts

Posted January 19, 2011 - 03:24 AM

I know it's VERY close and hard to tell... but I sat here with a photo of my tractor with AG's and this one on another screen and I am pretty sure they are taller. If you compare them from the rim bead to the top of the tread, they really seem to have more "tire". Not only that, look at the huge clearance under the side step. This also leads me to think this tractor is lifted at the rear axle. That clearance is way more that stock. Going bu the rims in the front, those are 6" wheels in the front too... the same tires as Mikes conversion.

This is what has me baffeled! IF they were stock tires, the frame can not be lifted higher, because the space at the seat pan and fender still look stock. The only way to achieve the height, and stock lines would be a larger tire with a lifted axle (or frame to be accurate)

Here are my 23" tires
Posted Image

Now look at the tractor, look at the rim bead to where the tread lugs start. Both tires look very close, but the NF seems to have more sidewall on the tire. (We only need about 1.5" of sidewall for a 26" tire remember)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Check the front tire height against the grill in both pictures. The 6'" wheels have 13" tall tires and the 8" wheels have 16" tall tires. A difference of 3" in diameter, and there appears to be at least 3" from the top of the smaller tire to the same point that the larger tire reaches. The front end is sitting at or very close to stock height which would indicate that the rear tires are 23". If they were 26", then there would be a definite tilt forward for the tractor.

I expanded my sceen to 400% and scaled the rear tires and rims from bead seat to bead seat and bead seat to tread and came up with a tire diameter of 23-24". Even going by overall diameter and bead seat to bead seat at 250%, it still comes out to no more than 24", allowing for parallax error.

For a final check, I placed a straight edge along the bottom of the step in each picture. It hits the wheels in both pictures at the same place, right at the break from the mounting flange on the spyder, indicating no lift of the axle.

Edited by TUDOR, January 19, 2011 - 03:34 AM.
Additional info.

#18 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 20, 2011 - 08:35 AM

Thanks Bob!... Now I feel really guilty for not posting back that the owner got back to me and they are 23" tires. The fronts are the 3.50 x 6's too. He does not have a lift on the rear end, and the tri-pod is a custom built kinda like Tractormikes.

He answered my questions, but did not really give a lot of "extra" info, so I did not push. (Multi-paragraph e-mails replied with one quick sentence, kind of deal) But it did give me the info I needed, I might just be able to build this new chassis with the stock rear axle and tire set up! This means that I can keep my fender pan with the liner in it! I had planned to modify another seat pan with slightly damaged fenders and build lifted fenders like the farm tractor has.