Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 08:30 PM

Posted Image

Anyone know who owns this tractor, or anything about it? Soon I would like to start in on the spare frame and building the chassis for the narrow front 12. I have decided on the front wheels and I the next step is to start cutting the old axle mount off the parts frame. Anyway, I REALLY want to know more about this tractor.

What I want to find out is what is done at the rear... It appears to be running maybe 26" rear tires, but seems to have stock clearance at the side steps and the seat pan. I am thinking that this just may have a lift kit on the axle. I know I have seen it done on these axle, but I would LOVE to find out more. I found the photo on the net in someones flicker account ages ago.

PS: I am looking at these tires on the front. They seem expensive at Harbor Freight ($27.99) But the width and pattern is decent, and they come with rims. Plus, they are a foam rubber tire that is kind of a "run flat" idea.

This should be the tire...
http://www.harborfre...tire-96690.htmlPosted Image

The tread is not that deep though so I have not decided fully yet. I could still cut down another set of Massey wheels and run tri-ribs on them. I will have to see how my tri-ribs seem to fit the "look". Otherwise, I would need to find a set of 6" wheels that are narrow, or that could be cut down. (Hmmm.... I may have a set off a lawn tractor too!)

#2 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 08:33 PM

Tractormike has one like that i think.

#3 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 08:38 PM

OH.... and if it helps, there is a sign in the back ground that points to an Oliver club
The Oliver Gang. Collectors of Oliver Tractors and Farm Equipment

So this show may of been near Indiana?

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 08:41 PM

Yep, I know Mikes, but he went with 15" Caravan wheels... This tractor seems to have 12" wheels. To run the 15" wheels and tires, Mike also had to place a lift under his seat pan. I want to keep the seat pan on the frame. I am not fully sold on the 15" wheels either for myself. I flip flop on them a lot, but I just fully like the way this one sits. (Other than the cobbled steering drag link)

The other thing I noticed, is that the plate that the center pivot is attached to, is recessed about 1" into the frame to tuck it up a little higher. I may try to remove the cross braces (temp removal) and tuck the steering way up into the frame. This may require clearance via a hole when the brace is welded back in, but if I can tuck the pivot in higher and lower the total height of the front frame this way, the less I need to raise on the rear. Plus, it would clean up the steering linkage.

Edited by FirefyterEmt, January 14, 2011 - 08:50 PM.

#5 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 08:44 PM

That tractor isn't mine but it does look very nicely done! Here is a picture of the narrow front I built.

Posted Image

I have a write up about the build in the custom section under garden tractors by brand and an article on the front page. I use 6.70x15 rear ag tires which are about 27 inches high. I raise the seat pan up by 1 1/2 inches to clear the tires. the front tires are wheelbarrow rims with the center bearing tube shortened and I used 4.00 x 6 tri rib tires.

#6 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 08:54 PM

Is this yours Mike
a7089.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• a7088.jpg

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 09:07 PM

See here is the other odd thing... IF the tractor I posted had any sort of axle lift, then the design of the mount wants to push the axle forward, and slightly down. I am not sure if the downward angle is enough to overcome the forward push. With the 23" tires, the clearance at the "mud flap" behind the foot board is already close. Now I guess, you could move the mount forward and cut the running board down a little to fix that. The 26" tire is just 1.5" closer in the stock location. (Giver or take really crappy tire spec's)

Here is a photo I found lifting the axle via lift blocks on a JD.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is the design which I will follow for the front pivot. The tube is from a spare rear axle (which I have already) The rest of the parts will need to be hand made. Note the notch cut out on the axle tube for the steering arm.
Posted Image

Edited by FirefyterEmt, January 14, 2011 - 09:19 PM.

#8 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 09:11 PM

The picture you posted the rear tires look like stock size on stock rims, maybe 9.50s, that tractor looks like the front is higher (hard to tell from picture) where Mikes looks like it sits more level.

added if you zoom in on your picture there is a name Gary+Barb from.....

Edited by DH1, January 14, 2011 - 09:49 PM.

• FirefyterEmt said thank you

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 09:25 PM

I know it's VERY close and hard to tell... but I sat here with a photo of my tractor with AG's and this one on another screen and I am pretty sure they are taller. If you compare them from the rim bead to the top of the tread, they really seem to have more "tire". Not only that, look at the huge clearance under the side step. This also leads me to think this tractor is lifted at the rear axle. That clearance is way more that stock. Going bu the rims in the front, those are 6" wheels in the front too... the same tires as Mikes conversion.

This is what has me baffeled! IF they were stock tires, the frame can not be lifted higher, because the space at the seat pan and fender still look stock. The only way to achieve the height, and stock lines would be a larger tire with a lifted axle (or frame to be accurate)

Here are my 23" tires
Posted Image

Now look at the tractor, look at the rim bead to where the tread lugs start. Both tires look very close, but the NF seems to have more sidewall on the tire. (We only need about 1.5" of sidewall for a 26" tire remember)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Edited by FirefyterEmt, January 14, 2011 - 09:32 PM.

#10 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 09:33 PM

I am not sure what size tires he was using. Here is a picture of the 23x8.50x12 I used on the allisgator and then some 26x12x12 I used on my massey.
Posted Image http://www.gttalk.co...2x12-duals-jpg/

#11 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 09:39 PM

I don't know man I think that axle is in stock position, there are 24" 25" tires around. Here's factory stock tires both tractors.

masseys 009.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• masseys 011.jpg
  • masseys 012.jpg

#12 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 10:28 PM

Thanks on the zoom! I had not noticed that... I can kind of make out that the tractor may be owned by Gary & Barb "Bradferd" From New (K -something- le) Ohio. I am going to drop that info on LAGC's facebook page to see if I can get a hit too.

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 14, 2011 - 10:30 PM

The rear looks stock to me, and I'd say they are 23x8.50's....I know they are 23's.

#14 bobl OFFLINE  

bobl

• Contributor
  • Member No: 55
  • 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 07:59 AM

Looks to me like "New Knoxville" (a real place - I checked Google Maps)

Thanks on the zoom! I had not noticed that... I can kind of make out that the tractor may be owned by Gary & Barb "Bradferd" From New (K -something- le) Ohio. I am going to drop that info on LAGC's facebook page to see if I can get a hit too.

#15 bobl OFFLINE  

bobl

• Contributor
  • Member No: 55
  • 2 Thanks
  • 33 posts

Posted January 15, 2011 - 08:03 AM

I think I've found the guy - check this link: making a narrow front for an original - Only Cub Cadets

Looks to me like "New Knoxville" (a real place - I checked Google Maps)