• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 sdevine OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4489
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 09:49 AM

Thanks Dave, it will be great to see your DB and implements all done! I still need to redo my implements. JB, I think you are right. we try to force the machine to do something other than what it does, and we end up beat and frustrated. But what the DB does, it does well. DJ54, thanks for the video. It looks like you have found a happy medium- and it seems the trick is not to overload it with power or depth of cut. I guess it feels to me like it is doing nothing if I don't have it set for 6-8 inches deep or something. What I have done with the cultivator is to start at the top notch, makes a couple passes, drop it a notch, makes a couple more, etc. until it is all cultivated as deeply as I can go. I haven't had the nerve to use it once my little plants are coming up, but my garden is small, and I don't have long rows.

FYI, my grains are coming along, and the soft white wheat and the hard red what have put on grain heads already. Hopefully, a good harvest will come.

• Alc and Likesspace have said thanks

#47 DJ54 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8535
  • 75 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted December 02, 2014 - 01:49 PM

I prefer to just do battle with the weed seed in the top 2-3 inches of the dirt. As long as I break the crust, and kill the weeds when they are just in the button stage, hardly larger than the head on a straight pin, it's so much easier to keep up with. If you go any deeper, you're just bringing up weed seed from a lower depth. In the early part of the season when you get a decent rain or two a week, it's normally 3 days later before you'll notice the tiny weeds starting to pop up. Usually then, or the next day it is perfect condition to cultivate. The cultivator shown in the video was modified by my Dad back in the mid 80's. He found a horse drawn cultivator with 6 spike harrow teeth on each side, and mounted it to a DB cultivator frame. Great for when seedlings just popping through the surface. I have another one he modified, that has 4, 5 tine weeder's attached, like they use on push plows, and my Chore-Master pictured below. Will probably run the 12 shank through first, then use the one with the weeder's. Ought to stir the surface pretty good, and get most of the tiny hair roots turned up to the sun.

The set shown here, have a set of hiller's on. He never used them much, and not sure why. They work great. Weeds don't seem to grow well in hilled dirt.

When things get too tall to cultivate with the Bradley(s), I use my single wheel Chore-Master. And when the rains let up some, I've been experimenting with using corm gluten meal for weed prevention. It's basically the same thing as the organic Preen, but much cheaper. I buy corn gluten pellets, for cattle feed, and grind it in my hammermill. I spread it, either through a modified watering can, or this year, dug out an old drop spreader, and used that to cover a large area. Then use the Chore-Master to stir it in the top 1-1/2" or so. Works great in the drier part of the year. And so far, only 3 different types of weeds come up. Lots easier to manage..!! 

Attached Thumbnails

• Hilling Corn 007.jpg
  • Hilling Corn 002.jpg
  • 6-10-2014 application 001.jpg
  • 6-10-2014 application 007.jpg

• VSTROM803 and Likesspace have said thanks

#48 chieffan OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 5,759 Thanks
  • 4,269 posts

Posted January 23, 2015 - 06:09 PM

Anyone over 100 miles from home and has a top coat and brief case is an EXPERT !